Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export and Import System
This script works only with the legal (1.02) version of RMXP.

Export & Import System
by EmilyAnnCoons
Designed by: Midas Mike/Tamo Konichi/SCMike (all the same person)
SDK Compatibility: None

Dec 29 2006

This is a locked, single-post thread from Creation Asylum. Archived here to prevent its loss.
No support is given. If you are the owner of the thread, please contact administration.

This is the Export and Import System I made for my game. It allows the player to export their character from one game, and import them into another game. Anyone who has played the Quest for Glory series knows what I'm talking about. In order for this to work, the Database must be the same (the enemies, sytem, etc.) this includes, but is not limited to, the scripts. I have not yet tested to see if adding new scripts to the next game will harm the import in any way, but I do not advise doing it, unless you wish to test it.

This script is not SDK Compatible, as the script has many edits to the Title Screen, thus you would have to edit the SDK, which is not allowed by the creators of it, thus, as such, I will not edit it.

To use this script, copy the Window_ExportFile, Scene_ExportFile, Scene_Export, and Scene_Import scripts into your game as they are listed. Do not edit the order, as it might cause the script to not work (I don't know, I didn't try.) If you wish for your players to be able to import the script, you will need to copy the Scene_Title script that is included above. Lastly, you will need the two lines of code that were added to Game_System. They are: attr_accessor :export_count which goes directly above attr_accessor :save_count and the other is: @export_count = 0 which goes directly above @save_count = 0

QUOTEWhat will this script do?

It allows your players to export their characters from one game into another game that has the Import system in it. Please note: It will save everything! This includes items in the inventory, money, and equipment. The only thing it does not save is play time, switches, variables, and self switches.

QUOTEWhat will this script NOT do?

This script DOES NOT work as a save system. You must call the script in both sides to use it, therefore, you can't use it just as a new save system. I see no point anyway, as it uses the default save look and everything. It also will not save play time, switches, variables, and self switches. This is so the player can start the new game anew. If you wish for the switches and variables to save, you must go in and start all the switches and set the variables up in the first event of the game.

QUOTEHow do I call this script?

Use $scene = Scene_Export.new to call it ingame. The import is programmed into the Scene_Title, as I see no reason for you to need to call it ingame. However, if you must, the code for that is $scene = Scene_Import.new.

QUOTEHow can I keep people from messing up the script by importing from other people's games?

Simpke, in the Scene_ExportFile find return "E#{file_index + 1}.export" for me it is on line 109. Regardless, though, it is near the bottom. Change the "E" to whatever you want (I use the initals of the game, like KtD for Keys to Destruction, and so on). This will make it so the file comes out in that format. You must then go into Window_ExportFile and find @exportname = "E#{@file_index + 1}.export" once again change the "E" to whatever you changed it to in Scene_ExportFile. Afterwards, just copy the same script into your next game, and your game will allow you to import between only those two games. However, I advise not going more then 2 games, as I have yet to figure out a way to makes different export names per game. If I figure it out, though, I will release it to you guys.

QUOTESo...I HAVE to edit Scene_Title?

No, you do not HAVE to edit it. If this is your first game in the series, you should not edit it, as the player will have nothing to import from into this game.

QUOTEI use Scene_New_Game_Plus, are these two scripts compatible?

Only if you take the time to copy and edit everything. You CAN use this script with it by going in and simply finding the "New Addition" sections in the Scene_Title and copying them over to Scene_New_Game_Plus, but remember, that means the player will have to go through 2 save screens at the end, one for New Game Plus, and one for the Export System.

QUOTEI am getting an error. It says "Syntax Error" with "readme.txt"

Sorry...that was my mistake. It's simple to fix. Go to the last line, hit "Enter" then type "=end" but without the "". That will fix it...

At current, those are all the questions, I will update if I get more questions asked frequently enough. Otherwise, have fun using this script. If you use it, though, give credit! It took me 2 hours to get it to work right! >.<

Lastly, for the demo (and the script) download the file I have attached to this post. (Sorry, the script is 4 different sections, and I'm too lazy to copy all that code into here right now v.v)

.zip   Export_Import_System.zip (Size: 203.61 KB / Downloads: 1)
}

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dynamic Weather and Time System ThallionDarkshine 0 2,468 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Last Post: ThallionDarkshine
  Tutorial system Jimmie 0 2,295 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Jimmie
  New and Easy Cache system azrith001 0 2,401 09-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Last Post: azrith001
  Vehicle System El Conductor 0 2,380 12-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Last Post: El Conductor
  IMPROVED Fog of War System Samo the thief 0 2,145 05-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Samo the thief
  Weight Equip System and Limit Samo the thief 0 2,190 01-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Samo the thief
  Prize Points System Dark Ruby 0 2,190 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM