Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Script and Utility
Book Script and Utility
Release 1.2 (0.37)
by Bruth
Jun 10, 2009

This is a locked, single-post thread from Creation Asylum. Archived here to prevent its loss.
No support is given. If you are the owner of the thread, please contact administration.

Updated

I thought it would be nice to add this script I made a long time ago into the archive so it can be found more easily. I hope that some of you find this useful and maybe it will inspire someone to start over and make something even better than what I have done here.

1) Added a sound notification so you know when you have reached the max length for the line.
2) Modified the script and utility to allow up to 14 pictures per page.
3) Made the Add Image buttons disable when text is typed to prevent accidental overwriting with an image import.
4) Added a notification in case you have extra text leftover and didn't press the "Add Page" button before quitting. You will get the option to append the text or discard it.
5) Fixed the Book Script so that it properly disposes of images

Known Bugs:
1) If you put an image at the end of your book manually and do not have a return/newline then the image name will get stripped and cause the script to crash when it can't find the picture. The Book Writer corrects for this by adding a return tothe end of your book before closing.
2) Sometimes, although rarely, your book will get cut short by 1 page. A temporary fix is to change the line:
$pages = ($Book_Text.size/14)
To:
$pages = ($Book_Text.size/14)+1

This will add an extra blank page to all of your books.

3) Something I just realized I forgot to take out, I make note in the help file and the Instructions window that setting the opacity is for pictures and text however this is wrong. The opacity setting works ONLY for images. I am not going to re-package the entire program for something this small. I'll fix it in my next update.

I made a script several weeks ago for displaying books but writing the books was a little difficult so I modified the script and wrote a VB Application for writing books. I've packaged everything together in one file. The file contains

1) Demo
2) The raw script
3) All the default graphics and Audio files
4) Installation instructions
5) Custom Fixedsys Font
5) The Book Writer

Demo File - Link has been updated, this is the current location of the files:
http://www.bcthund.net/files/rmxp/

This is the script system with the necessary utility and dotnet3 framework:
Book_Event + dotnet3.zip

The script works much better than it used to, instead of being limited to a one size image, you can have any size up to the max height of the line you put the image on. Images are 22 pixels per line. You can also use these books in your inventory and gain abilities/stats from reading books. Instructions to do this are included in the Book Writers help file.

I've tried to test everything as much as possible and I think I got everything working pretty well. No more bugs that I can find so far. If you find any though, let me know so I can post and update.

Here are some screens on what you can do:

New Screen Shots

[Image: book_sample1.jpg]

[Image: book_sample2.jpg]

Old Screen Shots

[Image: Snap_06.jpg]

[Image: Snap_05.jpg]

[Image: Snap_03.jpg]

[Image: Snap_04.jpg]
}

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post