Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Stories
I've been trying to write interesting stories, but my lack of experience and my love for quite long and wordy sentences had become some sort of handicap there. I can't help it, I do love long sentences, even if they might confuse you after a while. This situationt led me to ask you the following stuff just because I can.

What's your favorite type of character?

What are your favorite genres? (Or should I say which? Sarcasm + Confused )

What would you think if the protagonist dies at any point before reaching two thirds of the whole story?

What would you say if your favorite character dies too soon in your own opinion?

What do you think about conlangs? (Fake languages created by the authors for some specific purpose like describing a whole fake culture.)

What do you think about monsters and aliens?

Should we include them in our stories?

Or should we lean more on human beings than monsters or aliens?

Do you like to meet unknown, mysterious characters that never reveal themselves (completely)?

Do you prefer to read stories full of drama or packed with lots of action instead?

Do you prefer to take a look at stories that reflect reality as much as possible or not?

Should stories end with a happy ending, an ill fate or just leave you hanging?

Should a story include lots of heroes and NPC?

Or should we rely on villains and defective heroes that end up being pretty much helpless instead?

Do you think it is really necessary to describe characters in detail? (Including those like the shopkeeper you will only meet once)

I think I still got tons of questions to ask you here, but for now I guess these should suffice to let you start this discussion any time soon.
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }
(12-02-2017, 11:08 PM)kyonides Wrote: I've been trying to write interesting stories, but my lack of experience and my love for quite long and wordy sentences had become some sort of handicap there. I can't help it, I do love long sentences, even if they might confuse you after a while. This situationt led me to ask you the following stuff just because I can.

depends on the book
manga? action and animal
What would you think if the protagonist dies at any point before reaching two thirds of the whole story?

*mindblown*

What would you say if your favorite character dies too soon in your own opinion?

I'd cry and probable not read further
What do you think about conlangs? (Fake languages created by the authors for some specific purpose like describing a whole fake culture.)
interesting but overly awesome if its actually translatable and cohesive

if used properly theyre vital to a story even if just by definition

depends on the story

who says a human isent a monster at heart?
Do you like to meet unknown, mysterious characters that never reveal themselves (completely)?

as long as I can eventually find out about them then yes!
Do you prefer to read stories full of drama or packed with lots of action instead?

ACTION!
Do you prefer to take a look at stories that reflect reality as much as possible or not?

depends on the reflection for example One Piece actually reflects ALOT of real life topics while still being highly fantasy
that being said I'm sure chapter 887 is released by now so I'd better go read it

bittersweet is good at times...to sappy kills things and I'll fate should only be used sparingly

a few heros is fine NPC's are great! but multiple villains? NOW were talking!
Or should we rely on villains and defective heroes that end up being pretty much helpless instead?

this sounds GOOD! more books and literature should have defective villians
Do you think it is really necessary to describe characters in detail? (Including those like the shopkeeper you will only meet once)
no hell no...unless its certain senarios where the explination is needed

I think I still got tons of questions to ask you here, but for now I guess these should suffice to let you start this discussion any time soon.

hope that helps! ask more anytime!
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: 55e3faa432d9efb86b8f19a6f25c0126-dawz35x.png]

new logo for Yesteryear created by Lunarberry!
Reply }
An anti-hero who struggles with moral decisions or a normal person who has to make decisions with real consequences.
I've recently finished reading Pandora's Star which is full of "normal people" who make lots of small choices but they build up to a massive plot point.

Science-fiction. Aliens, Virtual reality (Ready Player One was amazing), space-ships, an in-depth study of the human condition.

Go for it. Stephen King kills all his characters eventually.

Author's choice. I respect it. It has to be justified though!

Despite being a linguist, I dislike conlangs. I feel the major problem with them is that they often come from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand the true origin of languages. Language is culture is language. You can't have one unless the other is fully developed too, which includes thousands of years of history. You can't separate the two - Tolkein understood this perfectly!

Love 'em!

If it makes sense. I've recently finished watching season 1 of "Colony" in which the Earth is colonised by an alien species but we never see them, only the effects of their influence via politics.

This depends on your story. Back to Pandora's Star, there's a fascinating alien who communicats with infrared light signals but the human who meets him only realises this thanks to retinal inserts which store the patterns and a very advanced AI which helps translate after many months of trial and error.

Sure, why not? It has to have a reason for this though.

Both are fine. I like political drama and space ship battles equally!

Not necessarily. I like to philosophise about the human condition... This doesn't require a life-like setting or reality.

Do you want me to feel happy or get me to buy the sequal too?

Sorry to repeat myself but Pandora's Star does this brilliantly. I lost count of the number of characters whose 1st person perspective we see the story through, including the hugely dangerous and completely alien species we lowly humans encounter. They experiment on us without even understaning our physiology which leads to a gruesome result (they don't understand that screams mean fear or pain... or that the red stuff in our bodies is vital to our survival).

Whatever advances the plot and gets your message across.

Again... If it serves the plot. Just enough detail so I can picture it but not so much as to distract from the point of your visit to the shop.
Reply }
WEREWOLVES!!!! Just kidding. The hero who is actually 'vulnerable'. The first Die Hard actually achieved that fairly well (Not the others). Sam, Frodo and Aragorn had fairly vulnerable moments in Lord of the Rings as well.

High Fantasy such as Lord of the Rings perhaps. You're getting a post from someone that actually read the Silmarillion (JRR Tolkein's 'bible' for Middle Earth). I also have copies of the first actual 'Conan the Barbarian' novels. Not exactly the same as the movies. And Manga/Anime of 'mainly' a Fantasy edge. No Gundam.

As a movie critic said when he saw the title: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, "What? They don't find him?" Kinda hard to tell a story without the protagonist at that point.

When Aeris died in Final Fantasy VII, I wanted bloody revenge.

Seen it before, even in the Tolkein material. So I have no worries as long as treated well. Of course, when your audience is reading about two characters speaking in said conlang, it is usally 'said' to be in the language.

When one thinks monsters, they tend to fall back upon old standbys. As far as aliens, it seems rather hard to get past either human-like variations, lizards or insects (thank to some TV miniseries or Starship Troopers). And if one talks monsters, they tend to always make them evil. But what of the 'human monster' being the more malevolent?

Definitely depends upon the story. In the 'Conan' novels, there was no actual trace of monsters. You may have had primitive ape-like men discussed, akin to neanderthal like men. But they almost never appeared in the first dozen or so. Oh, yeah. The ape-man in Conan the Destroyer WAS lifted from one of the novels (a total suck-fest of a movie IMO).

Oh, NOW I get to this query after the previous inquiries? Depends on the story. In a whole galaxy far, far away, the only malevolent and destructive alien was Jar Jar Binks!!!!!

Sometimes, an enigma works. Keeping things secret works. Subtle references, foreshadowing the events that may occur or give a hint who (or what) the character may driver the reader's attention.

Please do not write a DBZ novel!!!
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT Tell a little bit of a story... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT Tell a little bit of a story... FIGHT FIGHT!!!
How lame. You need to make the reader care for the characters, to despise the villain, to shock the reader if someone is endangered!

In high fantasy, not all that much. However, I also have read the Vampire Chronicles from Anne Rice, and enjoyed reading the characters like Lestat, Louis and company deal with the modern world.

it's kinda hard to have a cliffhanger if everyone was happy. How they pulled it off with Star Trek II and The Empire Strikes Back was fine. However, the basic premise of drama is (I) Create the situation (II) Put the heroes in the worst dilemma, and (III) resolution.

Just depends on the story. I will say that one needs to flesh out the characters a bit. To be honest, I didn't really know one dwarf from another when I first read 'The Hobbit'.

Helpless? Never make the villains helpless! If the heroes are against morons, the battle would be over quickly! So much for being heroic. You want the reader to be drawn into wanting the hero to succeed, even when wounded and hurting... Especially when he is wounded.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE (even if all of a sudden, that shopkeeper turns out to have the medallion that can lead to the alien spaceship... then describe him/her later) NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }