Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
You know what I don't like?
Issues that arise without any reason that you can think of.
Yesterday I've still been able to playtest my current project just fine. Today I'm getting script errors preventing me to start.
And I have absolutely no idea why as I've not done anything that would affect that to the project itself. All I have done inbetween my last successfull playtest and when I noticed it didn't work anymore was add images and audiofiles. Why, game? Why? T--T

Edit: Okay, now I am really confused. Even if I remove all of the custom scripts, the game still crashes. And if I plonk them into a new project with nothing else, it also crashes.
WTF, all was fine untill last night!
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Please don't spell my name "Yamina-chan". It's all small. Thank you =D
Reply }
Okay enough messing with RM2k3 I really should focus on my main project--

God fucking fricking dammit VX Ace why did you make your autotiles so stupid! 16x16 borders and a 32x32 centre tile is not goddamn usable practically 90% of the time! So many of my resources use a full 32x32 tile for every part of the autotile, because that's what every maker in the past did! You changed it into something really stupid! D:<

[Image: stupidautotiles.png]

I end up having to use extra tiles in the lower layer file, but I'm quickly running out of room, so I would then instead have to use upper layer tiles instead. Doing this however, is so stupid and clunky. It's counter-intuitive and makes my tilesets all over the place. I hate VXAce's mapping so much.

VXAce is so focused on using autotiles everywhere since it's caught up in that retro look, I'd like to well, not have to mesh autotiles and common tiles too often, but noooo. Sigh.

maybe i'll just go back to that rm2k3 again until someone make a proper editor for VXAce.
Reply }
I was just posed a question.  Can you sort data from RPGMaker XP variables and retrieve the value quickly?  Oh, sure, you can use the sort method in 'Array', but has anyone thought about how to put it into an event and return that final product?

Well, I did it in about 5 or so minutes.

In an event, you can use the SCRIPT call feature, so you can do a little Ruby coding... and this is what I came up with:
Code:
arr = []

for i in 11..14
arr.push($game_variables[i])
end
arr.sort!
p arr
p arr[3] # 4th item
$game_variables[6] = arr[3]
  Yes, I named the array 'arr'.  I was in a Captain Jack Sparrow mood.

In this, you can get the data in RMXP variables 11-14, and it grabs the last one of the array (remember, it's an index, so it is index value 3).  After that, it shoves the largest value into RMXP variable 6 as a result.

I later returned with some additional code (not shown above). The same event also looks to see WHICH variable had the largest value (or first one it encounters with that value), and returns that too.

For those wanting to see it work in a demo, just crank out a fresh one and put the below 'attached' Data folder in its place.

They also said the code had a problem with Drago's Core script, so this includes that script to show no conflict occurs... at no additional charge.

.zip   Data.zip (Size: 188.97 KB / Downloads: 4)
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Amazing scripting prowess being shown off by our wonderful Dervy-kun once again!  Very cheery

So I was thinking... I wanted to make an enemy that takes its time before throwing off powerful attacks... Similar to Final Fantasy's Tonberry!

[Image: koopa_troopa_vs__tonberry_by_trailerpark-d2z2bn8.gif]

I'm going to do my best to make it myself, but if I need help, I know just who to call  Winking

Also, in about 2 weeks, I'll be working on my game a LOT more than I have been. I'll be able to get out some screenshots of my game and stuff as well, and I'll post my first continent map as well! Lots of exciting things to come!  Blushing + Cheery
[Image: SP1-ResourceHunter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Director.png]

Destiny of End Thread: http://save-point.org/thread-5585.html
Destiny of End Twitter: https://twitter.com/DestinyofEnd
Destiny of End Youtube: (Coming soon)
Reply }
Should I put the ability to rewind time in my project?

So some explanation: you have limited gameplay days and then the venture to the final battle happens. Given that, I thought I would do something like Persona 4: you can jump back a few days (lets say 4) to the start of that day. This reverts the save to the exact state it was a few game-days before: character stats and all that. The problem I have is how to create this.
  • Can you save game data to an object? As opposed to a save file? How do I avoid infinite recursion of a save file with a save object having a save object having a...
  • Assuming the "rewind time save" object is created at the start of a day, how would I manage them? I'm supposing I'd create at the most 4 different saves, deleting the oldest at the start of each day. The reason I'd need four saves at all is because of the start of the game: I'd need to be able to cover days 1-4 until you gain access to the function day 5, but from then on... I suppose I'd actually only have one save object?
  • How do I manage them post-rewind? After jumping back to an earlier save four days in the past, you should be prevented from jumping again until you've gone through four days again. However, perhaps again it would be the same problem as above: there would have to be up to four different saves stored in the save file, and when the feature is unlocked, saves are deleted each day until you've only got one stored again.
  • It would be a lot less complicated to only rewind one day, but the player might not do much per-day (two events, plus levelling) to justify the function.
Alternately I could give the player excessive save slots, but even P4 with its 99 slots had the ability to rewind the game state - but it only did this at fixed points, to be fair. I don't have anywhere I could do that here.

Anyway I thought this idea was interesting in terms of how to handle it code-wise, so I rambled it out here, even if I might not use it.
Reply }
Finished developing my KyoGemBoost XP (uses gems to boost stats) and KyoPrizeShop XP (earn points and exchange them for prizes) scripts and made sure they were compatible and interacted as expected. I also noticed that KItem, KItemRefill, KyoPrizePacks and KyoPrizeShop get along swiftly so I released (somewhere else) the KyoScriptPack Item 4 pack a few hours ago.
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }
(07-29-2015, 02:35 AM)Taylor Wrote: Okay enough messing with RM2k3 I really should focus on my main project--

God fucking fricking dammit VX Ace why did you make your autotiles so stupid! 16x16 borders and a 32x32 centre tile is not goddamn usable practically 90% of the time! So many of my resources use a full 32x32 tile for every part of the autotile, because that's what every maker in the past did! You changed it into something really stupid! D:<

[Image: stupidautotiles.png]

I end up having to use extra tiles in the lower layer file, but I'm quickly running out of room, so I would then instead have to use upper layer tiles instead. Doing this however, is so stupid and clunky. It's counter-intuitive and makes my tilesets all over the place. I hate VXAce's mapping so much.

VXAce is so focused on using autotiles everywhere since it's caught up in that retro look, I'd like to well, not have to mesh autotiles and common tiles too often, but noooo. Sigh.

maybe i'll just go back to that rm2k3 again until someone make a proper editor for VXAce.

Okay, what's with all the hating on the Autotiles? Ya know, not every autotile needs to be used, and in a map, how many variations of ground tiles are you going to need?

By designating only a few tiles in your A5 to everything from rounded corners, full autotile pieces and variation pieces, you can easily create just as much diversity in VXA as you can in RMXP.

But for the purists, unless you're trying for a 500x500 map what you CAN do, is create your ground layers in RMXP, find a script and DLL called mapshot, take a picture, and add it as a parallax to your RMVXA... Then you can just keep it going in the background, utilize it as the backdrop, cover with a transparent A2 tile that is passable, and then start filling up those tiles

(Can also make the parallax look darker for editing before creating your map to make it look seemless..)

OR... try this... in A3 and A4 are basically 40 total autotiles.
Double up, make one autotile the flat borders, the other the corners. Then, sacrifice ONE map... and draw squares of all the corner ones. Then just shiftclick your map for all those rounded corner needs without having to worry about scripts, or losing out on autotiles.

With RMXP you end up with 7 autotiles without splitting them into two. With VXA, we have 20 groups of two autotiles.

Also, remember that events can be placed under without any issue, or script, so you can create autotile event characters that basically have the autotiles expanded on them, and set them under the player's feet

Then of course, being able to see a parallax and use it in a map while STILL working in the editor? Priceless.

There are ALWAYS options.....
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
Reply }
You're always coming along to try and defend it, huh.

Well eventually I did manage to get something nice out of the tile system. I'm still uncomfortable with the lack of layer options in the editor, but the rest just requires optimal construction of tilesets, in ways that aren't necessarily good, but VXA forces my hand.

I ended up making some autotiles into uh... well I did this in one part. It's basically 3x2 wall tile sets constructed into autotiles using the wall and ceiling parts, even though they're probably... not meant to be used that way.
[Image: general1_a4.png]
It doesn't look pretty, but it avoids the trouble of running out of room in A5. I still don't like how small the autotiles are, because it creates problems like the other screenshot. The fact the tiles are different sizes (16px for borders, 32 for a centre tile) makes it incompatible with most of my resources I have.

My only hope is I have enough room in the autotile areas, giving room for curved stuff (or non-transparent items) on A5, and do anything more on B-E that aren't objects as little as possible. But then again, there is more than enough room... it just doesn't feel like the "right way to do it" if I'm putting wall tiles on the upper layer or something. > ->

--

Right now I'm trying to fix up character sprites before I get back to early game maps, early game events, and some "actual gameplay". Not doing system script stuff constantly feels more like progress because it feels like my game's coming together. * ^*
Reply }
I've been asked to post this here, so I shall post this here. Sorry to double post, but it's kind of a different subject, so~.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/04/rpg...c-and-mac/

Right now, I'm not too fussed about the idea. It's nice to see a new maker, but we really need more information yet. It might just be More VX, But Now Portable to Mobile. If it allows conversion of VXAce to MV like 2000-2003 though, I'd love it. Obviously the scripts would be still VXAce, but if there are compatible additions to the UI it would be a wonderful thing. ... but I shouldn't be too hopeful and just keep doing what I'm doing. I've done enough maker hoping.
Reply }
RPG Maker MV? It sounds like a step in the right direction.

*Gasp* JavaScript?! If they wanted to cop out from proper cross-platform programming, SFML is open source, they could've adopted that instead! Java, JavaScript, .Net, Flash... this is all legacy crap that won't die out fast enough :(

Still, this is a license to print money. Hopefully the profits from MV will go towards creating an even better 'Maker'. Then again I'm a cynical bastard who has never been pleased with anything so...
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }