Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread about it or not. I was lying in bed as I thought this up, and I was thinking: "Man, it would be so cool if I could change certain settings of my event systems while playtesting the project."

So I thought to myself, maybe I should turn my event system settings into variables. Alright, here's where I'm going with it.

Right now, all of my event system settings are stored in a hash (PK8_SYS = {}) and I think it's really working out for me. I'm thinking about taking this to the next level, where my event systems would have a setting which would make (yeah, I wish I could make it NOT mandatory but this is awesome should the creator ever want to change a setting mid-way) you specify a particular Game Variable ID all of those settings would be housed into. (then it becomes $game_variables[id] = PK8_SYS)

Now that the settings are all housed in a variable, they could then be changed during the game through script calls. Either $game_variables[id]['setting'] = value or $game_variables[PK8_SYS['var_setting']]['setting'] = value would do.

I haven't tested any of this out yet, but I think it should work. If it does, then man... I'm a freaking genius!

Edit: Mock Example Event Code
Code:
@> call script:        # Do not modify this.
                       PK8_SYS = {}
@> call script:        PK8_SYS['setting_a'] = 20
                       PK8_SYS['setting_b'] = false
                       PK8_SYS['setting_c'] = "What?"
                       PK8_SYS['button'] = "L"
                       PK8_SYS['sys_switch_id'] = 20
                       PK8_SYS['sys_variable_id'] = 1
@> Conditional Branch: $game_variables[PK8_SYS['sys_variable_id']].is_a?(Hash)
@@> Comment:            (Do stuff here with $game_variables[PK8_SYS['sys_variable_id']] )
@@>                    else
@@> Call script:        PK8_SYS['sys_variable_id'] = PK8_SYS
@>                     end

Edit 2: My mind went "boom" as soon as I finished typing all of that down. Right now I'm testing this on my Change Leader system.

Edit 3 (7:59am): Success! I even tested whether settings can be changed during the game, and it worked. I am loving this! Now to test this with transfers...
Edit 4 (8:01am): Too bad this ($game_variables[PK8_CL['sys_variable_id']]['lead_old_button'] = "X" )
is going to be a long script call, unless I create my own methods just for the system, but I'm not so sure what calls to make.
Edit 5 (8:04am): Ahh, this handled tran (sfers well. I think I'm stumbling onto something good here!
Edit 6 (8:08am): Alright, time to check Saves.
Edit 7 (8:11am): Saves are fine. I'm ecstatic!
Edit 8 (8:17am): Yeah, these regular variable based calls are way too long for people to be able to memorize it. Looks like I'm going to have to abbreviate the variable setting. ("sys_variable_id" -> "sys_var_id")
Edit 9 (10:45am): I haven't done much of anything with this new approach to my systems, but I do love how I can finally give my systems some script calls which can manipulate the settings.
Reply }
Just did a massive equipment/skills overhaul on my current game to improve the Skill Change system that I'm trying to make.

The amount of skills the main character has is a little ridiculous even by my standards of ridiculousness... Out of forty-plus abilities, only fourteen are learned via level-up. The rest are unlocked via switching equipment and whatnot. XD
Reply }
Other than getting some new graphics for the system, MrMo's ABS Ultimate is pretty much done. So much betatesting.... a few new tweaks... I even added a couple more things like plain old bombs that go off in a few seconds.

Now's time to do some touch ups to a few older scripts that need some repair.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
(08-02-2011, 12:42 PM)Samven Wrote: Just did a massive equipment/skills overhaul on my current game to improve the Skill Change system that I'm trying to make.

The amount of skills the main character has is a little ridiculous even by my standards of ridiculousness... Out of forty-plus abilities, only fourteen are learned via level-up. The rest are unlocked via switching equipment and whatnot. XD

Sounds like my type of game. So I'm guessing you have over 4500 skill animations too? I use a transformation system via events to add/remove new skills to my characters.

