Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Legion's Grasp
Chapter 4

The so-called break was actually a mass rush to heal the injured, restock on ammunition in quivers and pouches, bark new orders, and move those who could no longer fight (but were still alive) to the keep. It wasn't an enjoyed moment, but it was appreciated. If the Legion were to bring a bigger force than this, Wildhammer Stronghold surely would not last. They needed reinforcements. There was one problem though. The demon army was between the dwarves, and any other road, and taking a gryphon was out of the question. The Wildhammers savoured their gryphons, and each and every one had their value in battle, and they could not afford to lose one now (for no one knew how long they would be gone, or that they might ever return, cowardice or otherwise).

Kurdran could be seen sharpening his sword on a grindstone, perhaps he knew that this time they may not be so lucky as to keep them out. He stopped to inspect his handiwork and, satisfied it was sharp enough, walked towards the group of the Outcasts, who were in one corner, discussing a strategy.

"I need one o' ye..." The Outcasts stopped talking and turn to look at the diminuitive but very powerful dwarf. Suddenly he pointed at Materalus. "I need ye ta go ta Shattrath, teleport yaself. Bring back anyone ye can find!"

Mat, disappointed at the loss of battle prospect, saluted, said his goodbyes and good lucks to the group, moved a short distance away, and prepared his spell. It wasn't a difficult spell, he'd done it hundreds of times before. But this time felt different. He knew that there was the possibility he would not see his friends again. But he was too determined for that. He readied himself, and began collecting the arcane energy required to shift locations. As the energy built up, his feet began to tingle, then his legs, and gradually most of his body. Mat felt he was ready, and released the magic. Suddenly he was pulled into darkness, falling, falling, then his feet arrived on solid ground. Usually at this point (and the same to any unwary mage) he would stumble, but he managed to regain his balance before he fell on his arse.

The other three of the guild looked worried as their mage disappeared in a flash of light. It was either make or break this time around, with them stuck in the middle of it. This would not be a pretty fight.

"This waiting's killing me," said Hogarth.

"Well, if you wait a bit longer the demons might be able to help you with that," Semellet replied, with a smirk.

Myana chipped in. "It's not funny."

"...'Spose..."

Hogarth, fed up of waiting, wanting to contribute, sped off to the ramparts, and spied over the battlements. Using his far-seeing hunter-sight, he could spot the demons in the distance, milling about, no doubt formulating the demise of the dwarves and their pesky allies. Hogarth startled... he saw at the head of the army, an Eredar! If the Doomguards were huge, then the Eredar were gargantuan. Even the smallest of Eredar would tower over the massive wall that the hunter now stood on. They were often chosen for big operations, and they usually succeeded. It takes a big group of hardy adventurers to be able to fell one. Of course the Outcasts had faced Eredar before, but now Hogarth feared for his brethren, he doubted that brute force on it's own would be able to help them out of this battle. He ran down to Kurdran to inform him of the bad news.

There was much swearing, but there wasn't time for much else, for right then the war cries of hundreds of demons shook everyone to their core. A mass panic, as everyone rushed to their posts that they had taken up previously, trying as best as they could to cover the gaps in their lines where their brothers-in-arms had fallen and been taken away. This time there were no more meteors, Legion Hold was confident that they had enough force to crush their enemies this time around. Doomguards split their forces into units, and began to advance.

The dwarves braced themselves, gripping bows and arrow shafts. A commander signalled. Bowstrings were flexed as the first volley bore down on the demonic army. Several fell. The inexorable mass pressed on, hardly caring for those who were lost to them. The weak fall, the strong stand tall. The first unit reached the wall, banged into it, shook the wall to its foundations. But it would not budge. Arrows pierced corrupted bulk, and the energy dissipated whilst the corpse plunged to the ground. Four other squads found the walls and began tearing at them. Another commenced the pulverisation of the door.

It was all going to hell. The shit hit the fan. The dwarves simply could not withstand the onslaught. A few warriors took shadow bolts to the chest, and died where they stood. Thrown boulders smashed into the walls. Some split. Battlements caved in. Those dwarves who were behind the walls had to shield themselves from falling rocks, and being flattened, many dived out of the way, others raised their solid shields over their heads as rocks clanged into them. Fewer still weren't so lucky, crushed. Myana, Semellet and the medics were worked into overdrive. They simply hadn't the damage output to drive the demons back, even if Mat was still there. They desperately needed those reinforcements, but nobody knew how many would come, how long it would be before they got to the frontlines, or if they would get there at all.

Still, the dwarves held out as best as they could. The downed two units of demons, then removed the threat at the door. They had to work systematically, with purpose, not shooting out at random targets haphazardly. As the line of fire worked its way over to the northwest, six Doomguards had reached the doors, and were trying to split the reinforced wood. Then it happened. A massive bang and the doors were open. Demons roared triumphantly, thinking victory at hand, they charged through the arches, to be met with dwarven axes. Five went down, but the other continued to bash at the sides of the entry, widening the hole, diminishing any chance to rebuild mid-fight. Several more demons flocked behind it and growled viciously at the dwarves, some batting them away, but most were still ripping at the walls. The archway suddenly collapsed, crushing a couple of demons and dwarves, and then the true invasion began.

*CRASH* A human cannonball threw a demon to the ground, from outside the wall and killed it swiftly. Another rushed in, and hew another down. Looking over the battlements there was a clear line where the demons used to be. The dwarves finished off the rest at the entrance. Grinning widely, one of the humans meandered inside, to be greeted by the three Outcasts.

"Miss me?"

"Hideo! It's about time you got off your lazy butt and came to help!" Exclaimed Semellet. "We're getting pounded."

"Luckily for you I brought some friends..."

Sprinting around the corner, Materalus looked out of breath, all he could managed was "....huff....wheeze.......people............huff.. .." before having to lean on an arm against a wall. He collected himself and tried again. "I brought help... Heh, just in time I think. I leave you for one minute and everything goes apocalyptic!" Mat wagged a finger at Sem.

Myana folded her arms, looking cross. "It wasn't very fun!"

"Well then I guess we can have some now, heheheh." This voice came from someone else. He was a human warrior. He had blonde hair, it was cut into a flat top. He hefted a huge sword in one hand, and a sturdy shield in the other.

"Who invited him here?" Said Myana, shooting a dirty look at Neokyze.

Mat shrugged. "He kind of... invited himself." He shrugged again. "We need all the help we can get."

"Damn right you do. Come on, let's go clobber stuff."

"Wait a sec. This isn't everyone. Catteeka has already started working her way up and down the lines, as well as a couple of others I managed to get ahold of." Explained Mat.

"Oh good," sighed Myana. "I was thinking we'd have to try and take down that huge army all by ourselves." She gripped her staff menacingly, and grinned slightly.

"Let's get going then!" Yelled Semellet, and everyone charged off to battle, the walls still crumbling.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
The Legion's Grasp - by Luke - 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
The Legion's Grasp - by Luke - 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
The Legion's Grasp - by Luke - 12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
The Legion's Grasp - by Luke - 12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
The Legion's Grasp - by Luke - 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM