Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 A VVulf works to limit Newbie spam...
Dear members,

This is a time when you can give your feedback and make a change.

Right now, we do seem to be getting new member accounts.  It is true that a member must form at least one post to gain full registration privileges, but there have been some instances when that post has been an extremely brief 'Thanks' post in a script or request board, or even less than that.

Full member privileges allow users to access the downloads and forum store system, access to the PM and their own UserCP.  But I had not limited their being able to post within any of the forums.  In this, our hope was that most wishing to join the forum would wish to enhance our community.  Still, the current post requirement does add a degree of stability as incoming members cannot use the PM system to spam the forum or the like.

That being said, I am proposing that new registrees should be limited where they may first post within the forum for full membership.  Instead of being able to post anywhere within the forum as a regular member, I think that new applicants should be limited to only the Feedback and Occasions boards.  In this, issues with logging in can be posted within Feedback while the classic 'introduce yourself' post can be made within Occasions.

I personally have no qualms against members who join and then ask within a code support thread for assistance, nor do I have any issues with those who post their excellent work.  However, as recent events have shown, some limits may be required. 

I await any responses and feedback regarding this topic.

--Your Resident Werewolf.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
I don't think they should be limited by where they post, but rather, the length of their first post and only that first post.
Perhaps a 20-character minimum to prevent junk?

Just some thoughts, not sure how well it'd work  Happy with a sweat
Reply }
Oddly, the minimum character limit was turned off; now re-enabled. But that wouldn't detract from people. One new registree quoted the first page of a thread, and that would surely get past the minimum character limit.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
How about having a capatcha for every post you make for the 1st 24 hours?
That would certainly deter spammers if they had to fill a capatcha just to post anything!
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: 55e3faa432d9efb86b8f19a6f25c0126-dawz35x.png]

new logo for Yesteryear created by Lunarberry!
Reply }
I think that is a good idea. However, I would suggest that if you do it, that the requirements be made extremely clear or we'll deter newcomers or cause a lot of confusion.
Maybe a bit explaining the requirements or a splash screen with a welcome message of sorts. It should be in the rules but also made more obvious (as most wouldn't read the rules fully).
Reply }
Actually, that can be easily handled within the Registration page and in the splash on the screen for guests and the like.

I'm not sure you've seen the forum as a guest, but there is a splash in the top of the forum saying that registered members have access to PMs and the like. For our 'Newbies', we can add where they are restricted until they become fully registered.

And it appears that Lani just caught another Spammer*... another reason to do this. Winking 'Season of the Spammer' again.

* Is she catching up to ya?

Reply }
It has been 'almost' a week since I placed this inquiry, asking for opinions and alternative ideas. This is basically a weekend bump to make this a bit more visible, asking if anyone else had ideas to offer.

Currently, I am keen to the idea of allowing 1st posts for new members to just the Feedback and Occasions boards, but that is merely to ensure they do give an introductory greeting and prevent registrees from signing in to post spam instead. Still, that should in no way hamper them from reading the posts. They will still have access to reading posts. Only after the system sees they made a viable intro/feedback post will the system then convert them into fully registered members.

The minimum character limit, as Bounty Hunter Lani suggested, WAS meant to have a 20 character limit. It now does again have a minimum character limit, and it was odd that it was somehow disabled. But as I stated, quoting a previous post within a thread can be easily performed to get past the character limit.

There are software plugins which can be enabled whereas one needs to go through a Captcha as Siletrea suggested just to make a post. However, I would fear it would prevent members from posting in general, even when they are fully registered.

But for right now, I'm asking if there are any more ideas, suggestions, pizza... Mmm.... pizza.

Reply }
we could do a simple minigame? like click a dog picture to procede to post!

Reply }
Laughing Can't help it.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI

Still.... I don't have that robot test.

Reply }
(05-07-2017, 03:19 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Laughing Can't help it.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI

Still.... I don't have that robot test.

Ok THATS hilarious!

Reply }