Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 F12: The Key with the Misconception.
A response to above showing his 2019 post date
Post 2 by Kyonides

Apologies.  But nothing you said actually points blame at the F12 game reset feature, except that resetting the game and the scripts is bad.

I outlined how the issue is a stack error caused by infinite loops. And I explained how this is caused by the manner in which someone writes a script and doesn't account for infinite loops in their own personal coding.  Of course, RPGMaker 2000 or 2003 did not have this issue because there was no way for anyone to affect the underlying code of the system. There is no F12 reset errors with the native code.  Only when a scripter alters the actual ruby scripts in a manner that causes the stack error on script reset do we have this issue.

But I also described a method to prevent such stack errors from occuring.  The method taught to me a decade ago by SephirothSpawn.  So this issue, its root cause, and methods to prevent stack errors have been known for quite a long time. Unfortunately, this seems to be an ignored or overlooked subject.

Can I blame scripters?  Partially, yes.  And partially no.  But I fully blame those that are aware that this is caused by their own code and if they are told there are ways to prevent the error from occurring.  I know of a few that say 'Meh, I'm using an F12 blocker script'.... That's a 'few', as in more than two or three.

There are a couple of scripters out there where I found these specific stack errors in their code. Both of which, I not only told them how to prevent the stack error from cropping up but presented them with their code fixed by the inclusion of a mere three lines (the if....end block around their alias). That they openly said they would prefer to use an F12 blocking script than fix their own code made me feel embarrassed to be a programmer.

Ruby doesn't need a reset feature.  Ruby is a programming language like C++, Basic, Fortran, Cobal, Pascal.  None of which have a reset feature, and I have never heard of a language ever including such.  If you were to apply the same concept towards the script database being C++, you would have the same issue.  If a coder were to use a command similar to 'alias' to attach code, they too would likely be prone to a similar stacking loop error.  

A protest about needing the scripts to reload is falling on deaf ears.  I have seen entertaining applications made for RPGMaker XP that allows you to run a project and let you actively change data, graphics, and even ruby scripts whilst the project is running. Yes, this application allows contents described to reset while the game is running.  So reloading the scripts is a non-issue except to those that write scripts poorly.

Hiding the main method which is located at the bottom of the scripts library is a non issue.  In programming languages such as Ruby or C+, the entire operation of the program begins with the main method.  And from there it branches out.  Hiding the main method is not wise at all.  And there are those who may find need to alter the main method to include options such as the changing of default fonts, game speed, or the like.

And you speak of trying to achieve other methods than what I already described above.  Yes, there are scripts dedicated towards the F12 key, mainly by preventing the player to reset their game and making the F12 key worthless.  This doesn't fix the actual issue with a script causing a stack overflow, but covers it up with a bandage.  Your concept, if I read that correctly, is to prevent the scripts themselves from resetting, interesting as it sounds.  I would love to see that.   Whilst a bandage, it is certainly a more appealing variant.  I would wish you luck, lazy scripter you.

This is not an argument whether the F12 key is at fault.  It isn't if someone writes code and knows how to properly prevent their code from reloading infinitely.  The existence of a stack overflow error is a matter of fact, whether it is one formed within C+ programming, Ruby scripts, Basic programs, Assembly code, or the like.  But as always, the community of scripters merely pointed their finger at the F12 key as the simplest of explanations.

Attached Files
.png   F12Replace1.png (Size: 143.3 KB / Downloads: 9)
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

}

Messages In This Thread
RE: F12: The Key with the Misconception. - by DerVVulfman - 06-13-2019, 06:01 PM