Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 HEY HEY JAY RAY #2: Inns
Almost all classic styled RPGs tend to allow the player a safe night's sleep unless the actual story-arc devised by the game designer says otherwise. As you say, this could be interrupted by a dream or bandits capturing you, or whatnot... but that is all in the game's story and there's not much chance of it being varied.

But then there are games by Bethesda Softworks... The Elder Scrolls series of games. They took an approach from one of the oldest games I know: Wizardry. There, you get to choose how long you rest, but in the Elder Scrolls games, it is based on hours rather than days, and you may either loiter or actively sleep (if you have an actual mattress, or stuck in the wilderness). But herein lies the difference.... the characters (particularly the enemies) are dynamic and could run into the player and ambush him.

If you have a secure home in an Elder Scrolls game, you're likely not to be attacked (except in Morrowind where the Dark Brotherhood assassins continue to disturb your sleep). But if you're in the wilderness, you may have a good sleep... or not. Depends on the lands, the caves, or whatnot. Clean out a cave full of rats and spiders, you may have just made a new hidey hole to bunk down for the night.

And these games also sport a day/night system, not saying RPGMaker games cannot have one. Even as far back as RPGMaker 2000 systems, I have seen INN systems that work with day/night scripts as some things (nightclubs, etc) only happen at night, and taking a snooze at noon makes you wake up when the sun sets. I have one such game uploaded in Complete Projects. Winking
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }

Messages In This Thread
HEY HEY JAY RAY #2: Inns - by JayRay - 01-28-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: HEY HEY JAY RAY #2: Inns - by yamina-chan - 01-28-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: HEY HEY JAY RAY #2: Inns - by DerVVulfman - 01-29-2015, 05:31 AM