Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 "Episodic" vs. Full releases
I've been thinking about starting a discussion on this for a while.

Anyway, heya community, let's discuss the advantages and disadvantages of episodic releases or full (COMPLETE) releases of projects.

I personally don't have a lot to say (nothing to think of, anyway) since I haven't released a project since 2006 (well, that one project was a mini-game and it was lame. :P) but I'll try to think about what advantages or disadvantages each of them have but I'm afraid I'm a bit biased here. Some of the reasons listed here are stolen from Tal.
  • Full
    • Project completely released all in one shot.
    • You don't get much feedback/guidance along the way.
  • Episodic
    • If a project is really good, it tends to keep suspense and interest levels high.
    • They get released at a faster rate and in smaller chunks.
    • Creators can get critiqued about each release from other players which would help him/her improve.
    • I believe that since the creator is working on releasing his/her project in parts rather than one full project, the creator can spend more time developing an episode... or something. I don't know how to word it right, but you guys get what I'm saying, right?
    • Episodic releases might come across as "pretentious" to certain people.

Alright, let's get the discussion rolling. Would you prefer doing complete releases or episodic releases? Why? Also, just state what advantages full releases have over episodic releases and vice versa, if you've thought of any.
Reply }
Episodic Release projects do have the bonus of keeping suspense going in very much the way as a CLIFFHANGER serial... something akin to ye olde Serial movies such as Flash Gordon. I am NOT that old.

But a Full Release project has the 'supposed' concept of having tighter continuity if done right. Since it is released in one shot, it is not prone to having continuity mistakes. If the writer decides to take the story in a different direction, he may forget that something was already released in an earlier episode.
Reply }
I would go for full release, since the players won't know what to expect other than all those promotional junk like pictures so you would be able to surprise the player and not let them wait to continue playing the game(Episodic Release).
Reply }
I find episodic releases help motivate the creator better. When you finish one chapter, you can get a satisfied feeling of completion, and also much more support or feedback than a full release.
Reply }
I'd have to say episodic releases. It helps to know what you are doing wrong instead of a full release with the same mistakes throughout.
Reply }
Okay... then don't forget to vote. Tongue sticking out
Reply }
It depends on how long and complex your game is. Long games like Master of the Wind can take years to complete, and it can be difficult to keep the same level of motivation for such an extensive amount of time.
Reply }
if you make a mistake or wish to change a part of the game then you would have to send out a new chapter of the same number which would not be very smart.
Reply }
Unless the changes are REALLY huge, then you would probably be working on it just a little longer and release it just as an update. Or you can release the update with the new chapter when it's done. If it's big changes, like storyline changes, it should only be changed for the better.
Reply }
If you are changing something, it will always be for the better to that person.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   To full screen or not to full screen? PK8 8 11,372 08-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Last Post: SP27