Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 02-14-2014

yes, right click the image and view picture... image is actually 800x600 much bigger

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-14-2014

the baby is crawling over a custom lava tile. it's a callback to something mentioned earlier in the game. im trying to not only build a world, but keep the world contained within itself.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 02-14-2014

(02-14-2014, 08:29 PM)JayRay Wrote: yes, right click the image and view picture... image is actually 800x600 much bigger
Ah I see. That' a lot better. The hotkey system looks interesting, and not to mention useful.

(02-14-2014, 09:20 PM)KasperKalamity Wrote: the baby is crawling over a custom lava tile. it's a callback to something mentioned earlier in the game. im trying to not only build a world, but keep the world contained within itself.
World building stuff, I get it. I'm trying to do the same on my project too. Speaking of which, I should get around and post pics of the maps I've worked on as well.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-15-2014

what's your world building process like? i'm a bookmark hoarder, and i try to work in any little details of things that i can

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 02-15-2014

(02-15-2014, 04:26 AM)KasperKalamity Wrote: what's your world building process like? i'm a bookmark hoarder, and i try to work in any little details of things that i can

I try to tie several background events through optional dialogs and sidequests For example, a recurring theme is to find things, such a watchtower or a locked undercroft located in a swamp, that were built for a war will never happen, with NPCs commenting about it. The previously mentioned watchtower is now a glorified warehouse, with a knight lamenting how all the weapons stored there are rusting away and the undercroft is part of a quest involving an attempt to find more info on the building and the several goodies stored on it.

I just finished a quest involving a deserted island, mentioned by a person earlier in the game.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 02-15-2014

(02-15-2014, 07:23 PM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 04:26 AM)KasperKalamity Wrote: what's your world building process like? i'm a bookmark hoarder, and i try to work in any little details of things that i can

I try to tie several background events through optional dialogs and sidequests For example, a recurring theme is to find things, such a watchtower or a locked undercroft located in a swamp, that were built for a war will never happen, with NPCs commenting about it. The previously mentioned watchtower is now a glorified warehouse, with a knight lamenting how all the weapons stored there are rusting away and the undercroft is part of a quest involving an attempt to find more info on the building and the several goodies stored on it.

I just finished a quest involving a deserted island, mentioned by a person earlier in the game.

my world building process involves dreaming about it...

I could never just sit down and think about how I build my world(s).

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-16-2014

you dont ever sit down, get distracted, and get ideas that way? i drew a lot of my monsters first. since there can be so many, i wanted to just let them out, and lead me. the stonger looking ones have environments towards the end of the game, the weaker ones show up in the beginning. after i set up a chain of locations, i give them names, and figure out how to use them in such a way that the game writes itself.

after awhile, i go through my hoarded bookmarks, and find the best stuff to reference. sometimes it's a concept, other times it's a name, or the name of a place.

after about a month or so of this, i get burnt out and resume my normal routine for a few weeks.

Villageburg at full scale. it's a thumbnail

[Image: th_fabulousvillageburg_zpsafbc896d.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Zerbu - 02-18-2014

@KasperKalamity - This is something that's in a lot of games but it bugs me: the way the land and sea is near the same level is dangerous and would lead to floods if it was there in real life. I'm not pointing fingers squarely at that map though, since a lot of games do that, and since it's a game it doesn't have to be completely realistic so you can ignore that if you want. Also, some areas of grass look a bit bare, especially the ones without trees, but it might look better if you add some more grass autotiles. Other than that, it's shaping up nicely.

The opening scene for my game, Utzu Treasure:

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 02-18-2014

pretty cool actually. Liking the font changes on the screen, and definitely like the setting of the emotion for the face portion of the custom message system. VX? or VXA?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 02-18-2014

It seems nice, but something about the story's a tad off...
hard to put in words but:

"I defeated you with magic, give up now?"
"uhh... ok, but I'll get stronger, and I'll defeat you!" (then reference to the heroes and antagonists of Pokemon)
Seems strange, most people in the position of Dragos(?) would have just killed or severely injure him (Tral) at this point, they'd have to be pretty stupid in their arrogance to not see this as a threat. Then again, it's like Darth Vader not killing his son at a young age to prevent him from growing up with a desire for revenge....

Also, most people don't just stop at the front yelling at the guy to stop grabbing the stone, it's even weirder if the guy doesn't even grab the stone but just move down and just stands there talking boastfully, because then Tral could just charge Dragos right then and there before he could react because Dragos did not grab the stone.
"sorry to break it to you, but there's no way you can defeat me right here"
Albeit true, but if I had power, I would not be expecting my oponents to defeat me at all at anyplace.

But at least it's not start off as the drab and dreary story of a boy off on a quest for power or something. I see something good here...