Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again
1)

He carried Marcus' staff, a weapon the guardian seemed rather attached to now that it had been recovered. However, since neither Daniel nor Robin had ever used a crossbow before and the weapon required two hands, Marcus entrusted his prize to Daniel for the time being.

It was heavier than he'd expected, but well-balanced, made of steel and capped on one end with brass. It was well cared-for, but as he held it, Daniel could make out hints of damage that told of a life of wear. It seemed to suit its owner.

The stale air became cooler as the three marched up the stone stairway which grew darker as they left the last set of everburning torches behind. So far there'd been no traps. Perhaps Balthus hadn't wanted to deal with them while racing down this passage? Daniel wasn't sure, the black mage's mind was a twisted mess he didn't want to contemplate too much.

Before long, the stairs ended at a door, long unused yet still marked with magic.

Daniel sighed. "Figures. Another trap?"

"Balthus traps everything," said Robin. She leaned her head on Daniel's shoulder. "He didn't trust anything or anyone."

Daniel put his arm around her. She shivered briefly, but apparently not from the chill. "Are you-"

"It's nothing," she said quickly, then added. "I... felt like someone walked over my grave. Or dug it up."

He gave her a worried look. "Not Balthus again?"

"No! And if he tries anything, I'll do more than just kick him in the fork!.. Anyway, it's gone now."

"...You kicked him-"

"Later Danny... We need to worry about the door."

Daniel smiled and gave her a comforting squeeze. Somehow when he imagined her fight with Balthus, he never quite imagined that.

"In that case," said Marcus, interrupting his thoughts, "You two might want to step back, just in case.

"Why?"

Marcus leveled the crossbow at the door. "I'm going to try the direct approach."

Automatically, Daniel and Robin retreated a few steps down the stairs. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

The bolt thudded into the door directly in the center of the runic pattern which flared briefly, then broke like threads with a sparking "snap" and faded, incinerating the bolt as it did.

"Yes, I am," Marcus finally answered.

He smiled. "Don't worry lad. I recognized the work. We'll need to get that open before it recharges though. Give me a hand."

He gave it a cursory examination for further traps, then started to push. Something cracked on the other side as the door swung stiffly open into a shallow cave, and beyond...

"We're outside?" marveled Daniel, staring at the winter woods lit with sunlight. He'd been starting to think he'd never see the sun again.

Marcus paused to examined the door: the outside had been covered in plaster painted to look like rock which broke when the portal opened. An illusion without magic, clever.

Robin shivered, this time with the cold. "Any idea where outside?"
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again - by Mea - 06-25-2009, 05:30 AM