Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Me and ChatGPT - This AI is scary good!
So of course when doing my DaVinci, I have to brainstorm a bit, and well... someone told me I should just TRY to brainstorm with an OpenAI... I got logged in to ChatGPT, and well, WOW, the AI, while still a tiny bit vague, was spot on in what I was brainstorming about, and well, here's how that conversation went...

I am working on a modular sprite collection for 2d gaming. What are the best categories for items and outfits for my collection?

When creating a modular sprite collection for 2D gaming, the categories for items and outfits will depend on the type of game you are creating and the genre. However, here are some categories that could be useful:

Weapons: Swords, axes, bows, guns, magic wands, shields, etc.
Armor: Helmets, chest plates, leg armor, gloves, boots, etc.
Accessories: Hats, glasses, jewelry, backpacks, belts, etc.
Clothing: Shirts, pants, dresses, skirts, robes, etc.
Shoes: Boots, sneakers, sandals, high heels, etc.
Hair: Different hairstyles for male and female characters.
Facial features: Beards, mustaches, eyebrows, scars, freckles, etc.
Emotes: Facial expressions, gestures, and poses for characters.
Creatures: Animals, monsters, and other non-human characters.
Special effects: Particle effects, magic spells, explosions, and other special effects.
Remember to design your items and outfits to fit a consistent style, color scheme, and level of detail so that they can be easily mixed and matched in different combinations. Good luck with your project!

What would you suggest for a medieval styled range of clothes?

For a medieval styled range of clothes, here are some suggestions for items and outfits you could include:

Tunics: Long, loose-fitting shirts made of linen, wool, or cotton.
Surcoats: Sleeveless outer garments worn over tunics, often with a coat of arms or other insignia.
Doublets: Fitted jackets worn over a shirt or chemise, often made of leather or velvet.
Cloaks: Long, flowing garments made of wool or velvet, often with a hood or fur trim.
Hosen: Tight-fitting leggings worn under tunics or doublets, made of wool or silk.
Dresses: Long, flowing garments for women made of wool, silk, or linen.
Coifs: Head coverings worn by both men and women, often made of linen or silk.
Tabards: Sleeveless garments worn over armor, often with a coat of arms or other insignia.
Mantles: Cloak-like garments worn over the shoulders, often made of fur or velvet.
Boots: High, laced boots made of leather or suede, often with a pointed toe.
Remember to design your medieval styled clothes to fit the period and location you are aiming for. For example, clothing styles in medieval Europe varied widely depending on social class, region, and time period. Researching historical sources can help you create an accurate and compelling range of clothes for your game.

What would be the best way to layer those, since I'm making 2d sprites?

When layering 2D sprites for clothing, here are some tips that can help:

Plan out your layers: Before creating your sprites, plan out the different layers you will need for each outfit. Consider which pieces of clothing will be on top of or underneath other pieces, and create the sprites in the correct order.
Use transparency: Make sure to use transparency in your sprites to allow for layering. For example, you could make the sleeves of a tunic a separate sprite with a transparent background, so that they can be layered over the arms of a character sprite.
Consider depth: When layering clothing sprites, consider the depth of each layer. For example, a cloak might be layered over the shoulders of a character sprite, but underneath the hair and headwear sprites.
Keep consistent sizing: To ensure that your layers line up correctly, make sure to keep the sizing consistent between sprites. For example, if the shirt sprite is 32x32 pixels, make sure that the sleeve sprite is also 32x32 pixels.
Test different combinations: Once you have created all of the clothing sprites, test different combinations to ensure that they layer correctly and look good together.
Remember that layering 2D sprites can be time-consuming, so be prepared to spend some time creating and testing your sprites. However, the end result can be a wide variety of customizable and modular outfits for your game.

My genre will be the Middle Ages, with some fantasy elements, like elves and dwarves and goblins, orcs, hobgoblins, in addition to the humans of course. I don't want the fantasy elements to overpower the real earth ones, so there might not be as much emphasis on magic as there might be on sprite sheets that use battle tactics, like different ways weapons are used in attacks. Can you give some good costume suggestions?

For a medieval/fantasy-themed game with a focus on battle tactics, here are some costume suggestions you could consider:

Human soldiers: Chainmail or plate armor, surcoats with a coat of arms, helmets, swords, shields, and spears.
Elves: Long, flowing garments made of silk or velvet, with intricate embroidery or beadwork. Elven armor may be lighter and more flexible than human armor. Elven weapons may include bows, arrows, and daggers.
Dwarves: Heavy, durable armor made of iron or steel, often decorated with gems or ornate designs. Dwarven weapons may include axes, hammers, and crossbows.
Goblins: Ragged clothing made of scraps of leather or cloth, with armor pieces scavenged from other sources. Goblin weapons may include short swords, clubs, and slingshots.
Orcs: Armor made of leather or hide, with crude designs etched or painted onto the surface. Orcish weapons may include spears, battle axes, and scimitars.
Hobgoblins: Armor made of chainmail or leather, with more refined designs than goblins. Hobgoblin weapons may include longbows, swords, and maces.
Remember to design your costumes with the characteristics and culture of each race in mind. For example, elven clothing may be designed to reflect their connection to nature, while dwarven armor may emphasize practicality and durability. By carefully considering the appearance and characteristics of each race, you can create a rich and immersive world for your game.

Okay, I have three main types of elves in my setting. I have the high-elves, which are the noble types with the velvet and silk, silver and will probably have a elven/celtic style. The second are more forest-bound, with a bit more wild look in their eyes. They live in dales and wooded glens mostly, with a deep spiritual and philosphical connection to the land, the trees. They don't use a lot of metal in their art and utlity, instead using a lot of wood, bones from hunted animals and sometimes even harvested stones, shells, and vines from trees. They don't worry about harvesting wood or anything, like for instance the Bosmer of Elder Scrolls lore, but its very rare for them to waste anything. The third race of elves are much more feral. They live in the crags and rocks, the volcanic lands, where plants are sparse and chitin, hard boiled leather and obsidian is plentiful. They do forge, but often their metal armor pieces are more crude, as these elves value ultility more than art, and what art they use is mostly for intimidation in battle, with skull masks, spikes jutting out of chitinous armor plates and fierce warpaint.

Based on your description of the different elven races in your setting, here are some costume suggestions:

High-Elves: Long, flowing garments made of silk or velvet, with intricate embroidery or beadwork in silver or gold. Elven armor may be lighter and more flexible than human armor. High-Elven weapons may include bows, arrows, and slender swords.
Forest Elves: Clothing made of natural materials such as leaves, moss, and animal hides. The colors and designs of their clothing may be inspired by the surrounding forest. Forest Elves may wear wooden armor, such as shields made of intertwined branches or armor made of tree bark. Their weapons may include bows, arrows, and handcrafted spears.
Feral Elves: Armor made of chitin, boiled leather, and obsidian. The armor may be decorated with spikes and other intimidating designs. Feral Elves may wear masks made of skulls or other animal parts, and their warpaint may be inspired by the colors of the surrounding landscape. Their weapons may include crude, yet effective, axes and spears made of obsidian.
Remember to design your costumes with the characteristics and culture of each elven race in mind. For example, the clothing of the forest elves may be designed to blend in with their surroundings, while the armor of the feral elves may be designed to intimidate their enemies. By carefully considering the appearance and characteristics of each race, you can create a rich and immersive world for your game.

Can you give me some examples of feral elf warpaint like you described?

Sure! Here are a few examples of warpaint designs that might be used by feral elves:

Blood-red stripes: These stripes may be painted on the face or body in varying thicknesses and lengths. The red color may be derived from crushed berries or other natural sources found in the volcanic lands where the feral elves reside.
Geometric designs: Feral elves may paint complex geometric designs on their faces or bodies using black or dark grey paint. These designs may be inspired by the patterns found in the surrounding landscape or the markings on the chitin armor they wear.
Tribal patterns: Feral elves may paint tribal patterns on their faces and bodies using white or light-colored paint. These patterns may be inspired by the cultures of other creatures that live in the volcanic lands, such as lizards or snakes.
Animalistic designs: Feral elves may paint designs on their faces and bodies that resemble the markings of the animals they hunt and kill for food and resources. For example, they may paint stripes or spots like those found on big cats or wild dogs.
Remember that the warpaint designs should reflect the culture and beliefs of the feral elves. They may use warpaint to intimidate their enemies, to show allegiance to their tribe, or as a form of personal expression. By carefully considering the context in which the warpaint is used, you can create a unique and immersive world for your game.

