Poll: Which inventory system do you perfer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Old School : RM's default inventory system
75.00%
3 75.00%
New School : Limited carry with drop boxes
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Limited Carry / Inventory Cache concept
Hello! I had this concept in my mind for awhile, and how I could apply it "strategically" to my project. Considering that this could be one of those core systems that could make or break a good game, and perhaps a pain in the butt to implement, let me explain how it works in my mind. Afterwards, feel free to tell me what you think or what you would do differently.

Party Members are Limited

First off, the 'global' item/armor/weapon pool would be done away with (sort of, but more on that later), and party members would only be able to carry a limited load individually (either X number of items, or items based on weight.) The quantity of goods an actor can carry most likely would be Strength-based, perhaps with an accessory that increases how much one can hold. On that note, currently equipped goods would not be counted as extra weight in a party member's inventory.

Item Cache

[Image: Dropbox.gif]

Special drop boxes would be placed in locations such as your HQ and sparsely placed around dungeons. The great thing about these is they can hold a heavy/unlimited load of goods while serving as the 'global' inventory pool for your party to trade from. With members limited with how much they carry, the player would have to keep a mental note of where their closest cache is when they need to trade their equipment, grab some consumables or drop off loot.

Item Looting 1 : Take, Trade or Leave?

Early in the game, being able to just breeze through a dungeon and loot it for all its worth could be a challenge with your party members only being able to carry the bare essentials. In this stage, the player would be stuck deciding what to drop in place of the new items they find, example would be leaving behind an HP potion for a new piece of equipment or a rare relic. The upside is that the old item being replaced would not be discarded, you can come back and get it when you free up a hero's item slot.

Item Looting 2 : Take, Trade or Mark [for Pickup]?

As you accumulate more allies throughout your adventure, you'll have friends that aren't in your immediate party (presumably watching over your cache goods or whatever benched members do.) At this point in the game, the Leave option will be replaced with Mark [for pickup], meaning you'll be able to use a tracking device to map locations of treasures. No longer will you have to back track for loot you couldn't carry, your benched allies will find the goods you've marked and put them in your cache when the dungeon has been completed.

Securing Your Cache

Assuming the "Item Cache" mentioned earlier isn't many drop boxes that lead to the same inventory pool, but rather an actual object (a caravan or such) that is placed in a certain spot in different locales you visit. It is an inconvenience to have gotten deep into a dungeon to stock up on loot but used all your medicine, only to have to backtrack all the way outside to where your storage is sitting. The solution?

In an example scenario, team A is the actors infiltrating the dungeon, team B is the benched members sitting outside with all of your goods. Once team A is halfway through the dungeon, team B calls up and notifies team A that they can drop their cache at this checkpoint if you can unlock the trap door from the inside.

Conclusion

These aren't new concepts, I've played many games similar to this which I found enjoyable (Resident Evil, Shining Force, Diablo, etc). In general, do you think this would be a challenging and beneficial system, or is it too much of a headache to micro manage the individuals in your party with what they carry? Would it even be worth the effort on the developer's end, or should I keep it simple and go with the FF style of huge global inventory everyone has access to? It seems like it could be a daunting task on both sides of the developer/player spectrum, but I'd like to hear what you think.
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Limited Carry / Inventory Cache concept - by Kain Nobel - 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   New RMXP idea/concept. Sorry if in wrong section. Jparker1984 9 13,245 06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Jparker1984