Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Global Warming
I guess I'll get it rolling.

Do you think global warming is real?
Yes.

Do you think that the media and businesses are hyping global warming too much?
Depends on the definition of media. Al Gore? Certainly. The media? Not quite, although they do misrepresent certain aspects of global warming...
See: Businesses? Two words: energy corporations.

Do you think that we, as a society, should switch to greener energy?
Yes: it's an excellent opportunity for energy independence AND...

Not completely related...

Not to mention here, in California, it would be quite an excellent business venture. And seeing as how unemployment is around... 12% or so, I'd say it'd be a good investment in job production.

Do you think the idea of global warming is being pushed onto society?
Yes, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad thing. Just like the discovery of a heliocentric universe took a few people and a couple of executions to spread the word, so too will global warming. (Minus the execution part... I hope.)

Do you think global warming is human caused or is it just nature?
It'd say that it's part human, part nature. While It's TRUE that the climate naturally changes, it shouldn't be doing it at this rate:
[Image: huahuahuehua.gif]

And please, before anyone mentions 'climategate', you have to read this:
Quote:University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit Director Phil Jones wasn't "hiding" anything that wasn't already being openly discussed in scientific papers. He was using a "trick"—a technique—published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

This email exchange from 1999 seems to refer to scientists examining past climate data and communicating with one another about it. In particular, Jones is talking about how scientists compare temperature data from thermometers with temperature data derived from tree rings. Comparing that data allows scientists to derive past temperature data for several centuries before accurate thermometer measurements were available. The global average surface temperature since 1880 is based on thermometer and satellite temperature measurements.

The "trick" is actually a technique (in other words, a "trick of the trade") used in a peer-reviewed, academic science journal article published in 1998. "Hiding the decline," another phrase that has received much attention, refers to another technique used in another academic science journal article. In any case, no one was tricking anyone or hiding anything. Rather, this email exchange shows scientists communicating about different ways to look at the same data that were being discussed at the time in the peer-reviewed literature. Later the same data were discussed at length in a 2007 IPCC report.
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci...egate.html)
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Global Warming - by bacon - 12-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Global Warming - by Helel - 12-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Global Warming - by computerwizoo7 - 12-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Global Warming - by Guardian - 12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Global Warming - by Alpha-Mad - 12-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Global Warming - by Captain Wow - 12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Global Warming - by Captain Wow - 12-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Global Warming - by Ramiro - 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Global Warming - by Captain Wow - 12-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Global Warming - by fgsfds - 12-22-2009, 05:10 AM