Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again
3)

Sweat dripped down the back of Daniel's neck. Traps. He should have known! Of course, it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise, considering whose fortress they were invading.

"Danny?" Robin asked, a little impatiently. "The longer we stand in one place, the risk of being discovered--"

"Shut up." Daniel hissed. He had the awful feeling that not only traps awaited them, but something much worse. He could feel its malice, as if it were a tangible thing.

"Danny!"

"Robin, be quiet. I'm trying to think."

Traps, and something further below. The traps were going to be difficult enough to avoid, with Robin being more of a pest than help. "Okay." He said after a moment. "Listen carefully. These stairs are riddled with traps. Stay behind me, and step exactly where I do."

"Traps?" She muttered.

"And a presence below us." He admitted. "Not a good one, either. You know, Robin. This little game of yours might very well get us killed."

"Daniel!" She exclaimed, a little hurt. "You didn't have to agree to come with me!"

He knew that she was right. He could have stayed home, safe in his bed. But--"What else was a supposed to do?" He grinned, even though he knew she couldn't see her own hand in front of her face. "Let you get into trouble without me? What's the fun in that? Come on, Robin. Just watch your step."

Daniel cautiously led the way down the stairs, feeling along the walls, and listening intently. Several times he stopped their progress, just in time to avoid a crossbow bolt, or a sudden burst of flame that shot from the wall.

Robin was clutching his arm in a death grip, finally showing how much she really was scared. In some ways, he felt sorry for her. She couldn't see or hear what he could. She might as well have been blind. That had to be horrible for her. She had to rely on someone else for a change. Something she never allowed herself to do.

Eventually, they saw light at the end of the stairs, and they came to a long, winding corridor. "Ah!" Robin exclaimed happily. "I'm glad that's over!"

A sickening stench reached Daniel's sensitive nose. He was right! Something was down here with them. "Robin--" He began.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again - by kalier - 06-25-2009, 03:48 AM