Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
 What's up, RMers?
Some in the IRC know I am laboring on my own project. Well, Kalier's and Mine. She's a heckuva writer.

At last, I am done with the actual 'writing' of the script code. Unless something odd comes up, I have no further patches or systems to design for the game. And yes, I have begun optimizing all the scripts in the project. Seriously, I released 'ALMOST' every script to the general public here, and there's a lot of overlap between some functions. Stuff needs trimming. Yes, almost. I need to keep SOME things for myself.

Level 1 optimization involved NOT having individual scripts such as 'Mea's MultiStrike' below 'Animated Battlers'. Nope. It involved merging all Game_Temp scripts into one script, all Game_Battler methods into the Game_Battler class... and so forth. Mind you, I had to take care when I encountered aliased/attached methods. As I have told some people that script order does matter, so too does this when performing this stage. :D Sucks when you edit a method 3 times and then you find the next script just 'overwrote' that method because it already had everything you just coded and then some.

Given I had over 100 custom scripts (EGAD!!!) in the project... and running flawlessly, I've spent some time getting Level 1 complete. Today, I sat down at sometime past 10am... and got done with Level 1 optimization just before 10pm!!!

Level 2 optimization is the next step. It involves trimming the fat and finding ways to increase the frame rate.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
I need someone to do that for my game optimization and compatibility. If anyone is interested, I'm paying. PM me with prices I probably have over 100 scripts :)
Reply }
As the laziest programmer, I find that sort of work mostly unnecessary. Optimization should only occur when your code spaghettis into a chore to read, or when the game starts to lag.
Reply }
Hm.. Not getting much more than the 35-37 frames instead of the 40 frames in smooth mode. And that lag apparently is because I'm updating my system's custom audio module, a day-night system and collection of particle effects all running non-stop. So I bumped my frame rate to 50 in-script. Still, I had so many scripts I shared and made public, there was a LOT of replicated code that was unnecessary. My scripts.rxdata size shrank quite a bit.

STILL... This was needed. My menus (though Menu in Maps and with Grouping & Details) still have a classic windowskin/default style appearance. After doing all this cleanup, it'll be time to Moggify* them for each character type you play. *A reference to Moghunter's cool looking menus. I'm gonna have cool blue, blazing red and other sets made for every type of character.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
Work was slow today, so I thought about things like making a map editor for RPG Maker XP, how to build a better pathfinder, and a 2d skeletal animation system.
Reply }
twas the first day of highschool, and from days on, i don't think i'll be abl to go on a comp. ever again...

and this year i'll be learning HTML5 and Javascript 8in ICS
"Turning iron ore into iron swords is a hard process, for one must first dig out the rock, and melt it to refine it, then one must pour that metal into a mould, let it cool a bit, and pound on it while it cools even further. Games are no different." - Ahzoh

Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Vrkhazhian
ʾEšol ḵavud ʾelẕakud lav ʾezʾaẕud zwazaršeru ya lit žalneru lav lit t͛enud. Ṗal sa-ražheru lav raržižu paplam lav ṗal widsaṟam bemaḵu šuku lit ʾeyṭu waẏnilaẇ.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Reply }
Still optimizing. Still cleaning. And adapted a few things I forgot about like ensuring that characters I leave behind (companions) do not get shown available in my custom menus. Hey, let's toss FRED a potion. He's a member of the party! Sorry, we left him back at the other map to watch the entrance of this dungeon. Kinda makes sense, eh?

Oh, and boy did trimming extra 'duplicated' stuff work! My scripts.rxdata file was previously 892K in size. Now, it's 644K. That's a massive drop. Remember, I submitted a helluva lotta scripts.

Reply }
my head hurts from all this code, sob. ... *crawls away back to sprites and databasing*
Reply }
Ow..... The Devile is givin' ya a devil of a headache. *DerVV gives Taylor a bottle of aspirin*

Reply }
I made my first webpage in (X)HTML
"Turning iron ore into iron swords is a hard process, for one must first dig out the rock, and melt it to refine it, then one must pour that metal into a mould, let it cool a bit, and pound on it while it cools even further. Games are no different." - Ahzoh

Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Vrkhazhian
ʾEšol ḵavud ʾelẕakud lav ʾezʾaẕud zwazaršeru ya lit žalneru lav lit t͛enud. Ṗal sa-ražheru lav raržižu paplam lav ṗal widsaṟam bemaḵu šuku lit ʾeyṭu waẏnilaẇ.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Reply }