Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Peer pressured badly to switch engines?
Okay... we're straying back away from the spirit of the newly created forum thread about whether peer pressure HAS been experienced, and we can all agree, it has. That being said, I had to address a few errant statements. 

(01-27-2023, 10:56 PM)kyonides Wrote: One is the well known limitations on tileset dimensions...

Okay, we've been over this but let's try to showcase a few things...

If we're going by the base tileset, with no expanding plugins (MV) or scripts (XP) XP has 7 autotile features for any tileset. That means that XP can only provide enough spaces to do seven different blocks for autotile features, before using the three layers in game + event level to decorate your maps.

[Image: 5TvWBfr.png]

Then for me personally, it becomes a trial-and-error situation of making sure that one tile can be seen over the other, also ensuring that the priorities, passabilities and more get posted correctly. Also of note is how much space you actually HAVE to work with each autotile. You gain only 16 pixels in which to accent your borders, and strangely enough on each autotile, 4 16x16 blocks of pixels are repeats of the central four blocks. 

Now, with MV.... in the autotile sections, you have... 

- 8 autotiles on A1 that can be combined with 8 decal autotiles for a combination of around 64 autotiles
- 8 more base ground autotiles with a variation autiotile for each, along with 16 decal autotiles that can be placed over any of the 8 tiles of A1 OR A2
- 32 more block-style autotiles for walls and roofs
- 24 more autotiles for complex wall or obstruction shapes, all of which can still enjoy those 16 different decals from A2

[Image: ypN6TZ2.png]

In sheer combinations alone, that's a lot more than XP's Tilesetting, meaning in order to add decals to your autotiles, you have to devote a portion of your regular non-autotile tileset to augmenting the small choices you have for your tileset. 

Next, as far as Tilesets themselves go... 

RMXP does allow 'unlimited' tilesets - albiet by the out-of-the-box configuration, only allow for 32 pixels per tile. Also, if you want any variations in your tileset, you can't just create a new tileset configuration in the editor to 'take a little from this set, and a little from that set.' No - it's ONLY that tileset. MV allows you to have 4 different subsections for your specific tileset. Want some dungeon tiles in your forest? Swap the D set for the dungeon set. Want a few town tiles? Swap the B set....

If you want that sort of variation in your XP tileset, you have to MAKE a whole new tileset graphic, some of which will have the same tiles, repetitive, taking more memory and space. Now, one would say. No! I'll just put ALLLLL my tiles on one set, that way no matter what forest encounter I want, I have the tile for it, to which I say, Ok, now you have a 256 pixel graphic x 3840 pixels running all over the place. 

MV's tileset graphics at the biggest are 768x768, compartmentalized, easy to swap out, and much more efficient. I believe you can have up to 999 of those different combinations, much more than anyone (even myself) would ever need. 

However, that all is negligable because as you yourself have admitted, both XP and MV have extensions like Doodads, making both their tilesets 'infinite' - MV does edge out there in my opinion as I have a more visually appealing interface with Yanfly's Grid Free Doodads script. It can be used inside the test play itself. 

(01-27-2023, 10:56 PM)kyonides Wrote: ... It's the default audio play DELAY. Seriously, the RGSS based engines weren't as bad as to introduce such a horrible bug. On MV people have to way till the file is fully loaded on memory to start listening to it... AFTER they have entered the new map or menu (if the menu has its own BGM properly setup)....

Negligable

AudioStreaming.js (Plugin to improve RPG Maker MV audio performance) | RPG Maker Forums (rpgmakerweb.com)

No real scripting knowledge needed. Add plugin to plugin directory, set perimeters, and I personally see no audio performance issues. Just like XP has different scripts for anti-lag and audio lag (and yes, XP has audio lag issues as well, especially in cutscenes... ) MV has issues that are easily fixed with a drag-and-drop plugin. The difference in my opinion IS that it's plug and play. XP's scripts, you have to add them, and then if there's anything you need to 'tweak' you have to go into the script, find the line, and tweak it manually, Heaven help you if you accidently delete a ";" or something. With MV, once you install a plugin, you can turn it off and on, and go in and see the variables that you should be able to change, and leave the advanced stuff to the tweakers.
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
}

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peer pressured badly to switch engines? - by JayRay - 01-28-2023, 12:40 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 10:39 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 12:32 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 01:55 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 02:05 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by DerVVulfman - 01-26-2023, 03:09 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 04:53 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 05:38 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Melana - 01-26-2023, 05:57 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 01-26-2023, 06:20 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by DerVVulfman - 01-26-2023, 08:26 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by kyonides - 01-26-2023, 09:32 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by Remi-chan - 01-26-2023, 11:01 PM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by JayRay - 01-27-2023, 02:08 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by JayRay - 01-27-2023, 02:20 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by DerVVulfman - 01-27-2023, 05:07 AM
RE: What's up, RMers? - by kyonides - 01-27-2023, 05:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   VX versus XP. Your view upon the two engines. aerendyll 27 33,625 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Xathia Vastar