And would you suggest warpaint and body paint for the forest elves?

Yes, warpaint and body paint can definitely be used for the forest elves as well! However, the designs and colors used by forest elves may be different from those used by feral elves.

Here are a few examples of warpaint designs that might be used by forest elves:

Leafy patterns: Forest elves may paint leafy patterns on their faces and bodies using green and brown paint. These patterns may be inspired by the leaves and branches of the trees in the forest.
Floral designs: Forest elves may paint floral designs on their faces and bodies using a variety of colors. These designs may be inspired by the flowers that bloom in the forest.
Natural patterns: Forest elves may paint patterns on their faces and bodies that mimic the patterns found in nature, such as the swirls of a snail shell or the spots on a butterfly's wings.
Animalistic designs: Like feral elves, forest elves may also paint designs on their faces and bodies that resemble the markings of animals found in the forest, such as deer or rabbits.
In addition to warpaint, forest elves may also decorate their clothing and armor with natural materials such as leaves, feathers, and animal fur. By incorporating these natural elements into their appearance, forest elves can blend in with their surroundings and become one with nature.

Can you draw me six feral elf warpaints?

Quote:((I forgot at this point that ChatGPT doesn't draw, but it makes up for it with descriptiveness.))

I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I don't have the ability to create drawings or images. However, I can provide you with descriptions of six different feral elf warpaint designs that you could use as inspiration:

Fangs and Spikes: This warpaint design features sharp, black triangles painted around the eyes and on the forehead, resembling fangs and spikes. The paint may be applied thickly to create a raised texture that emphasizes the feral look.
Bone and Blood: This design uses a deep red paint to create a base, with white bone-like shapes painted on top. The paint may be smeared or smudged to give a rough, primal appearance.
Volcanic Ash: This warpaint design uses ash from the nearby volcanoes to create a black, smoky effect. The ash may be applied heavily around the eyes and mouth, with streaks running down the face to create a menacing look.
Chitin Armor: Inspired by the feral elves' use of chitin in their armor, this design features black and grey paint that mimics the look of chitin plates. The paint may be applied in a jagged, uneven pattern to create a rugged appearance.
Tribal Markings: This design incorporates tribal patterns and shapes, inspired by the feral elves' connection to their tribe. The paint may be applied in white or another light color, with lines and shapes painted around the eyes, forehead, and cheeks.
Claw Marks: This design features jagged, claw-like shapes painted in red or another bold color. The marks may be applied across the cheeks and forehead, giving the appearance of battle scars and emphasizing the feral nature of the elves.

Okay, let's talk about the sprite sheets. Right now I have the idea of sprite sheets that use 6 frames of animations, and render the character in each of eight compass directions, Up, Down, left and right. Isometric sprites like up-left, up-right, down-left, and down-right are also included for a total of 48 frames of animation for each action.

I will be drawing a walk, a run, and an idle, where the character stands still but his body still looks like it's moving slightly (breathing, arms not perfectly still) I may have two to three different types of walking and running and idle poses for each gender. I know I will also need about 12 different attack animations, to utilize different types of attack, whether it be with a one-handed sword, two-handed sword, dual-wielding, sword and shield, melee and magic. I also want to have one for crossbows and bows.

Other than that, animations for using items and skills in the game will be needed, as well as perhaps some supernatural poses like flying, hovering. Can you think of any other good animations I might also use as a standard?

