Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
I don't see anything wrong with the idea.  Happy
Reply }
I have a new laptop so I am able to work on my rpg again.
I have forgotten all the things I've had for scripts.

*I already implemented Lycan ABS (I basically just copied everything from the demo) though I have to figure out how to remove some of the HUDs while keeping the others.
*I will also replace the caterpillar script as I don't like how the characters arrange themselves.
*I should go and find that advanced messaging system script again.

Also how you turn off friendly fire in Lycan ABS as well as remove the area of effect of melee attacks? you should really only be attacking the monster in front of you, not beside you.

------------
It's gonna be some work before I get that Star Ocean 2nd Story style ABS with the zooming and stuff.
"Turning iron ore into iron swords is a hard process, for one must first dig out the rock, and melt it to refine it, then one must pour that metal into a mould, let it cool a bit, and pound on it while it cools even further. Games are no different." - Ahzoh

Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Vrkhazhian
ʾEšol ḵavud ʾelẕakud lav ʾezʾaẕud zwazaršeru ya lit žalneru lav lit t͛enud. Ṗal sa-ražheru lav raržižu paplam lav ṗal widsaṟam bemaḵu šuku lit ʾeyṭu waẏnilaẇ.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Reply }
I haven't posted here in a while. Mainly because I've been working on my visual novel in Ren'py instead. (Or nothing at all.)
I guess I could post about the VN too.

VN/Twelve Thousand: Rewritten the puzzle sequence code, dropped some mechanics I felt would be clutter, started writing the prologue/first chapter. It's a bit weird though without the art assets, since I haven't drawn those yet...

RPG/Witness to Unity: Completed subclassing code, save terminal code, "Unity Level Up" animation sequence. I've shifted a bunch of stuff in my todo list into lower priority, should I chose to drop them entirely~. Now it's back to event/gameplay stuff instead of all this engine code. > .>;
Reply }
First off...

TAYROOOOO!!!!!! Laughing If you want to post Ren'Py and Unity stuff, go ahead. Resources would be using the same Actor/Faces/Tiles/Pictures categories as normal. If you have 'code', I can make prefix icons to match.

Hey, Ahzoh. To disable Diagonal action, set DIAGONAL_ACTION to false in the first config page. It means you can't move diagonally, but it does disable diagonal-based and sweep melee attacks. The actual range of a melee weapon just handles how far the attack goes in the facing direction in tiles.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
what about disabling friendly fire and parts of the heads-up display?

Well that diagonal action leaves me in pickle, I like to have moving in 8 directions, have some weapons with an area of effect attacking like what goes on in the demo and some weapons that don't.
"Turning iron ore into iron swords is a hard process, for one must first dig out the rock, and melt it to refine it, then one must pour that metal into a mould, let it cool a bit, and pound on it while it cools even further. Games are no different." - Ahzoh

ʾEšol ḵavud ʾelẕakud lav ʾezʾaẕud zwazaršeru ya lit žalneru lav lit t͛enud. Ṗal sa-ražheru lav raržižu paplam lav ṗal widsaṟam bemaḵu šuku lit ʾeyṭu waẏnilaẇ.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Reply }
Well, area of effect attacks like explosions and missiles that have area of effects aren't affected by the DIAGONAL_ACTION switch. And if you want it so you cannot hurt allies, turn the CAN_HURT_ALLY switch in the first page off. That's the 51st line in the 1st config page.

I guess, if you want Diagonal movement but no diagonal combat, this is what you can do. Keep DIAGONAL_ACTION set to true.... then go to the attack_facing? method in "3a ABS Engine (General) ". Line #1967. Replace the entire:
Code:
if Lycan::DIAGONAL_ACTION == true
  return facing?(element, object)
else
  return true if facing?(element, object) and
                  in_line?(element, object)
  return false
end
block with
Code:
return true if facing?(element, object) and in_line?(element, object)

Insofar as the hud... They Lycan Hud is actually a separate entity, with switches you can turn on/off, values which lets you move parts around on the screen, and more. Heck, I've thought about making a sorta separate thread just for different layouts of the Lycan HUD with different graphics. With this, you could style a hud like in DIABLO, Perfect World, or more. Yes, even on dialup, I've played MMOs.

EDIT: the in_line? method only checks cartesian factors... no diagonal. So the above fix prevents diagonal attacks.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
all right, thanks.

"Well, area of effect attacks like explosions and missiles that have area of effects"
I don't mean those kinds of area of effects, but if I were to be able to have a character wield a halberd and he'd be able to attack in three squares in front of him.

Reply }
You set that 'range' for your halberd under the Melee Weapons. The first value in the MELEE_WEAPONS hash array (other than the weapon ID as a key) is the weapon range. I commented out a couple of weapons, but you can see a 2-tile range for them.

Reply }
Ah, I was unclear, by three squares in front of the character, I mean the right, the middle, and the left, all one square in front of the character. A T-shape if you will, with the character being the bottom of the T.

Reply }
My computer is being stupid and won't show words when I click on the Lycan ABS help file:
http://imgur.com/a/DCmpp

-------------------------------------
Embedding for personal use:
http://i.imgur.com/z1qmXfu.png

Reply }