Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 VX versus XP. Your view upon the two engines.
DerVVulfman Wrote: Not necessarily.

The mapping engine in RMXP still has another advantage in it's copy paste feature in how you can copy a block and paste it elsewhere in a map... without the nagging 'autotile' feature getting in the way.

In RMXP, you can copy some ground terrain drawn with an autotile and paste it into a body of water. The result is a square block of grass, no shoreline or anything. Good if you wanna avoid the autotile edges. If you want shorelines, you can still draw them later.

In RMVX, you can copy some ground terrain drawn with an autotile and paste it into a body of water. The result will always include the surrounding shoreline. No option available for the mapper to avoid it.

So, aside from the terrain tags scripts, the passables scripts, additional autotiles and tileset changers, and this problem.... Yeesh.....
With scripts and wise use of the SHIFT-key (which does EXACTLY THE SAME as the select tool in RPG Maker XP), that problem is solved. In fact, I love RPG Maker VX for having a lot more autotiles without the use of scripts.

The directional passing always was a bit of an annoyance to me, to be honest. I was always able to set how the player should pass the tiles, but I didn't like how it was hard for me to make tiles where you could walk on but could cross the edges. I never managed to pull that off.

One thing that annoyed me to no end in RPG Maker XP was that events could be set to appear UNDER the player by default. Seriously. It didn't allow the use of switches to step on, magic circles that light up as you walk over them, etc. I almost never need the "Above Player" priority setting (except when two "layers" of tiles don't suffice for mapping), but "Below Player" is loved and treasured by me.

It's the little things that make me prefer VX, really.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
VX versus XP. Your view upon the two engines. - by aerendyll - 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
VX versus XP. Your view upon the two engines. - by Guest - 01-05-2010, 03:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Peer pressured badly to switch engines? kyonides 32 12,459 01-28-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Kain Nobel