Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Limit Break (DVV's)
Limit Break (DVV's)
Version: 3.1

Introduction
This system is a revamped & rewritten system that disables 'element-tagged' skills until the hero's limitbreak bar is filled. Once the skill is used, the skill becomes disabled again. Works with and without the RTAB system.

It has been designed 'menu-less' by intent, and this is to prevent any possible conflicts with any custom menu system. However Alistor had designed a menu system that can change an actor's limit break fill-type explained later. It is ready for plug-n-play use.

The system, by itself, does not change the 'ATTACK' option in the Actor's command window either. Instead, this system enables/disables the skills in the skill menu for you to select. Another add-on has been created by me to change the 'Attack' option for you. * It's been asked for. :) *

It still requires a bar drawing script like Cogwheel's HP/SP/EXP Gauge script to show the Limit Break bar, and I did post (in the 2nd page) a very cheap replacement you can edit to your heart's content. However, without any bar drawing script, you will not get an error. You just won't see the bars on the screen. Previous scripts either had their own bar rendering system, or had 'REQUIRED' scripts that without 'em... crashed.

Features
  • The ability to disable 'tagged' skills until the limit break bar is filled.
  • Up to 12 different methods for the limit bar to be filled
  • Adjustable bar positioning system.
  • Default Battlesystem and RTAB system complient (yep... in one package).
  • Most configurable values can now be changed in-game.
  • You don't HAVE to show bars. If you don't use a compatible bar script, won't show 'em!
  • Can apply a 'bar fill' chime.
  • Even allows for players 'added' during battle, even for large party scripts.
  • Bar values can now 'zero' out if the battlers die in combat.

Demo
Limit Break!
(SDK demo of the 'Attack' Replacer and Alistor's Limit Break Menu)

Script
The Script

Instructions
Paste it below your battlesystem and fill out whatever values you want. All configuration values are now housed within the LB_DVV module. However, most all the configurable values are passed into and stored within the Game_System class, so they can be edited later in-game.

"Naming your element"
Limit Break Setting
Limit Break Max Value
SE played
Limit Break Fill Rates
Limit Break Death Wipe
Enemy Bosses
Hidden Actors

Flexible Positioning System

Changing a hero's Limit Break condition

BAR GRAPHICS

FAQ
See why a replacement was made for the KGC system.
To be true to truth, the original KGC system was elegent in it's simplicity. The Game_Battler code merely mimiced the original code in the default scripts so it could determine if a 'hit/damaged' attack was successful. And the coding in Scene_Battle was fairly simple and routine as well. As such, one could do very little to make the 'basics' any different.

However... quite a bit of code like 'determining if a party member was alone' was easily trimmed down from 10 lines to 3. What a waste. And there was even more unnecessary clutter in other areas of their original work.

However, I will say this... one main feature that was clearly overlooked was the use of 'ITEMS' as attacks. I have seen more than a couple of Limit Break scripts and none considered weaponized items (Grenades & such) affecting the Limit Break bars. GOTCHA!!!

Notes:
For anyone making scripts for this system, the values of:
$game_actors[actor_id].limitbreak holds the total of limitbreak points your hero has.
$game_actors[actor_id].lb_type holds the value of which type of system you're using.

And draw_actor_lb(actor, x, y, width) is the method that draws the limit break bar. It refers to the cogwheel script gauge_rect in it, so anyone making a bar script for this system will either have to create their own gauge_rect code that handles 17 arguments, or write a whole new def draw_actor_lb to overwrite this scripts's.

Patches and Add-Ons
First off, a simple 'bar script' in case you don't want to use EITHER Cogwheel's HP/MP/ATB script, or Clive's Seph Styled Slant Bars (if fixed for the new system). The script ONLY adds the Limit Break bar... no others. You can use this as a basis for making your own 'bar' script that works with this system.
"Cheapo Limit Bar Add-On"
And, a patch to adapt ParaDog's v 2.58 Battlesystem to work with the Limit Break script. Paste it below ParaDog's battlesystem so it works with the Limit Break script.
"The ParaDog Limit Break Patch"

Compatibility
Fairly compliant with (I guess) any CTB system (and the SDK!), and the RTAB system. Needs the ParaDog Limit Break Patch (above) if using ParaDog's v 2.58 battlesystem.

Not for use with any ATB system or any non-Strategy battlesystem.

Credits and Thanks
I will admit some credit to KGC. They seem to have been the first. And credit to Landarma whom (though she doesn't know it) inspired me to work on this system. Thanks to link2795 for finding a bug when a healing items was used with the RTAB system. And thanks to Jaide for requesting and betatesting the Limit Break Death Wipe system. Also to VinVulpis for noting a misplaced @active_battler value, to Nadim who found that enemies attacking themselves caused nil errors as no actor performed these actions, and finally to Tehprince who discovered an error with the rtab/paradog limitbar placement system.
Reply }
Oh, my gawd! It has been roughly ten years since I touched this script. It is definitely time for a ...
BUMP!
to Version 3.0

Dear lord! It is true! This is the first time I have ever bumped this script in Save-Point! I haven't worked on it since the forum STARTED!!! EVEN WHEN IT WAS RMVXP.Com or RMXPUniverse.Com!!!! And that's been YEARS!!!!!!

This script seriously needed some attention. Functional as it was, it was NOT up to my current coding standards. Hell, it used global variables for some configured settings, no module to house the settings, and code that wrapped off the screen! And along with that, poor naming conventions for the aliased methods AND the alias statements were all separate! Oh, wow... NOT up to my standards.

Well, it has taken the better part of a few hours, and the Limit Break system is now working well, and with a clearer set of instructions. The code was shortened thanks to some newer techniques (hey, it's been 10 years). And all this time, I did ensure it was STILL compliant with both the Cogwheel set of battlesystems (CTAB and RTAB) and the ATB by ParaDog.

Of note, 'element tagging' systems can affect battle damage. So a new set of protocols were added to eliminate the Limit Break Element from Skills when damage is being applied, and returned thereafter. You don't want botched up skill math, do you?

The Menu system by Alistor still works like a charm, and it's HIS. Not touching it. ^_^

But my "Attack" replacer script needed a major overhaul, now roughly 25% more compact! I eliminated the use of XRXS's Command Window add-on, as I really didn't wish to rely on outside code. What I wrote does take up more lines than his, but my edits also ensured proper placement of the revised 'Limitbreak' command window, all based on the location where the Actor Command Window is meant to be shown. At the same time, I altered the methods within Scene_Battle that are executed when the Actor Command Window pops up. What was initially half the script was cut down to maybe two dozen lines? Hahaha! Boy, lessons learned over the years can sure translate to optimized code.

I hope you enjoy the changes.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Oops... I gotta give this script a

BUMP!
to Version 3.1

There was an error in the RTAB/ParaDog battlestatus bar renderer. Credit goes to Tehprince of RPGMakerWeb.Com for finding the error for me to solve.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
Sledge hammer bump! Hey DerVVulfman just a curious question about this script. Is it possible to use the call script command to fill a certain actor's limit gauge? Like I want to have a skill that will fill actor2's limit gauge through a common event. I have this idea where I can have this script work in conjunction with a HP Cost script I have where actor2's skill will fill limit gauge by costing 40% HP.
Reply }
You mean like.....
Code:
$game_party.actors.each { |actor|
  next unless actor.exist?
  actor.limitbreak += 499
      }

This sample script call is in the demo, and fills the limit break bar for every active member in the party by about half... since I set the gauges to be a 1000pt fill

Reply }
Yeahh like that, instead I'd like to be able to fill just a single actor's Limit gauge rather than the whole party.
Reply }
You mean like...
$game_party.actors[0].limitbreak = 999
... to set the lead party member's?

Or perhaps...
$game_actors[7].limitbreak = 250
... for the 7th member in your database (like Gloria) ?

Reply }
Yeah basically that. Was wondering if it is possible to use a call script command to achieve that.
Reply }
In the immortal words of David Tennant as the Doctor in 'Day of the Doctor' ... "Yup."

Reply }
Bummer, but thanks anyway.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Limit Breaker - breaks game limits Narzew 1 5,691 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   Victor Engine - Damage Limit Victor Sant 0 4,861 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Victor Sant
   Alistor's Limit Menu: DVVLBS Add-on 1 Alistor 6 13,018 04-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Trickster's Animated Gradient Bars for Limit Break (DVV) DerVVulfman 2 8,765 09-15-2009, 04:43 AM
   Limit Break VX DerVVulfman 2 7,181 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
   Database Limit Breaker woratana 0 4,582 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Last Post: woratana
   Breaking the "Show Choices" Character Limit RPG Advocate 0 4,376 03-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Last Post: RPG Advocate
   Limit Breaks Trickster 0 4,081 03-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Trickster