Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Scripting in VX vs VX Ace
I've been learning ruby for the past year and am thinking of dabbling with scripts now. I have found Gubid's tutorials on youtube and I'm wondering if there are any differences between scripting in VX and VX Ace (Which I am using.
tl;dr: Is scripting in VX different from VXA? If yes, will it affect my code a lot? Is the ransition from VX to VXA easy, or do scripts require large rewrites?
[Image: onBsjEH.jpg]
Reply }
Scripts between the two versions will likely not work unless allowance has already been made. However you can easily edit them to function right if you know what needs to be done. (I altered a script for XP for VXA, though it was a simple window element.)

Differences between the versions? I think VXA takes on some practices originally seen in the .org Standard Development Kit, with large functions split into smaller ones, and the use of 'base' scenes for certain areas. Some things I would hazard to say are better done in VXA that it makes it easier/more efficient to alias. However when it comes to copying scripts directly, some will probably not work because of more obvious differences, like the names of definitions, classes, how they're laid out, etc.
Reply }
Thanks, I was just wondering about whether they are compatible in any sense as I am learning to script through gubid's videos and he works with VX in them.
Solved :)
[Image: onBsjEH.jpg]
Reply }
There are a lot of things re-written from VX in Ace, such as the Scene_Title to DataManager, Scenes not anymore called by a global variable but a SceneManager and more. If you've watched Gubid's videos, it won't work completely in RPG Maker VX Ace, but you'll get the idea for Ace. There are videos done by DiamondandPlatinum3 over there at youtube, that features RGSS3. That is where I started myself.
[Image: n6fvBXt.png]
Huhubugin, Bubuuin, Daranasin, Ating tuklasin, Diwa't isip bubuhayin
Mula sa wala, Mundo ay nilikha, Nililok na mukha, Sa siklab ay nagsimula,
Tinanglaw ang palad, Likhang binigyang malay, Sa init, Hugis ang binagay!
Apoy! Mula sa wala, Mundo ay nilikha
Tinanglaw ang palad, Sa apoy hugis ang binagay
[Image: UfhwrmV.png]
Reply }
There are some scripts that one can make that may run between XP, VX and VXAce, but as long as you stay clear of any 'engine-specific' code. Like, one could make a module that plays AVI videos, or a pathfinding module. It can happen.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Pathfinding might be a bit of a stretch. :P I think the way passability is stored/read is different between versions.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   RGSS scripting dissections and explinations Siletrea 97 87,728 03-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Siletrea
   Combat animations via scripting; How? ZeroSum 2 4,479 09-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Last Post: ZeroSum
   Scripting I think spazfire 7 8,760 04-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Beginner Scripting Tuts? KDawg08 1 3,600 03-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Hsia_Nu