Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 12-09-2013

(12-08-2013, 10:54 AM)Kain_Nobel Wrote: Very nice Yin, I love both the layout of your save menu and the fat sleeping tree lady lol! Once you make your edits, might I suggest adding the HP/MP bars for your heroes? Hm, some players might be interested in save file time stamps (Saved on MM/DD/YY @ HH:MM)

Blizzard

A preview of my blizzard 'fog' and body temperature gauge.

[Image: BOTBBlizzard_zps3b3926f5.png]

In the next few areas, the heroes will have to navigate through a heavy snow storm and, the thicker and faster the blizzard falls, the quicker their collective body temperature will drop. During the expedition, field visibility will vary and they will have to find ways to escape the elements to survive. Caves and buildings will provide temporary shelter, allowing the team to warm themselves up, but they must keep pushing forward to their target destination.

hey, you mind if I got something like this in my game?

and also can I use that blizzard? would do nicely for the northerly regions of Arkheo

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 12-09-2013

Alright, some gif magic...

[Image: BOTB-Blizzard_zpsd88ee318.gif]

In truth, the bar is never completely full or empty, it just stays within a certain range. When the bar is about half or lower, you suffer from speed reduction. When it reaches those 3 red lines, you pass out and wake up at the town or nearest checkpoint. While there is loot to find, you'll have to keep track of your nearest cave so you can warm up between treasure hunts.

Also, it's easy to get distracted from the blizzard in your face, but the bar starts blinking slightly to notify the player that their body temp is getting dangerously low.

Ahzoh I'll have to send you the image tomorrow. I had to fight my internet connection just to get this image uploaded :(

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 12-09-2013

That's a pretty interesting gimmick. The blizzard does hamper your vision but not to the point of making the area imposible to navigate.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 12-09-2013

tbh i've seen worse blindness in pokemon games, Diamond version comes too mind, all I could do was stumble blindly upwards and try and dig myself out the snow.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 12-09-2013

alright i'll ask. how'd you get it to be animated like that?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 12-10-2013

(12-09-2013, 11:53 PM)KasperKalamity Wrote: alright i'll ask. how'd you get it to be animated like that?

http://www.rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/tutorial_amap2.shtml

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 12-10-2013

yeah that, but it looks like it moves like a charset. is the fog animated, or is that just how it came out in the screenshots?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 12-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 09:24 PM)KasperKalamity Wrote: yeah that, but it looks like it moves like a charset. is the fog animated, or is that just how it came out in the screenshots?

it does not move like a charset, the guide introduces that there is a "scroll" feature that allows the movement of the fog picture.

"The Scroll feature is quite cool. It allows the fog to move in any direction at any speed continually over the map. SX, or X-Scroll is how much from left to right the fog scrolls, and SY or Y-Scroll is how much from top to bottom the fog scrolls. Of course, having negative values in these boxes would reverse the direction of scrolling. You can also put values in both the boxes to have the fog scrolling in a diagonal direction (with both the values the same) or a slightly-off diagonal direction (with two different values). Have a play around and see which values work the best. Bear in mind that the higher the value, the faster the fog will scroll, and with negative numbers, the smaller the value, the faster it will scroll (for example, -5 will scroll faster than -2). Confusing, eh?" (tigers-eye)

it doesn't have to be jus' fog

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 12-10-2013

no, i see it now. i know how fog scrolls... its how he screencapped it.

anyway, finished a rough draft for a swamp where you ride gas bubbles to find a magic mushroom so a guy can make a teleportation portal

[Image: th_swamppuzzle_zpse706cfcd.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 12-14-2013

Nice, looks challenging! :D

I used PhotoShop, but I think you can make .gifs with GIMP too.

Here's a new one, large image warning...

Content Hidden

I'm thinking I might make this portion similar to FF7's Great Glacier area, paper map, frostbite and all. Don't know if I'll go as far as including snowboarding and mountain climbing, but we'll see.

Also, need to design a couple more different "fogs" to represent snowfall intensity. I've got the heavy blizzard and light snowfall "fogs" covered, maybe I just need one or two more in-between variations.