Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 If someone reviewed your game, how would you react?
Okay, time to stir up some interesting discussion in the RM discussion forums.

How would you react if your games got reviewed by another member of the RM community? How would you react if someone made a youtube video of themselves playing your game while reviewing your game? What if these reviews praised your game? Or what if they were to establish the fact that your game may possibly be a steaming pile of poorly put-together bullshit? Talk from experience or speak of it as if your game were to get reviewed.

As for me, I've not made a RM game in a couple of years. The only RMXP game I made would have to be that really bad Rock Paper Scissors game which was really boring in terms of how the interface looked, lack of replayability and apparent bugs when recording the scores.

I have a somewhat slightly thick skin (it's still a bit thin). So speaking hypothetically:

If the review was a text-based review.
  • If a game I made (and that's if I made a game) were to receive praise, I'd be overjoyed.
  • If the reviewer of my game said my game was bad (and if I didn't know any better), I wouldn't react nicely... at first.
  • If the reviewer of my game said my game was bad and if I did know any better, I would (try to) acknowledge the faults present in my reviewed game and I would do one of two things. Try to disassociate myself from the game as soon as possible (cancel the damn thing!) or improve it and make it better.
  • If the reviewer bluntly said "it's shit" and pasted in some poop macro in the review, I think I'd be really offended... at first, I think. But yeah, I'd get offended. That's probably just me though. (X-P)
If the review was done through youtube videos.
  • What if someone were to make a youtube video of themselves playing my game and praising it? I'd be honored.
  • If they were making a youtube video of themselves playing my game and talking about how horrible my game was (and if I didn't know any better)? I would most likely be embarrassed. Even more so if I were to look at the youtube comments that may follow. In fact, I think I would likely want the video taken down.
  • If they were making a youtube video of themselves playing my game and talking about how horrible my game was (and if I did know any better)? I'd try to get over it (as that can be an embarrassing experience), hopefully try to clear things up with the folks sending in video comments and the video creators hoping they aren't complete fucktards like the typical noobs and local assholes of the youtube community.

So speaking hypothetically, how would you react if your games were reviewed? And if your games were reviewed before, it would really help if you've spoken from experience. Discuss away!
Reply }
While I would be excited that a project of mine got reviewed by someone, I mostly remain nonchalant, and I don't object to anyone else's opinions unless I feel a need to.

When I do get a bad review, I do tend to get a bit of a pain, but I suck it up, and use it as a way to learn from past mistakes. However, if the review was pointing out how bad my game was, when the review itself was just crap (Like the single-sentence "THIS GAME SUCKS!!!!!11" review on a place like RRR), I would get a little angry, or I'd just laugh, depending on the situation.

If someone made a youtube video review of my game, I might feel slightly embarrassed that something visual is reviewed and people will actually SEE what the game contains. Like any review I just learn to accept what the reviewer has to say.
Reply }
i'd send people to kill the reviewer in his sleep

no really, i don't care either way. maybe it's because nothing of mine that i've posted as ever been reviewed as bad, i believe that because I put enough effort into everything I do, that overall I'll never receive a truly "negative" review. Sure people will point out flaws, but this irks me not, it's all part of the process. If someone told me my game was crap, I'd probably find out more about them, find out their favourite games and what makes them so "great." I mean, if some guy says my game is crap and then goes, "ARR PEE GEES SUX IT'S ALL ABOUT HAELO" I'm going to know why, and it's not going to bother me. But if I find out he was a writer for Square Enix? I'd probably cry myself to sleep.
Reply }
It depends on the quality of the review, if its an actual proper review I would be happy to see some review my game. If it was the other way, either positive or negative I would get angry since that person didn't take the time to actually work on the review. Of course, I prefer reviews to be deep in criticism, so I could realize what I did wrong and improve in the future. I wouldn't care if it was a written review, or a video.
Reply }
I'd be fine with it, man. In fact, it would be like some cosmic retribution for all the games I tore apart. Of course, there's a good review and a bad review. For a bad review, please see that idiot kid's review of Contra somewhere on Youtube.
From experience of reviewing games in a very critical, swear-ey fashion, I've seen a mixed bag of responses. Some have responded well, saying they know the game is shit. Others have flamed me, begged me to take it down, and one fucker even spammed reports of my video as offensive.
Reply }
i'd be like "hey man, thats not my game, i havent made any."
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   SMILE GAME BUILDER only $13.99 DerVVulfman 0 744 12-27-2022, 05:06 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Unnamed Game Engine is known as Roole kyonides 2 3,670 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Last Post: kyonides
   I have a request when making your next game... JayRay 1 4,441 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: kyonides
   Input on what sort of game you'd be interested in ChickenFetus 7 12,587 06-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Game Development Dream Team Kain Nobel 2 6,007 06-17-2016, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Bounty Hunter Lani
   my Game Battle Questions! JayRay 3 5,766 08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   [Kinda-Poll] Pattern Game for new maker hanetzer 4 7,679 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Last Post: JayRay
Video  Lets Make a Game LilyKnight 27 28,866 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Last Post: greenraven
  Game Idea Thread KasperKalamity 30 34,739 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
  XNA Game Stdio 4.0 millarso 2 5,608 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: millarso