Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
I got on a writing binge for my still untitled pirate project. I have over a dozen sheets of character data and story for the main (playable) characters. Next up is to finish the synopsis and get some major NPCs out of the way.
I've decided that I'm going to start working on this in XNA Game Studio because it has engines that can make it easier for a simpleton like me and I can make some beautiful effects/visuals... and I am more familiar with C programming languages than I am with Ruby. Once I get my copy, I hope to work on some demo maps so I can make this a little more official. Long road ahead...
Reply }
just looked into xna, that's AWESOME! you can make stuff for xbox? i'd love to make something playable with a controller. how is the program? is it like pulling teeth with pliers while trying to comprehend instructions written in Klingon? i'm too stupid to learn ruby, or C-, or C--, or C+ or anything like that. any tutorials you've seen? is the engine in 3d or 2d?
Reply }
I use a program called HelpnDoc to make help files for my ABS demo as well as other systems. Unfortunately, I lost the actual 'work' files that I used to create 'em when my PC crashed. So I've spent hours the past couple days recreating my work files for MrMo's ABS Ultimate... and just finished.

It's nearly identical. Now.... if I ever do some changes to the configuration system or add new features (yep... like now), I can add these changes to the help file for when it's time to be released.

*NAP TIME!*
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
(08-11-2012, 02:19 AM)KasperKalamity Wrote: just looked into xna, that's AWESOME! you can make stuff for xbox? i'd love to make something playable with a controller. how is the program? is it like pulling teeth with pliers while trying to comprehend instructions written in Klingon? i'm too stupid to learn ruby, or C-, or C--, or C+ or anything like that. any tutorials you've seen? is the engine in 3d or 2d?
I could make indie games and sell them on the live marketplace Very cheery . I haven't downloaded the studio yet, because I'm waiting to buy a new laptop soon that will be able to handle all of the specs. The code is done with C#, which is a more visual version of C/C++ apparently.
I would have my doubts that one could make a game in it with no C experience, but I'm sure there is a wealth of tutorials out there. I'm looking at getting a book that pretty much does "XNA for Dummies". And the best thing about it is that you can use practically any engine with it. I'll be using a 2D, but you could use full 3D with crazy texturing all in the same program.
Reply }
I'm remaking my very first YouTube video (the opening cutscene of my first RPG Maker game) for my simultaneous 200th Video and (belated) Five Year Anniversary Special. God, I love Ace. ^_^

That's all, though. No plans to remake the full game. I have DxJ left to complete. Speaking of which, this next demo? Good lord this thing is gonna be huge... @_@
3DS Friend Code: 3411-1039-9335
(Add me for teh pokeymanz and barvely deefalt!)

[Image: tumblr_inline_nzmbrz53G11sotucm_1280.png]
Click for the latest update - and vote for someone to die! >8D
Reply }
Oh, I am Mr Mo Psyched!

Yeah, still working on it and the ABS now sports less code. Okay, big whoop. But I also eradicated my need of Zeriab's anti F12 bug script. Yep, no more F12 bug! That took a while. And I already mentioned Jumping last week...

I reworked the damage pop system so the popups aren't using the default pop after being heavily rewritten. Nope... I don't want that. I instead made ABS specific damage pops just in case you want to use a different battle system in conjunction with it. For example, Charlie Fleed's FF Battlesystem rewrites the damage pops for his game so it would interfere. Yep, that means I should be able to make a game that has both my system and his battlesystem in tandem!

Oh, yeah. My sis has been bugging me for a while now (since last year) to add the ability to 'program' enemy actions. This means, you tell it 'move forward' 'turn' 'slash' 'move forward' 'defend' 'throw fireball' .... rinse and repeat. THAT part was hard. Took all of today to get it. Let alone, it took over an hour to make the enemies be able to defend properly. However, I was able to get the defend feature to work with normal enemies. So the regular guys can run around, slash and defend... and the programmable guys can move, slash, defend according to the way you design him.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
(08-11-2012, 02:19 AM)KasperKalamity Wrote: just looked into xna, that's AWESOME! you can make stuff for xbox? i'd love to make something playable with a controller. how is the program? is it like pulling teeth with pliers while trying to comprehend instructions written in Klingon? i'm too stupid to learn ruby, or C-, or C--, or C+ or anything like that. any tutorials you've seen? is the engine in 3d or 2d?
You definitely need to be a good programmer to get any results with XNA.

I have some character designs for Hartacon Tactics to show you. Not all of them are final. :) Art by Douglas Draco.

Characters
[Image: f7d70f7d-d21f-470a-b93d-fa23cfcfaeb5_zpsfe7368c0.png] [Image: facebook_icon.png] [Image: youtube_128x128-120x120.png] [Image: deviant.png] [Image: save-point.png]
Reply }
(08-15-2012, 01:30 PM)Charlie Fleed Wrote:
You definitely need to be a good programmer to get any results with XNA.

I have some character designs for Hartacon Tactics to show you. Not all of them are final. :) Art by Douglas Draco.

Characters
First of all, you should probably tell Douglas that he is a BA artist.
Second, if I know C++ pretty well, how easy is it to pick up C#?
Reply }
BA artist??
I think C# is simpler than C++. It should be easy.
[Image: f7d70f7d-d21f-470a-b93d-fa23cfcfaeb5_zpsfe7368c0.png] [Image: facebook_icon.png] [Image: youtube_128x128-120x120.png] [Image: deviant.png] [Image: save-point.png]
Reply }
Awesome possum.
I'll definitely give that a shot then.
and BA artist = "badass artist". My bad, haha.
I especially dig the Beastman and the Dwarf.

Also, I brainstormed some ideas for the name of my pirate-themed game. Looking for feedback. The choices are:
Scurvy Dogs
Lords of the Sea
Crossbones
Golden Winds
Distant Shores
I am gunning for a simpler title because I am trying to make a JRPG mixed with a distinctly Western approach. A beautiful, layered, complex project packaged into a more simple and accessible container.
Reply }