Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
 Shiroiyuki's Battler Tutorial
Lesson One: Sprite-to-Battler, PART TWO

1) The Perspective Test

Alright! Now that you have a workable sketch you feel comfortable with....flip it over. Yes, you heard me correctly; turn the paper upside down.

Hold this up to the light and see what it looks like.

[Image: chinachick2.png]

Notice anything? What we just thought was perfect now looks...off. This is because our minds work in very one-sided ways. We accept imperfections and problems with perspective because we don’t wish to see them. Flipping the paper over forces our eyes take it all in.

Make sure to fix any problem areas before inking, if possible.

2) INKING!

Yay, fun stuff.

Go over your pencil lines with an ink pen. BUT WAIT! Not just any old ordinary ink pen will do. Well, okay, yeah it probably would....but for nice, crisp, clean lines – you need something better than that old chewed up Officemate you found beneath your couch cushion.

This is the only time I ever splurge on art crap. Seriously. Invest in a nice ballpoint pen (or heck, go for the ink-pot-and-fountain-pen system if you are really serious) with a fine tip on it. I’d say .5 or .7 is best for line work, but it depends on the person’s style. Find one that works for you and go at it.

Always test the pen on another sheet of paper before using it on artwork. That way if there is any built-up gunk you won’t ruin your drawing (says from experience -_-).

Take your time and try to be as neat and ‘flowing’ as possible. Experiment with line thickness. I know it is hard your first time, but you’ll get it eventually.

If you make any mistakes or cross any lines that aren’t supposed to be crossed, don’t sweat it. We can rebuild them, we have the technology.

[Image: chinachick3.png]

As you can see I fixed some issues (like hand placement, hair/head shape, thigh muscle, and right foot) in the last step before inking.

Erase all pencil lines OR leave a few in there for that ‘sketchy’ look. Depends on personal taste and style – but keep in mind if you do leave some in on this battler and have others yet to do, you also should leave pencil lines visible on those, too. Why? Because you don’t want several styles running amuck in your game. Stay consistent.

Since I’m lazy I’m going to leave them there for now and instead, cleanup the areas outside the ink lines.

3) Scan your drawing

If you don’t have a scanner available, go down to your nearest Staples and have one of those guys do it for you. Don’t take a picture with your camera phone; that will only give you the blurriest image imaginable to work with and you’ll end up hating this process with a passion.

Try to scan it using a reasonably high resolution. I go for 300 because it produces a LARGE ENOUGH IMAGE to work with and color. For black and white images you can save it as a .tif if you like without losing quality.

Send it to a folder you’ll find easily again. Desktop works, too.

Get these steps done and when ready, head to Part Three (Photoshop)!

----------------------------
Part Three will be up soon.

You may be asking yourself, 'GEE SHIRO -- THIS STUFF ISN'T EVEN HELPFUL TO ME. BORING! WHY SHOULD I BOTHER READING?!?!!'

Be patient; I'm trying to cater to all sorts of skill levels here so I thought I should make a very in-depth tutorial. The next part of Lesson One will be exclusively Photoshop work so you can just jump right in there if you want to. ^_^ Stay tuned.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Shiroiyuki's Battler Tutorial - by Shiroiyuki - 05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Shiroiyuki's Battler Tutorial - by Boot - 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Shiroiyuki's Battler Tutorial - by Shiroiyuki - 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink  RPG Developer Bakin: The Active Timed Battle System Tutorial JayRay 0 921 01-09-2023, 04:36 AM
Last Post: JayRay
   Tutorial: How to create a minimap in Smile Game Builder JayRay 1 2,725 05-11-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   Using OODA to write battler AI DoubleX 0 4,056 07-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: DoubleX
   Liberated Pixel Cup Tutorial DerVVulfman 2 6,692 08-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Simple Blood Tutorial ClockworkAngel 6 15,604 04-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Last Post: yamina-chan
   Shapeshifter Tutorial KasperKalamity 0 4,552 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
   MetalRenard's Music Tutorial Thread - Videos! MetalRenard 14 20,718 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   [Pixel Art] Cactus Tutorial Kain Nobel 1 8,804 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   Happy Map Tutorial (Photoshop) Shiroiyuki 9 13,666 06-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Last Post: MagitekElite
   TUTORIAL TWO: OUTDOOR MAPPING(Port City) computerwizoo7 4 7,630 05-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Last Post: HakktHazard