Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Hi!
Hi!

I'm Az', 26 yo, and I've been using RPG Maker since 13~14 years now.
I started to learn programming with RMXP and RGSS1, and then I spent my time playing around with RGSS3 & VX Ace, just for fun. 
Currently, I don't have any project, maybe I would try to make one with RPG Maker MV (or VX Ace, I don't know).

This forum seemed nice to me, it's full of valuable content, and people look nice, so I joined.

Have a nice day!
Hey Az, welcome!

Funny to see how a lot of people that are hopping on the forum are 25 - 30 years old.
Makes sense if you look at the original release of RMXP.

May you find the inspiration you are looking for.
I really hope you don't pick MV ever, but I know it's your call anyway. If you ever ask me, I'd say keep good old XP on your harddisk! (Plus I've got an independent engine that lets you play XP through VX Ace games... Just in case you didn't know.)

Happy Game Over! Laughing + Tongue sticking out Just kidding! Happy Game Testing!
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 2 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX
Thanks!

I'm seeing this trend too, somehow people who were doing stuff with XP at the time are respawning on different boards.
Personally, I've always been reading the RM forums, without taking part to the discussion (or rarely).

kyonides Wrote:I really hope you don't pick MV ever, but I know it's your call anyway. If you ever ask me, I'd say keep good old XP on your harddisk! (Plus I've got an independent engine that lets you play XP through VX Ace games... Just in case you didn't know.)

I agree with you, MV puts me off, but I think I could give a try. "Just to see". Very happy + Tongue sticking out
What are your thoughts about RMMV? (In a short answer, i think it's not the right place to talk about that :P)

I knew MKXP, but not your fork HiddenChest...
That might potentially encourage me to take XP back, I'll take a look after i finish reading the whole thread. x)
Good, just take into account that I have recently uploaded a new version of the engine. You'll learn more about it on its official thread, of course.

Thoughts? Mmm... well, they've have hit the 1.6.x mark and it's still like a work in progress, you can still find bugs there. Some people realized that some of the updates might have improved stability on mobile devices impacting PC's in the process... Confused Projects are always HUGE! Even if they're supposed to last less than an hour or so... Laughing + Tongue sticking out

By the way, some people say that XP is still popular (or is the most popular) in Japan. Gotta see if our metalfox living in a Japanese city can ever confirm that. Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Right... just came back to greet you. Laughing
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 2 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX
Welcome Az'

I hope you will enjoy your stay.

About the MV thing..I recently managed to freeze the menus in a clean project without any plugins just by pressing the buttons too fast. That never happened to me in 10 years RMXP. ^^"
So I would recommend keep using RMXP. Especially with kyonides HiddenChest Engine it runs wonderful and the editor is far better anyway.
*HOWUUU!* (Translation from Lycan: Greetings )

Hey, Az'. Kinda funny. I've seen the dog you have in your avatar, but never with shades and a cig! Laughing

Yeah, gotta go with the whole "RMXP's Editor is much better" thing. And I personally hate the newer chibi look they started running with VX.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]

I understand your answers. 
Thanks. 

In my case, the transition from XP to VX / VX Ace was a bit hard.
I did not like the chibi characters either (and it's still the case today to be honest), the "new mapping system" which was in my eyes a real bullsh*t.
I really loved the multiple layers mapping style of XP at the time, the mega-tilesets. XP was giving, in a sense, more freedom than the newest versions of RPG Maker.
Then VX Ace released, with RGSS3. I was intrigued, I had to try this out, and finally, I switched to Ace once and for all. 

The point is i never managed to make a map like i wanted with the VX/Ace system, so overlay mapping started to tickle me... 

MV have apparently the same constraints of mapping, the same chibis characters, in addition of using JavaScript based on PIXI.js (which is "not as bad"), instead of Ruby.
It's clearly possible to make great maps with overlay mapping, or using Tiled to do the mapping stuff independently of the official Editor, using 16*16 or 32*32 tiles by modifiying the MV tilemap via plugin, etc.

The real question is "Is it worth the effort?"
I don't know. The more I read the HiddenChest topic, the more I thought I should give another try to RMXP. In addition, I tested the engine with a blank RMXP project and... It's really, really cool, I think I can make something with it...

Thanks again for all your answers, it allowed me to see this from a different angle. It shifted my mind, I think.  Very happy + Tongue sticking out
Welcome, Az'! I'm glad you've already had a chance to benefit from being a member here, I hope you continue to enjoy your stay!
I was passing by here, I wanted to post somewhere in order to say hi, so here it is : HIIIIIIIIIIIII !  Grinning

Otherwise, I'm currently trying to craft something with VX Ace, some turn-based-movement/puzzle/insertwhatyouwanthere mini-game, nothing to post for now...
Maybe I'll come with something a bit later... Maybe.  Very happy + Tongue sticking out

Hoping you all are doing well !