Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamic Time System
Dynamic Time System
UPDATED TO VERSION 4.0!!
By eharper256

Hello all, this is a EVENT Based Dynamic Time System that I created. It was created to meet my needs for an adaptable time system which weren't catered for by the currently available systems, scripting based or otherwise. I wanted the ability to alter the speed of times flow, like Calderons time, the adaptive weather of punkids system, and, most importantly, the ability to fiddle with the time of day at will without screwups and have it tell other events via a simple switch whether it was Night, or bad weather, or suchlike.

Features
  • Keeps track of minutes, hours, days, weeks and years through easily alterable variables. As a result of this, you can easily implement things like Inns that add 8 hours to the clock, and such...
  • Automatically checks if its night-time; and if it is, pulls a switch. You can have things like shops closing at night and such through this.
  • Set up default values for the time, like the AMS; and reset them to this value at will by a simple switch pull (hey I can do a Majoras Mask with this and return to the beginning, LOL).
  • Change the speed of times flow by altering a variable. This achieves an effect similar to Calderons Time; you can have time speed by quicker when on the World Map, for instance, or go slower in the Snowfield of Death. There are 5 settings for time flow by default (Normal, Fast, Faster, Uber-Fast and Slow).
  • Changes screen tone according to the hour; and changes it differently whenever one is inside, or when the weather is bad.
  • But there is the easy option to Switch the screen tone change off whenever you need to, whilst keeping time flowing in the background. Useful for cutscenes and places with unusual light conditions.
  • Support for Ccoa's Weather. Checks the weather every hour of game time based on Seasonal evaluation.
  • Much, Much, Much better weather support in version 2! The weather change is no longer quite so random; but more reliant on seasons and their individual likelihood of generating high/low pressure fronts. The system can be turned off at will.
  • Additionally, the weather now works in the same fashion as the tone changer; running then turning itself off every game hour. This has required an additional switch to be added to the line-up, but as a result the whole affair is much more stable and is also less laggy.
  • A final weather based addition: automatic application of appropriate BGS; which stays on (though lessens in volume) when you go inside. This feature is also easy to disable if you want your own BGS.
  • Also, a stupid bug in the demo was quashed. It continued to rain inside because of my lazy event programming before.
  • Much like the night-time check, theres a check for bad weather that pulls a switch. You can have people react differently to bad weather.
  • No big daft clock hangin' around onscreen all the time. I figure that most fantasy characters don't really have digital watches, in any case. ':|
  • However, you can tell the time at any time (tongue twister!) by simply calling a common event. This way, your characters can still look at the town clock or use a personal sundial, or something. This clock calling event has support for Dubealex's AMS by default, so the time shows up in a clear text box rather than a message; but if you don't have that, you can remove dependancy on it easily by a quick event modification. (I'm sure its easily changable to Ccoa's UMS as well, but I don't have that)
  • Finally, because of the separated events and conditionals, it does not lag at all. (At least it doesn't on my old laptop, which is a 1.6 GHz Athlon)
Version 3 Adds alot of cool new features!
  • Due to popular demand, I added a feature called FastTone. People didn't seem to like the fact that the tone change was slow when switching between inside and outside. This feature addresses that; it should detect when it is needed, and then make the tone alter considerably quicker.
  • SpecialLight was added. Previously, when you wanted to use a special kind of light not conductive with the typical day/night effect, you would have to apply the Tint Fixer switch and do it manually. SpecialLight addresses this problem by offering a standard library of unique lighting conditions, defined from within the Tint Changing Common Event. Therefore, you can define your special light type there, assigning it a variable value. Then, whenever you need to use that light type, you call upon it in a snap by simply setting the variable to your desired value, flipping a switch and then raising the Tint changing FLAG as normal. The Tint changer will then recognise the need for your Special Light; and it will usurp the typical Day/Night Tint whilst still letting time run and recognising the difference between day and night.
  • Special Light currently has the following default conditions programmed into it: Dark Cave, Sewer, Crystal Caverns (Blue and Purple), Icy Cavern, Fiery Cavern and Forested Canopy. You can add additional types if you have a reasonable proficiency with event programming.
  • Time Based Lighting was added. This basically allows the system to utilise the unique symbiosis of Time and Tint in ways besides the standard day/night cycle. As a result, you can add considerable amounts of atmosphere to your game with very little effort! For example, you can have a eerie dungeon with a pulsating light effect, or have the effects of thunderclaps with lightning flashes without the rain for that mad professors hideout.
  • Time Based Light currently supports the following unique conditions: Slow Strobe Light, Pulsating Light, Intermittant (Flickering) Light, Disco Lights :D , Battlefield effect with explosions, Underwater effect with bubbles, and Lightning Flashes for interiors. If you can think of other effects you'd like, post 'em here and I'll see what I can do.
Version 4 Adds some pretty funky new stuff also!
  • Now using Ccoa's Tileset swap script, the Dynamic Time system can automatically adjust the tileset for you depending on the season! This allows a switch to new tilesets to show the effects of winter, autumn and such more dramatically. In order to utilise this feature, simply adjust the tileset values for seasons in the configuration event. By default, Spring will use the default selected tileset, Summer will add +50 to this number, Autumn will add +100, and Winter will add +150. Hence, if you wanted versions of the RTP grasslands to change season, the spring version would be Database Tileset ID 1, Summer 51, Autumn 101, Winter 151 etc.
  • As mentioned, better customisation was my main goal for this version. To achieve this, the system now makes use of Script Arrays which are fully customisable in the setup event. For example, previous versions didn't recognise the difference between weekdays, and all months were always 30 days long. But no longer! The arrays allow the system to store both important numerical and string related data like the names of weekdays, the lengths of months, etc. without having to use further variables and switches. In a nutshell, this means the system now fully recognises the Date, the Day of the week and the month, and these things are fully changeable to the game-makers needs.
  • By fully customisable, I mean it! You can decide for yourself how many days are in a week, what those days are named in your world, how many weeks are in a month, how many months are in a year, how long each of those months are, and what each of those months is called!
  • As a result of the above change, the Time-Telling common event from before is a little bit more advanced; incorporating a calendar. Hence now when you call the common event that tells you the time, you not only recieve precise information on the time, but also learn what the date, day of the week and month are. Example: "Its 12:31pm! And its Tuesday the 15th of February, 2009!"
  • Another slight change: I've supplied a couple of fogs for this release, which are utilised by The Weather Generator to create further atmosphere. Like all of the other, similar, features, you can choose to deactivate this at will.
  • And finally, this version incorporates the mod I did a while back for Grimreaper; more extensive day period decision. The system automatically pulls switches when its Early Morning, Late Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Night. While this neccesitates a chunk of extra switches; you can use these switches as a comprehensive basis for creating fully scheduled NPC's (i.e. they go shopping in the morning, then go to work in the afternoon, then to the pub for the evening, then into bed for night)
Content Hidden
Seasons
Spring
[Image: DTSSpring.jpg]
Autumn
[Image: DTSAutumn.jpg]
Winter
[Image: DTSWinter.jpg]
Night
[Image: DTSNight.jpg]
Disco! (looks better in motion)
[Image: DTSDisco.jpg]
Underwater
[Image: DTSUnderwater.jpg]
[/spoiler]

Get the !Updated! Version 4 Demo from RAPIDSHARE here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/38525076/DynamicTime4.exe
Or get the !Updated! Version 4 Demo from MEGAUPLOAD here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWO9KRTM

Want Old Versions for download?

Enjoy; and feel free to use it in your games with credit. :thumb:
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DAY/NIGHT SYSTEM DerVVulfman 0 1,804 08-17-2021, 03:15 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
  The Guild - Evented Character Select System Mike_Everley 0 1,725 06-07-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Mike_Everley
  Skill/Spell Book System for XP Mike_Everley 0 1,937 03-30-2021, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Mike_Everley
Photo [XP] Real Time Day/Night Cycle System (in review for v.3.0) Pelip 2 4,575 06-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Pelip
  [RMXP]Simple Event Vehicle System coffinbag 0 2,872 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Last Post: coffinbag
  [XP/VX] Equipment Skill System Someone 9 10,951 04-17-2019, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Someone
  Licence System - Upgrade your Character [XP] yamina-chan 2 7,595 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Last Post: yamina-chan
  [RPGMakerVX] Eventing a Cheat System or Cheat Tool. Kail 6 13,155 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Kail
  Animated Character Avatar messaging system RosyPosy 4 10,696 01-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Last Post: RosyPosy
  [VX] Event-Based Time System Guardian 2 6,503 11-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Guardian