Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
(08-30-2016, 03:35 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Hey, guys.  Dunno if anyone scripting noticed, but the 'follow player' feature in all the RPGMaker systems include a bit of randomness.   Make an event set to follow the player, and it randomly turns around or something.

Saying that as Ahzoh brought that up about Lycan.  Might be something to look into... an alternate 'movement' option.

For example, RMXP's routine that makes events move to the player looks like this:

Code:
def move_type_toward_player
 # Get difference in player coordinates
 sx = @x - $game_player.x
 sy = @y - $game_player.y
 # Get absolute value of difference
 abs_sx = sx > 0 ? sx : -sx
 abs_sy = sy > 0 ? sy : -sy
 # If separated by 20 or more tiles matching up horizontally and vertically
 if sx + sy >= 20
   # Random
   move_random
   return
 end
 # Branch by random numbers 0-5
 case rand(6)
 when 0..3  # Approach player
   move_toward_player
 when 4  # random
   move_random
 when 5  # 1 step forward
   move_forward
 end
end
 It includes a few mechanisms that make the event move randomly 18% of the time.  If you want to make the events to only go straight to the player (this means you, Ahzoh), you may want to add this to your code instead. Laughing  This removes all 'randomness' to any event moving to the player.

Code:
#==============================================================================
# ** Game_Character
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class deals with characters. It's used as a superclass for the
#  Game_Player and Game_Event classes.
#==============================================================================

class Game_Character
 #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 # * Move Type : Approach
 #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 def move_type_toward_player
   move_toward_player
 end
end

With the new changes your ABS system makes enemies behave more like what I'd expect them to, whereas the Blizz-ABS doesn't behave quite the same.
"Turning iron ore into iron swords is a hard process, for one must first dig out the rock, and melt it to refine it, then one must pour that metal into a mould, let it cool a bit, and pound on it while it cools even further. Games are no different." - Ahzoh

Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Vrkhazhian
ʾEšol ḵavud ʾelẕakud lav ʾezʾaẕud zwazaršeru ya lit žalneru lav lit t͛enud. Ṗal sa-ražheru lav raržižu paplam lav ṗal widsaṟam bemaḵu šuku lit ʾeyṭu waẏnilaẇ.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Reply }
Well, I've considered having a separate option for Enemy motion. An option where you leave it using the normal RPGMaker motion, or a more direct 'ABS' movement system that you expected. More options, the better.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
(08-31-2016, 12:47 AM)Taylor Wrote: Yeah, I would say that's better. The animation feels a bit imbalanced - like the shift to the right should either be removed, or balanced with an equal bounce to the left - but it helps to make it clearer.

I noticed that as well. I think it's something to do with the image being resized. I'll look what can be done.
Reply }
No screens of the Quest system today. BUT HELLA WORK BEING DONE ON INSTRUCTIONS!

The commands to turn on/off the quest and its objectives have been made very compact and easy to use. But can it be any easier than having the system check quest data for you and mark them completed?

I can't help it. The quest system will have a detailed set of instructions. But as big as they will be, I want to make them easy to understand... at least for an intermediate level.
Code:
#  COMMAND:    QUEST_Log
#  FUNCTION:   Brings up the Quest Log screen itself
#  SYNTAX:     QUEST_Log()
#  ALTERNATE:  $scene = Scene_QuestLog.new()
#  
#      For those who are not adding Queen's Quest into their menu, they can
#      easily utilize a map event or common event  to access the quest log.
#
#      EXAMPLE:  Quest_Log()
#
#      It can't get much simpler than this, can it?
#
#      NOTE:  The classic "$scene=..." script call includes a parameter for
#      calling the main menu.  However, it is not being discussed here.
#
#
#  COMMAND:    QUEST_Add
#  FUNCTION:   Adds a quest to your log of quests, and makes it current
#  SYNTAX:     QUEST_Add(quest_id[, reset])
#  ALTERNATE:  $game_party.add_quest_info(quest_id[, reset])
#
#      Made very simple, this command is what you use to add a new quest to
#      your list of quests,  or to refresh and reset  the values to a quest
#      that is already in your log. Please note that you cannot 'refresh' a
#      quest that does not already exist in your log.
#
#      EXAMPLES:  QUEST_Add(5)        <--  adds quest '5' to your log
#                 QUEST_Add(3, true)  <--- refreshes quest '3'
#
#      Please note that you cannot 'refresh'  a quest that doesn't exist in
#      your log. So while the second example can refresh the third quest in
#      your log, it will not create 'and' refresh simultaneously. The quest
#      must already exist.  Fortunately, there is a test to determine that.
#
#      Additional:  Some quests can be set up to turn on an RPGMaker switch
#                   when the quest is active (see Qreating the Quests).
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
The majority of my game is going to be in the Formless World, which from the perspective of outsiders is not at all formless. But that is an illusion to protect their mind from going mad from gazing at the true chaos.
The Formless World is divided into domains, of which there are infinite, which are ruled by powerful entities known as The Great Kings.

One of the domains I call the "Field of Terror", which is a large field of hands outstretched that would slowly drain the health of the player as they walked on it. I was inspired by this image:
Content Hidden

Though, I dunno how I'll be able to make it so each individual tile drains health without making several hundred events.
"Turning iron ore into iron swords is a hard process, for one must first dig out the rock, and melt it to refine it, then one must pour that metal into a mould, let it cool a bit, and pound on it while it cools even further. Games are no different." - Ahzoh

ʾEšol ḵavud ʾelẕakud lav ʾezʾaẕud zwazaršeru ya lit žalneru lav lit t͛enud. Ṗal sa-ražheru lav raržižu paplam lav ṗal widsaṟam bemaḵu šuku lit ʾeyṭu waẏnilaẇ.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Reply }
Is it an entire map that drains health, or just certain tiles on the map that hurt?

On my mind? ............typing.

Oh, why do I make super systems that require comprehensive instructions... systems that have over two dozen commands, detailed configuration systems to let the end user define how his/her system will appear, and data features that have.. um.. all possible options available at their whim? It's not easy being a werewolf scripter.

I swear, writing instructions for something like that takes HOURS... (just one heading from 9am to ... it's 1:30?). I figure I won't be done today. But if I don't make these instructions, I'm sure to lose track of what every feature in this sucker. I need a break. Tongue sticking out

Reply }
Pretty sure I recall you mentioning in one of your scripts that writing the instructions took longer than writing the actual script.
Reply }
(09-13-2016, 06:36 PM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Is it an entire map that drains health, or just certain tiles on the map that hurt?
Most of a map, maybe 98%, will be filled with tiles that drain the health, but there will be small areas with tiles that don't.
But it would be cumbersome to make several hundred events, as I said.
So I'm looking for something in between having an event that makes the entire map drain health and having individual events for tiles that drain health.

Reply }
I would do it with coordinates. Save the player postion X,Y in variables with a parallel process and then a second parallel process checks if the player is on an save position or not. If not he loses health.
Reply }
(09-13-2016, 10:16 PM)Melana Wrote: I would do it with coordinates. Save the player postion X,Y in variables with a parallel process and then a second parallel process checks if the player is on an save position or not. If not he loses health.

I dunno how to do it with coordinates.

Reply }