Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Game Design Colleges
Hello world!

Been browsing the net for a good degree plan for college that focuses mainly on Game Design and programming and have come across 1 so far that look good, and wanted to get input or many other ideas on where to attend.

Devry

The one i had found at Phoenix University really wasnt what i wanted.
Reply }
Don't go for game programming.
Go for regular programming.
If you go for game programming you end up doing wonderful assignments like this:
http://i46.tinypic.com/22hjrq.png
I have yet to do a single thing actually relevant to programming a game.

This week I am discussing input handling with people who think that it will eat all the system resources because "there are like thousands of input combinations the game needs to check all the time, that's intense"
The instructor for the course responded with "You are right, that's why we have AI"
And like half the class thinks that rand() with weighted odds is AI

FML :|

Edit - Oh yeah forgot to mention how we're doing freaking 1st grade addition in 'Math for Game Programming' and people are struggling with it augh
Here's a few sample questions from the quizzes: 22 + 3, 6 / 3, -8 / 2
I want a refund
Reply }
WHat school and degree you going to/at/for? cause if that is all it is im not gonna bother with school lol
Reply }
Devry, Game and Simulation Programming

Run awaaaaay
Reply }
Gaming courses are a total rip, I know like three or four people who have signed up for them, found out that they're bullshit, and then quit. Seriously, you should learn programming, C++ is pretty common.

The easiest way to get your foot in the door for game creation, or pretty much anything these days, is to set up an online portfolio to showcase your expertise, whatever that may be.
How the hell do you think Penny Arcade got so popular? The guys do artwork for Blizzard's strategy guides now, hell they have their own videogames.

Anyway, that's just my two pence. I have no genuine experience, this is just my observation.
Reply }
Well that sucks. Good thing about college i dont pay for it so thats a plus, dont gotta waste my money, guess back to looking for another degree.... blah
Reply }
First of all, you are looking wrong. Sorry, I just need to point this out.

There are hundreds of different courses for each person.

Computer Games Design is not Computer Games Programming. If you make that assumption you will find yourself on the wrong course and disappointed.

Computer Games Design focuses on the design side (obv).
Computer Games Art focuses more on concept art and visualising areas and such.
Computer Games Modelling on the actual creation of the models and graphics.
Computer Games Programming - you will be using C, and similar languages, doing the backend. No design, no creativity. Just programming.

I am currently on a Computer Games Programming course and I can tell you it is not worth it. Everything we have done in year one could have been done in a couple of weeks from the books we used.

One way to sortof check is this:

BA (Bachelor of Arts) - you will be designing, drawing, animating, etc.
BSc (Bachelor of Science) - you will be programming.
Reply }
Yea i know I could self teach myself in a few weeks but the college degrees look good on my Army Boards so no matter what will be going through it just need to decide on which one to do...
Reply }
Well, it's your future, don't let anybody drastically influence your decisions. Sometimes it's just good experience to not get what you want out of something. (Though on the flip side, it's awesome to get exactly what you're after. ;D)
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Game Releases kyonides 0 2,308 01-22-2021, 05:39 AM
Last Post: kyonides
   I can't wait to play *insert video game here* - topic EJlol 12 18,483 04-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Last Post: jajajaj312
   Selling Music Meant for Game Mods? Python Blue 5 6,976 01-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Python Blue
   video game logic KasperKalamity 4 7,414 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Samven
   Slavery: The Video Game [HOAX!] PK8 3 6,572 09-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Hsia_Nu
   Unity 3D Game Engine is now FREE Hsia_Nu 4 6,856 11-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Queue
   Last video game played? PK8 18 25,728 07-12-2009, 04:51 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman