Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Privacy
Privacy

In the book, 1984, the world was controlled by the government and "Big Brother" was always watching. In the world we live in today, new technologies are being implemented, most are useful. Yet, as the years go by, the government seems to be watching us more and more. the government is able to tap into your phone diectory, the government has placed more street cameras, and the government is able to know exactly your location with a very small piece of info such as an IP addreass of even a cell-phone call.

• Do you think the government is watching us more and reducing the amount over privacy we have?
  • If so, do you think this is for the greater good?
  • Do you think that the world could become a distopia like 1984?
  • Do you think that technology plays a role in this?

This is a mature thread. Spam will not be tolerated.
Reply }
Do you think the government is watching us more and reducing the amount over privacy we have?
I think this not only applies to the government, but the general population as well. With the advent of cell phones, credit cards, and well, personal computers and a booming population rate, our world has considerably shrunk, ergo we do not have the same amount of privacy as we have had say... a hundred years ago.

As for the government specifically, especially post 9/11 in the US, I would definitely say yes, the government is taking more consideration upon our daily lives. Just look at the Patriot Act, which legalizes government wire tapping, for a good example.

If so, do you think this is for the greater good?
It honestly depends on the extent of these measures. For one, if there were say... cameras on the street corners, I honestly would not give a damn because (a) you are already in public: that means everyone can see you, and (b) if there's something you that's worth hiding while in a public area, you probably shouldn't be doing it. I think it's a good tool for catching criminals, but above all, it is a good deterrent to prevent such behavior from happening in the first place.

However, within the privacy of our own homes? No, because it is not a public area where people may come as go as they please, nor is it a center of business.

Do you think that the world could become a dystopia like 1984?
I think it already is. Joking, joking.
There is always a potential for the world to morph into an Orwellian nightmare. During the heights of the Cold War, we've seen the whole 'Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia' angle, and I know several of my friends who subscribe to the 'War is Peace' ideology. In fact, that's generally the angle all of the war hawks played at during the Iraq War, lol. Let it be said this: there are periods in history where human rights are not held as dear as life, and it is during those periods that the potential becomes greater.

(Rise of fascism, anyone?)

Do you think that technology plays a role in this?
Oh definitely. Like above, the world considerably shrunk upon the discovery of the New World, and even further upon the advent of steam powered boats, automobiles, airplanes, private telephone lines, computers... As technology advances, our potential for privacy dwindles even further. You could move out to the far northern reaches of Siberia or the Yukon territory, but I'm pretty sure one of those satellites used for Google Maps can find you.

... :)
Reply }