Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Peer pressured badly to switch engines?
Saying that versioning doesn't really matter is as naive as omitting the fact that there are doodads for XP as well and they have been around for quite some time. You gotta know by now that there are two kinds of versioning systems, the one tools like git and subversion use based on every small change to the code and the semantic versioning. True, there are lots of devs of many applications that mistreat that feature. I've seen it a lot, sadly, but every single part of the version number has purpose.

Did MV use a year based version or name like Ubuntu? Nope, they tried using the semantic versioning thing the old fashion way and really fail to really reflect the real changes made to the core plugins for bugs that truly existed and are still documented, and probably some GUI modifications were included as well. I have nothing against improving the GUI for good or practical reasons. I would ignore MV's failures if they had used a date or some other custom versioning system. Then it would have been demonstrated how they cared about marketing and not so much about quality. And did you forget what I said about the persisting jitter issue? Your memory gotta be getting bad, conveniently unreliable. Laughing

I won't count the parallax as a glorious layer because it's just a large sprite, nothing else. I focused on those layers with events and tiles.

MV offers more layers because they separate weather and fog in separate coats. Good, i won't complain about that. Yet, I can't say it's a reason why anybody would or should move to MV or any later versions available out there.

Now I even have to agree on a point made by childish Remi. The tileset system sucks in MV. It might be slightly improved compared to VX Ace because of the tile dimensions but I wonder how many people go back to 16 or 32. If you've seen them, let me know about them. I might even love playing their games. Even so you can't add more stuff like you can do in XP, the installment that didn't mess with tilesets as much as other versions did.

OK, there's another feature I'd have loved to see in XP, the regions. That would have made XP look great from a core system perspective. I don't know if I'd accept other changes. Vehicles? It's optional in my opinion. Not all games might need it but it they had added the feature, I wouldn't have complained about that.

Nope, HiddenChest or mkxp won't run on web browsers. Is it impossible to achieve? Well, one would obviously need to look for recent alternatives that now exist. MRuby was a nice concept, but it doesn't include any Marshalling at all, a great downside. Wait a second! People have managed to run mkxp-z on a portable device. It's just a project in early stages anyway. Oh but there's WASM out there and Ruby devs are working on taking advantage of its online capabilities so there's a hope for several Ruby projects.

Neither XP nor mkxp based engines are top notch like Unreal and others. I gotta admit that calling MV total crap would be a lie. It's just crappy but it seems there are features that people like you love. Good for you, but I aint buying your MV is ultra kind of propaganda. You even admitted that Android ports suck. Oh yeah, mkxp-z already achieved the same goal. At the end they're no such a terribly great gap between Ruby and JS based engines.

Yeah, the advent of WebGL and other projects seem to be an advantage for JS stuff... for the time being. I hope they truly take full advantage of its capabilities. Time will tell. Again, not against any good project that might become a playable and replayable (RPG) classic like many AAA games.

Am I blind? Nope, it's just that I won't admit it's even barely nostalgia what makes me use any of the RGSS based engines. There's some but it's the developer / company and the publishers the ones to be blamed for that. Truly, they could exploit the benefits of selling them even for another decade or so. Instead, they want them to silently disappear. That only demonstrate to people like all of us here that they hate their own products. That should baffle people's minds for many years to come.

Just as a side note, I'm not asking any of you to use XP or VX Ace just because. I don't mind if you keep using, I dunno, Renpy or any other. You gotta have your own reasons, do whatever it pleases you. My point has always been this hypocrite move from certain people to disregard the old versions for not good enough reasons, especially those that arrived later on at this tarmac of game making. For those that were there ever since RM2K or later editions, I suspect many did it just by thinking they would become more successful for making or remaking it in a later version. Fine, yet, that doesn't mean they've got the right to push people like me for not making many plugins. That happened to me ever since MV was a mere rumor.

If somebody loves parallax mapping, keep doing it. I know that's not for me, I'd rarely rely on them unless I simply need some sunset or the like for very specific reasons.

Anyway, would should anybody change their engine based on the belief that the newer version is the right version for their games and even mine? If I have an useful tool, why can't people stick to it and fully exploit it? XP isn't buggy except for what Wulfo already mentioned regarding the false return value while evaluating scripts or script calls. Probably there are other minor issues but it's hard to find a total crash or even a overwritten project that ends up corrupting a large enough portion of the game as to make it unusable, uneditable. MV has done this, even recently.
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
}

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 10:39 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 12:32 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 01:55 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 02:05 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by DerVVulfman - 01-26-2023, 03:09 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 04:53 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 05:38 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Melana - 01-26-2023, 05:57 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 06:20 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by DerVVulfman - 01-26-2023, 08:26 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by kyonides - 01-26-2023, 09:32 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 11:01 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by JayRay - 01-27-2023, 02:08 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by JayRay - 01-27-2023, 02:20 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by DerVVulfman - 01-27-2023, 05:07 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by kyonides - 01-27-2023, 05:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   VX versus XP. Your view upon the two engines. aerendyll 27 33,786 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Xathia Vastar