Right now I'm drawing new battlers and adding a sandbox mode that gives the player access to all 150 hybrids. Hybrids can be unlocked depending what you do. So I'm drawing and perfecting things right now. I'm way to nervous to show anything yet. I don't wanna get burned. Thankfully no one has ever been "burned" at save-point. This place rocks, but yeah releasing an AO rated game is gonna get some fire no matter what. So I just gotta make it really good and near perfection... Ummm, I'm also drawing many title screens for Omega Force Hybrida® and Event Solarisa™. I may even fuse both games and rename it "Galaxy Hybrida." They do take place in the same universe.
Reply }
Finally got rid of one of the most annoying bugs in project ^^. Other bugs fixed include the ones involving summons, filling in some variables, etc, etc. Otherwise added more npc's as a distraction from debugging things. Might post an update to my project post some time later.
Upcoming RPG XP project: Legends of the Flaming Falcons
In a distant future an ancient threat stirs...heroes of old take up their arms once more.
For my writing project that includes my rmxp project I'm also maintaining a private wiki; if you wish to follow me, let me know.
My developer blog can be found here:
http://the-otherworld-tales.blogspot.be/

[Image: Gazeteer%20-%20Pherione.gif]
Gazetteer responsible for Pherione's Developer Interviews. My thread here.

More info or questions? PM me
Reply }
(08-03-2011, 01:34 AM)Hybrida Wrote:
(08-02-2011, 12:42 PM)Samven Wrote: Just did a massive equipment/skills overhaul on my current game to improve the Skill Change system that I'm trying to make.

Sounds like my type of game. So I'm guessing you have over 4500 skill animations too? I use a transformation system via events to add/remove new skills to my characters.
XD There is a pretty ridiculous amount of animations I've done, aye.

Today I did a bit more mapping. I want to have a kind of game where there's a strong narrative, but the player isn't on rails. So, basically, there are a few optional towns and dungeons available from after the first hour or so.

I should probably make a topic for all of this. XD

3DS Friend Code: 3411-1039-9335
(Add me for teh pokeymanz and barvely deefalt!)

[Image: tumblr_inline_nzmbrz53G11sotucm_1280.png]
Click for the latest update - and vote for someone to die! >8D
Reply }
Just realized having a "sys_switch_id" setting in my system is very pointless, especially when I have something like this implemented. Will work on a version 2.11 very soon.

Edit: Here's a cheap plug. If anyone has the time, try this system out and let me know what script calls you'd like to see in the next version (or make your own and submit them to me so I can add them in and credit you).
Reply }
Realization.... my dudes heal on leveling with MrMo's ABS? That was built in and hardwired? NOooooo....!

Okay, now it's a switch in the config. So, to all would-be users, you get to decide if your guys heal on leveling up with the upcoming MrMo demo or not. Just turn it on if you like.

Meanwhile, I'm cleaning up the demo and making it neater. When I came up with a new item or skill, I just replaced something else or whatever. Now all the new skills or items are after all the default ones. It just seems more professional.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
I'm adjusting the resolution of Omega Force Hybrida® to 1024 x 768. I used a script from here. Yeah I'm fixing the the windows in the battle mode and making the battle backs bigger to match the new resolution. I got it just perfect. So far I have to figure out how to make the transitions bigger. I'll have it in no time. (thanks to being really smart).

Having enemy female characters above 7 feet tall causes the Window_help to appear over their faces, and it was annoying. I'm so glad I solved this problem. Now I can add my really tall girls to the game. As for the maps, I'm going to add a map and a HUD in the black spaces caused by the resolution script.

Before: Jammed up
After: Alice can see now. Plus more room.
Note: All battlers and backgrounds shown are obsolete and not used in game. Just for show here.
Reply }
A little bit more betatesting on the ABS, though nearly complete. More cleaning. More routines to speed up the system. And I now made it so I can trigger bombs with a button press rather than using a timer. Pipebombs are not a pipedream anymore.

Reply }