Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Is making games an art?
This subject came out in the IRC, when I proposed TheLastArt as a new name for our community. The idea behind that was that making games could be considered a new form of art, especially considering how important a role visuals, music, design and all these factors play in modern games, which are not just about gameplay anymore.
Of course making games includes purely technical phases, think about programming them, but in my opinion these days the whole process has got more of an artistic activity than of a technical one.
What do you think?
[Image: f7d70f7d-d21f-470a-b93d-fa23cfcfaeb5_zpsfe7368c0.png] [Image: facebook_icon.png] [Image: youtube_128x128-120x120.png] [Image: deviant.png] [Image: save-point.png]
Reply }
Why, of course it is.
Even though 'Art' is a word that can apply to much.
Making games is mostly a ceative process in my oppinion and I have heard the phrase "this game is a wonderfull pice of art" on more then one occasion. (And as a sidenote on your title suggestion you mentioned: I think it sounds like all other forms of arts are lost and this would be the only one left. Or as if there were no new forms of Arts left to discover. Either way, it's depressing. Sidenote End ;D)
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Please don't spell my name "Yamina-chan". It's all small. Thank you =D
Reply }
The intended meaning was just that game making is the most recently born.
[Image: f7d70f7d-d21f-470a-b93d-fa23cfcfaeb5_zpsfe7368c0.png] [Image: facebook_icon.png] [Image: youtube_128x128-120x120.png] [Image: deviant.png] [Image: save-point.png]
Reply }
I think the process is more a technical one. Even though games can be made without any technical knowledge, most people don't like to do that. They make (small) modifications to the engine, or just download a script that someone else made. I also see a lot of PGC (procedural generated content) lately. But that might also because I'm just interested in that :P. PGC has a lot of potential, and it reduces the "art" part of the game. Minecraft is a good example IMO, it focuses mostly on the PGC, the sprites just sucks, it doesn't even have a story, and its still a lovely game. No art, just PGC and gameplay.
*insert signature here.
Reply }
If movies are art (which they are) then games are as well. After all, games consist of Graphics(art), Music(art), Stories(art), Programming (art?)

Is programming art? FROM WIKIPEDIA: Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging symbolic elements in a way that influences and affects the senses, emotions, and/or intellect.

Yes I think games are art.
Valdred
Tech Administrator of Save-Point

Reply }
I wouldn't consider it a new form of art. It's merely become more accessible to a wider creative base. Also, art is in the eye of the beholder. There are some games that I, personally, would definitely not consider art.
Reply }
Actualy beauty-not art- is in the eyes of the beholder.
For instance. Music is art,But I dont think Limp biscuit is that great.Someone out there probably disagrees.
but see that dialog means nothing in its artistic properties.Being Art only really requires creating something as a form of expression and entertainment.

Eco is a good example of why games Is easily an art.
Its like the difference between House and ambient.At the end of the day,their both made for the purpose of speaking to you.
And whether that message rings or is flat,is just an opinion at best.
Reply }
It doesn't require expression, it's just better art if it does. Listen some of today's music. Not much expression there, is it?
Valdred

Reply }
thats why entertainment is also there.
Reply }
Yeah, but entertainment (pop music, Hollywood movies, etc.) is art too right? It's just on a lower level.
Valdred

Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Literature Gaming and Film Making Restrictions kyonides 1 3,397 02-28-2020, 05:02 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   It's now legal to crack DRM on games sometimes DerVVulfman 4 5,577 11-03-2018, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Kirito
   L1Games's New vs Used Games Video PK8 13 18,429 05-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Ace
   What Games are you currently playing? Mega Flare 113 98,965 04-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Last Post: Waddle Dee
   Laguna Games LagunaX1 9 11,060 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: LagunaX1
   Games you want made KasperKalamity 6 8,475 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
   Recently bought games/dvds/blurays/<media> rm-rf 11 11,928 03-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Kristovski