Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Dear Everyone (Leveling and Stats discussion)
I have a very serious problem. I cannot wrap my MIND around the stats and leveling system in RMXP. Maybe it's because my mind has a trip-wire whenever numbers try to migrate from my eyes to my brain...yet I digress. I asked this question on the dot org and I got alot of blank looks. Let me phrase my question so that it can be answered or at least expounded upon.

How do you figure out your: stats, leveling, number-of-monsters in an area, and item/enemy hp/whatever?

NOW, before you answer this question, you wise guru you. I must show you a screenshot of the embarrassingly simple concepts that my mind cannot seem to understand.

Content Hidden

Now, I know all of you nice bastards aren't going to mock me and call me a n00b for this, but honestly. I don't understand what any of those do. Also, I have those other questions, about how many monsters you decide to put in an area, all of that nonsense.

Can someone just lay down their personal opinion on how to work out the statistics behind an RPG? God, that would be great. BTW: I play WoW, I beat the shit out of FF7, I know what the concepts behind dexterity, I know the words, I know what they mean, but I don't understand the EXACT GAME MECHANICS of them. Don't baby me, I'm not completely ignorant to every part of this program...

Just this part.

Thank you, in advance.

(ps - you're sexy)
Reply }
daojones Wrote:(ps - you're sexy)
That made my day.

btt, that's why other people say to play test your game often, to balance your stats, many people usually use the default ones, other use different amount, I think someone might know the whole formula.
Reply }
Enemy stats work much the same a player stats. I'll try and break it down to the most important ones.

ATK: The base damage done with physical attacks from this enemy, affected by the STR stat, you'll have to play test the enemy while fiddling with these two to get it to damage the correct amount for your current area.

AGI: How fast the enemy is, AGI determines turn order. If the enemy is faster then your player then the enemy will attack first. Simples no?

EVA: How likely the enemy is to dodge an attack. This is fiddly as hell and I never got it to work correctly, I guess it's affected by another stat. Try it out and see what you get.

PDEF/MDEF: Physical and Magical defense, the base amount of damage that is nullified when attacked.

Basically all I can say is to test out your battles often.
Reply }
Normal damage is:

(ATK - DEF/2) * (STR+20)/20

In other words, if the player and enemy have equal ATK/DEF, you'll do about half that damage, multiplied by one-twentieth of your strength... approximately.

In still other words, if you have 100 ATK versus the enemy's 100 DEF, and you have 100 STR, you'll do 50 "base" damage, time six ((100+20)/20), so around 300.

The way skills power work is it adds to your ATK; so if you have a skill with 100 power, and 100 ATK factor, it'll add 100 to 100% of your ATK.

I hope this makes sense.

As for number of monsters in the area, that totally depends on everything else. How strong skills are versus the cost, how cheap you make healing items, etc. The only real advice anyone can give you there is to decide how strong you want your monsters and players, and then actually run through the dungeon and see if it's as hard as you want, too hard, too easy, etc.
Reply }
RPG Maker XP Damage Calculator: http://crindigo.com/rxdamage.html
Reply }
Thank you all, if anyone has any more tips for me, please feel free.

That link is clutch PK8. Clutch.
Reply }
Aren't the damage formulae explained in the help file? >.>

I'd recommend making your own battle formulae, if you're up to it. The default ones are ill-suited to anything involving smaller numbers. In particular, I didn't like how most of the power vs. def calculations rely on subtraction. It makes things scale very poorly, so enemies end up getting sorted into very distinct 'tiers', so to speak. Things end up being either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard, which makes balancing a lot more work than it needs to be. Of course, making your own could very well end up being even more work...
Reply }