Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again
3)

At least they appeared to be in a normal place for once. The corridor they had discovered was simple gray bricks for walls, and the stone floor seemed sturdy enough. Robin sighed in relief. She was hoping that Balthus hadn't set up any surprises in this place, as it was unlikely that anyone would have gotten past that room anyway.

The area was dimly lit by spelled torches that flickered and cast off a small amount of light. "This should be an escape route." Marcus told them. "It should take us beyond the fortress."

"Or to another point within the fortress." Daniel muttered. "But at least it gets us away from that room."

Robin nodded. "I don't know anything about this." She told them. "Balthus hadn't thought about this place while he dwelled within my mind. It's likely that he'd even forgotten that it existed. He'll probably believe that we died in that room, which will hopefully give us an advantage."

"I doubt it." Marcus said softly. "Balthus will probably know that we've escaped, and will try to prevent us from reaching his location."

"I was trying to be optimistic."

"And I'm trying to look at the worst case scenario. This isn't going to be easy, and I want you two to understand that. Balthus has always been powerful, and I imagine that he's only grown more so. We may not even make it back to our homes. Can you both deal with that?"

Daniel lightly took Robin's hand, grinning at her warmly. "Let's go." He said. "We have to catch up to Balthus as soon as possible. Who knows what he's up to?"

Marcus sighed. Daniel wouldn't even answer the question. "You do understand what I'm saying, right lad?"

"Of course. However, I have no intention of dying. Nor will allow either you or Robin to do so. We just have to stay one step ahead of him."

The boy was stubborn, which Marcus found to be a rather enduring trait. It seemed that Daniel was one of those people who always managed to reach their goal no matter how extreme, due to stubbornness alone. He didn't know how to quit.

Marcus had believed that Robin was beyond salvation, but Daniel hadn't given up, and now Robin had been freed from Balthus. Maybe...well, they just might have a chance.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again - by kalier - 06-25-2009, 05:26 AM