Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
 HiddenChest RGSS Player Executable
A BUMP Had to Make its Manifests Public!

Yeah, it's just another of my weird headings, I know. Laughing The curious thing about it is that it does make a lot of sense once you learn about what those manifests are. Let's start on how Linux finds its dependencies alias all the binary source files it requires to let the application run on such system.

The Linux Way

All Unix like OS's seems to follow the same logic, they depend on stuff like rpath to find default or custom so files on any specific location. You set rpath information and the application will look for it wherever the binary executables is located.

There is no real need to edit the $PATH global variable at all.

The Windows aka Nightmare Mode Way

In Windows (any version) you just can't depend on rpath to find dynamic libraries or dll's because nothing like that ever existed! Shocked

What do you do then? Confused 

You either have to place all dll's in the same directory as the executable file. (A gross style according to some emotionless South American forumer!)

You can compile some Manifest file, a pseudo XML file that will include "minimal" bloatware stuff only to tell the darn executable it can also look for dll's in a custom location without editing %PATH% manually. Happy with a sweat  Sadly that's not the end of it. If your compiled manifest file includes illegal characters, nothing will ever warn you about it!! Shocked Nothing tells you that's a bug!! Angry  Still, you need to add another XML file also named a manifest to let your executable look for all the files you listed there.

Well, you can still edit the global %PATH% variable on windows, but you need to make sure the new path you are gonna add is located before it will read the default path for dll's. Shocked In few words you need to prepend it to the list of semi colon separated list of paths. Confused Usually you wouldn't tell the average Windows user like the simple Lani to do that, especially if it's just for RGSS games. Happy with a sweat

In both cases, Linux and Windows, you can install the so's or dll's, but there's a risk of polluting your OS with different versions of common libraries, which is highly undesirable!! Shocked  

The thing is that I only needed to update the binary executables for all Windows versions, guys! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

You're right, I didn't need to waste so much time pasting information that's just won't make sense to the simple Lani kind of users. Laughing + Tongue sticking out
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
HiddenChest RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-21-2018, 10:44 PM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-22-2018, 06:33 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-25-2018, 12:17 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-25-2018, 05:48 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-26-2018, 12:55 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-26-2018, 04:42 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 11-29-2018, 05:10 AM
RE: MKXPPLUS RGSS Player Executable - by kyonides - 12-01-2018, 07:15 AM