Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creator VS Character Identity
The name issue really is something that you will think about at least a few times when you're making a game.
Personally I think wether or not the character should have a name allready or not depends on the type of game. If it is a silent protagonist, like in the Pokémon games for example, it is okay to have the player choose the name. Or if you build your character from scratch (MMO sytle for example), then of course the player should give the character a name. In games however where the main character (or characters) are talking, have a personality and everything I belive the names should be there as they are a major part of the character.
While back when me and my sister played FF7 for the first time the main Character Cloud was renmed Jani (and to this day I think of him with that name first and his real name second) and while we did add an 'o' at the end of the Name Vivi in FF9 (and again, that's the name I think of XD) I prefere given names over player choice in that regard.
We don't usually choose our own names as well, do we? -Nicknames not included.
In Wild Arms there is one place in the world where you can change your name midgame if you really want to. To this day I think this might be the best option. Have a name, but give the player eventually the choice to change it. -Not right away, but after some time to familiarizize yourself with the character, the world -and the name.
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Please don't spell my name "Yamina-chan". It's all small. Thank you =D
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Creator VS Character Identity - by Kain Nobel - 07-14-2012, 01:54 PM
RE: Creator VS Character Identity - by Pherione - 07-14-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: Creator VS Character Identity - by Samven - 07-14-2012, 02:39 PM
RE: Creator VS Character Identity - by yamina-chan - 07-14-2012, 04:30 PM
RE: Creator VS Character Identity - by Taylor - 07-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   FPS Creator NOW FREE!!!! JayRay 15 26,820 01-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Dr. Schnellinger