Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 EXP gain even at max level
So I want a way to make it so you can't level up but you still gain EXP. Currently, if your initial and max level is at 1, that actor can never gain EXP. I want it so they will still gain EXP even at max level. I found something concerning EXP and leveling in Game_Actor, but I don't know what I need to edit and what to edit it to.

So a snippet or just telling me what to edit would be fine.
Reply }
Time for a lecture with Doctor VVulf.  Winking  

First, the method in Game_Actor that you are likely looking at  is called make_exp_list.  It looks at your actor and gets some data from the actor database.  This data is basically a base start value and some progression data (exp_basis  and exp_inflation).  These values are used to create a curved progression chart.

Now, the make_exp_list method takes this data and creates the experience points you need to attain for each level from 2 to 100.  It doesn't need to make points to reach level 1 since you're already there.  But be that as it may, the system is used to create what the highest number of points you need to attain to reach level 100.

So insofar as the make_exp_list, this method should not be touched.  It handles what points your levels need to attain.

NOW, there are other things to consider......

The method seen as exp= would do well.   The full statement is def exp=(exp). When you gain experience points,  you go through this method. And it is HERE that sets some of the caps you encounter.

The first line you encounter in the exp= method is the one that caps your experience points to 9999999.   Kinda makes sense, eh?

Then the next set of methods you will want to look at are the exp_s and next_exp_s methods.  They are responsible for converting your experience points and 'next' experience points into something that is displayed in your menu screens.... and that includes the dashes that fills the area when you reach the maximum level.

"Here endeth the lesson." - Malone (Sean Connery, The Untouchables)
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Ah, thank you! I edited exp_s to still show current exp rather than "-------"

Normally, I would edit next_exp_s too but I use a different leveling system,
Reply }
Recommendation.... never perform 'direct edits' to the default scripts. Make a separate script to act as an overriding 'patch', just as one would insert a custom script. Laughing Just saying... that way you don't lose track of what you've done.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
I do that automatically anyways :p
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
    Level Up Event Script daojones 8 10,832 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Last Post: daojones
   Level Up Point Spending System 12 11,568 02-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman