Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
I ran into a bizarre bug when testing my game: if the player character gets killed in battle, you'll end up controlling an invisible square on the field. They will only appearing again after being revived.
Reply }
I've noticed when opening the skill or item menu, I get a bit of a pause while RMVXA has to draw or the items, I suppose. I know it's something to do with the item number, as 1/0 items creates no such jump.

A skill menu with 16 items creates a bit of a jump first open, then doesn't seem to afterwards. An item menu with 21 items has a larger jump/lag issue, and happens every time it's opened. So I wonder then if it's something in the engine, or in my scripting. In a side sandbox/project, there doesn't seem to be any such issue, despite sharing similar design/scripts. The question then is what that they don't share, that is causing the problem.

On lag notes, my battles seem to sway around 57-58fps. It shouldn't be an issue since I don't see slowdown like with those menus opening, but it just bothers me, since everything else seems to be perfectly okay at 60fps~. A quick commenting out leads me to believe it could be the animated battlers in some way, which sounds even more complicated to check for.
Reply }
XP or VXACE? I remember XP has a bug that can cause battles to lag. Or maybe your animated battle script is redrawing everything more than it needs to. A shot in the dark, but it's probably redrawing once for every battler onscreen, instead of updating them all at once.
Reply }
I'm using VXAce. I looked around all over the script, notably in update areas.

I think it's just a part of Ace. I fiddled around, but I'd always end up having the 60fps bounce to 59/57 every 3/5 seconds. I then removed/placed-below-main the Anim Battler script, and set use_sprite? for Game_Actor to true (among some co-ordinates). Even though the sprites were not there, there was still a moment every 5 seconds of a few less frames.

So I should probably just shrug it off.
Reply }
(06-01-2015, 11:18 PM)MechanicalPen Wrote: XP or VXACE? I remember XP has a bug that can cause battles to lag. Or maybe your animated battle script is redrawing everything more than it needs to. A shot in the dark, but it's probably redrawing once for every battler onscreen, instead of updating them all at once.
Interesting. I was suffering from some noticeable lag on battles when using single buffing/healing spells. Initially, I chalked it up to the large party script I'm using but upon closer experimentation, I realized it was the HP/SP bars script I had.
Reply }
Recently, I've been using a sort of timer check in a number of things recently, so bars and stats only refresh after X number of frames. That way, you avoid lag. Helps out a lot.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
That seems excessive even then. You know that the stats will change after an attack/spell/item, so you should just have the refresh for that window there. Otherwise, it's just refreshing every few frames without a need to.

i still can't work out why my item window has a lag/jump when opening ;; ... It doesn't seem to even be any of the edits to it or Window_Selectable, I'm confused...

EDIT: It seems to be the items themselves. I don't know why, but the presence of a bunch of "loot" items, that aren't even included in-battle because they have a Never use condition, is what causes a heavier jump. x -x

EDIT: This is the sequence VXAce seems to go through to check if an item should be drawn in the BattleItem window. Here's each definition, and the definition/s referenced:
PHP Code:
# Window_BattleItem

def include?(item)

$game_party.usable?(item)

end 
PHP Code:
# Game_Party

def usable?(item)

members.any? {|actoractor.usable?(item) }

end 
PHP Code:
# Game_BattlerBase

def usable?(item)
    return 
skill_conditions_met?(item) if item.is_a?(RPG::Skill)
    return 
item_conditions_met?(item)  if item.is_a?(RPG::Item)
    return 
false
  end 
PHP Code:
def item_conditions_met?(item)

usable_item_conditions_met?(item) && $game_party.has_item?(item)

end 
PHP Code:
def usable_item_conditions_met?(item)

movable? && occasion_ok?(item)

end 
And finally the line that obviously matters:
PHP Code:
def occasion_ok?(item)

$game_party.in_battle item.battle_ok? : item.menu_ok?

end 

I replaced the initial include? with item.is_a?(RPG::Item) && item.battle_ok?. There's still a minor jump, but as expected there's zero of it if there's no battle-ready items. With the default line you just need a large number of items at all, even if zero are battle-ready, and there's a hiccup.

I don't know if there's a bug in the sequence, or it's just goddamn convoluted.
Reply }
I dont have enough game to post it. but here's a picture to say im doing something.

Im tired of the boring old title screen. Here's my MMO mimic loader screen. something different.
[Image: CGn5FZmVIAAmMdZ.png:large]

and The CMS...working on it still...or trying to unbreak what worked and now doesn't then fix what never did. If that makes sense.
[Image: CFAsCeLVIAA6Rcb.png:large]
Reply }
I like it! Is this gonna be for the RMXP friends game where you all get lost in an online universe? Kind of like .Hack or something, where you are playing a simulated MMO like game?
[Image: userbar.gif] [Image: userbar.gif]
Reply }
Yep, something very similar to the later .hack themes. Story is a sore point since I have conflicting ideas trying not to completely copy the genre. There's a lot of them now. Sword Art Online, No Game No Life, Log Horizon. Lots of anime that could easily be made into a game. Don't want that competition if I translate it out of RMXP.

and thanks for the feedback :)
Reply }