It sounds like you have a solid foundation for your sprite sheets. In addition to the animations you've already mentioned, here are a few more that you might want to consider adding:

Jumping and Falling: These animations could be useful for platforming elements in your game.
Climbing: If your game includes any kind of climbing mechanics, you'll need animations to show your characters climbing up and down surfaces.
Swinging: If your game includes any kind of grappling or swinging mechanics, you'll need animations to show your characters swinging from ropes, vines, or other objects.
Swimming: If your game includes any kind of water-based movement or combat, you'll need animations to show your characters swimming.
Interacting with Objects: If your game includes any kind of puzzle-solving or object interaction, you'll need animations to show your characters picking up, pushing, or pulling objects.
Emotes: Emotes are animations that show your character expressing emotions or performing gestures, such as waving, dancing, or bowing. These can add personality and flair to your characters.
Damage and Death: You'll need animations to show your characters taking damage and dying. These animations can be important for communicating the stakes of combat to the player.
Spellcasting: If your game includes any kind of magic or spellcasting, you'll need animations to show your characters casting spells or using magic items.
Mounting and Dismounting: If your game includes any kind of mount or vehicle mechanics, you'll need animations to show your characters mounting and dismounting their ride.
I hope these suggestions are helpful for your sprite sheet planning!

Quote:Ain't it wonderful when you're getting schooled by AI?

Tell me about different stances and poses in regards to spellcasting.

There are a variety of stances and poses that can be used to convey the act of spellcasting. Here are a few examples:
Standing Pose: This is a basic pose where the caster stands upright with their arms extended in front of them or at their sides. This pose can be used for many different types of spells.
Hand Gestures: Some spells require specific hand gestures to cast. These can range from simple gestures like pointing a finger, to more complex ones like tracing a complex symbol in the air.
Kneeling Pose: This pose can be used for spells that require more concentration or focus. The caster kneels on one knee with their arms extended in front of them.
Levitation Pose: Some spellcasters may hover or float in the air while casting a spell. This can be achieved with a levitation pose where the caster is depicted floating in the air with their arms extended.
Incantation Pose: Some spells may require an incantation or spoken word to cast. In this pose, the caster may be depicted with their mouth open or chanting a specific phrase.
Elemental Pose: Some spells may be associated with a particular element, such as fire or ice. In these poses, the caster may be surrounded by the corresponding element or holding an object associated with that element.
Runes and Symbols: Some spells may require the use of runes or symbols to cast. These can be depicted on the ground around the caster or in the air above them.
These are just a few examples of the different stances and poses that can be used to convey spellcasting in sprite sheets. The specific poses and stances you choose will depend on the style and theme of your game, as well as the types of spells that your characters will be casting.

You have been VERY helpful so far. I'd like to pick this back up again soon.

Thank you! I'm glad to have been of help. Feel free to reach out anytime you have more questions.
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
Reply }
I HAD to go back and do some more, after just being mind-blown by the crazy descriptiveness of the ChatGPT..

A quick question, can you give me three different dwarf cultures that might be different than the human and elf cultures I've described so far?

Sure! Here are three possible ideas for distinct dwarf cultures:

Mountain dwarves: These dwarves are hardy and stout, and are most at home in the high mountains. They have a strong tradition of mining and metalworking, and are renowned for their skill in creating intricate and durable armor and weapons. Mountain dwarves are also known for their stubbornness and tenacity, and are often seen as unyielding and uncompromising in their beliefs and ways of life.

Sea dwarves: These dwarves make their homes in the coastal regions, where they have developed a deep connection with the sea and its creatures. They are skilled fishermen, sailors, and shipbuilders, and are known for their seafaring prowess. Sea dwarves also have a reputation for being bold and adventurous, as they often venture out into the open ocean in search of new lands and resources.

Desert dwarves: These dwarves live in the arid regions of the world, where they have adapted to the harsh conditions by developing a deep knowledge of survival and self-sufficiency. They are expert craftsmen, with a particular focus on creating tools and structures that are suited to the harsh desert environment. Desert dwarves also have a strong tradition of storytelling and oral history, and are renowned for their intricate and poetic tales of heroism and adventure.

[Image: OIP.re9q-95L0LBjQCuyABFjFAAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
Reply }
Just wait until you start having highly complex technical problems. ChatGPT will either talk you into a dead end or will help you solve it with great speed. Truly a mixed bag it is.
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }