Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
What about writing a map editor inside RPG Maker XP itself? RPG Maker already knows what format its maps are in. And scripts exist that edit the map...
Reply }
Not really feasible. Sure, RMXP has a format, but for you to write something that messes with RMXP's format, you need to know it yourself.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Still working on the menus for my game, but I'm also working on the temporary credits for my sis. I wanna show her that an interactive opening credits for the game can work.

OOOhhhh!!! I also streamlined the game a bit more!!! Just a couple of touches and a line here and there and volia... I was able to maintain a 20-25 frames with 300+ active events in one map. Mind you, it would be more. But I have multiple systems like the audio rewrite, particle effects, ABS, DayNight, etc running constantly.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
what do you have taking up 300 events on only one map?
Reply }
It's a test map to see about improvements to anti-lag.

I didn't make the map. It was one I copied from Lambchop's/Amaranth's Super Simple Anti-Lag... though I went a different route (I think). She had 330 chickens running around with this goofy music playing. My system jumped from 8-10fps to 25 on average by a mere handful of lines in Spriteset_Map.

I mean.... copy her map or labor at making 300 stupid chickens myself. Easy decision. Laughing

Reply }
(09-25-2013, 03:31 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Not really feasible. Sure, RMXP has a format, but for you to write something that messes with RMXP's format, you need to know it yourself.
I mean from converting to the tileid array (I'm assuming) to a .rxdata file. I don't have to do that if I build the editor in engine.
Reply }
(09-28-2013, 12:27 AM)MechanicalPen Wrote: I mean from converting to the tileid array (I'm assuming) to a .rxdata file. I don't have to do that if I build the editor in engine.
I guess you mean to read the map's data table (the 3 layered tile_id table). Reading it in-game is okay and has been done in various things like minimap scripts.. You may even use the .clone command if you want (useful for older Mode7 systems). Making a map editor that runs within your project may sound weird, but now I'm intrigued. Changes may take effect immediately if you directly change the map's data table as you're running your project, but don't quote me on that. There is a 'need_refresh' command in Game_Map, but it only refreshes events.

Reply }
yay or nay:

Cutscene collector: a device that records cutscenes that the you are involved in. some cutscenes are activated by sidequests. some cutscenes unlock at points where a trophy or achievement would be earned, that will be displayed in the character's vault that i'm adding to his house. when you unlock a trophy, you get a sidequest key item for use in "stranger" type missions you get from talking to people in towns.
Reply }
I was actually thinking about that myself. It could certainly help a player 'recall' things they had accomplished rather than letting them forget how far they've gone in the game.

OR... useful in a situation where you played a cutscene.... play the game for a while.... And then BLAM! Someone shows up saying something that quite literally brings the cutscene (or part of) as a literal important flashback.

Reply }
i'm going to make it like the Biggoron Sword quest in Ocarina of Time. I like the idea of having to do a big long thing to get ultimate equipment instead of just stumbling upon it somewhere.
Reply }