Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
 Maps and screenshots thread
are the inventory and equipment screens done in the same way?
Reply }
You betcha! Configuration with volume control, mini-game menus, character training, and various information screens are all handled this way while the game map remains active. What I did eliminate was a 'main menu' and a status menu. Who needs a status menu if your equipment menu can set up to show everything anyway?
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
alright i quit
Reply }
lol, sounds awesome DerVVulfman.
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
Reply }
(10-10-2013, 05:04 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Yep. Each screen uses an actual background image with transparencies so you can see the field map underneath... which is still ACTIVE! I have nearly 10 races, and each has their own background image style and custom 'rectangle' cursor. I have green and brown nature styles in mind, along with a fairly HAIRY look for a particularly NASTY race.
Now I'm filled with morbid curiosity! Grinning

I do agree that it looks pretty spectacular.
Reply }
Adding backgrounds into a menu screen isn't that hard. You basically create a blank sprite at the beginning of the system (including the picture filename of course), and disposing it when you exit the menu. At the same time, I made all the windows in the menus totally transparent so you do not see the windowskins and borders. I use a module containing a list of pics from which to choose my background ('Skill-Hairy","Skill-Scaly","Skill-Marble", etc). Moghunter did the whole 'background-image-for-menu' thing years ago and I've studied his basic technique which was quite simple. Rewrote them to make them cleaner of course.

The hard part was to integrate that with my Menu in Maps system. That system puts all your menus straight into the MAP system itself and eliminates your need for a main menu (ie... press 'I' for Items menu, press 'S' for Skills). You need a compatible keyboard script and a hella lot of tweaking, but what do you expect?
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
even though it's not in a screen yet, I DO have a map to show off... (no trees or houses, just the landscape.)

[Image: mapteaser.png]

Like I said the file is a biggun... Feedback?
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
Reply }
It looks a little more top-town angled than I'm used to, but this is without a point of reference or scale. It might help if there was a familiar object of the same scale in the terrain. Also... it's quite green. A lot o' lichen on the stonework with little gray from the granitework I guess.

Reply }
I think you could make the rocks a bit more gray to help them stand out from the background.
Reply }
OMG. Another screenshot from DerVVulfman????? The end of the world is nigh!!!

.png   Shopping.png (Size: 156.94 KB / Downloads: 24)

I had a little fun with my shop system. You can see through the transparencies (though barely) and see the characters underneath. The fonts were altered so I can get more items per page. And the possessions / stats window can show a whole lot more data than before.

And if you are wondering if I changed the windowskin compared to the last shot... Kinda. The other background design is used for dragon-borne characters. This border/background/skin design is for something... else.

Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Pretty Maps; Bad Design. MechanicalPen 12 13,145 01-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Steel Beast 6Beets
Brick Common Event Library (Development + Brainstorm thread) PK8 3 9,007 02-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   HEY HEY JAY RAY #1: World Maps JayRay 4 7,659 01-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Last Post: Taylor
   World Maps bacon 18 23,535 01-07-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: JayRay
   Getting beyond 999 maps without scripts in Parallax maps. JayRay 1 5,732 10-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Big Maps vs. Small Maps bacon 28 36,857 05-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Last Post: MechanicalPen
  Game Idea Thread KasperKalamity 30 35,434 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
   The Critique & Feedback thread deValdr 15 19,722 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Guardian
   [Hiatus] Windowskin Generator Contribution Thread PK8 7 14,731 07-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Last Post: decibel