Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 What is "event scripting?"
I've seen this word used many times. Each person has a different definition of what it means. Primarily used by eventers.

Basically, I'd like those (particularly active event-system makers) to define "Event Scripting".
Reply }
Nice thread :D, I think Event Scripting is basically creating a system outside of the engines default capabilities.
Using Events of course, before Event scripting, it was basically eventing
Reply }
It a Title that make us EVENT SCRIPTERS feel more powerful :D
Reply }
How exactly does it make you feel more powerful?
Reply }
Event script? That's the first time I hear the term to be honest

Quote:Nice thread :D, I think Event Scripting is basically creating a system outside of the engines default capabilities.
Using Events of course, before Event scripting, it was basically eventing
Yes, Eventing, that's how I know it myself

Events have lots of potential but scripting allows more code re-usability(?)
Reply }
Well you could do many things with event scripting in fact the console rpg makers encouraged this especially the powerful and difficult RPG Tsuruku 5.
Reply }
The way I see it, "event scripting" is basically using RGSS(2) codes with event commands. An example would be changing a self-switch via "Call Script" or using a "Comment" in an event to trigger a script. It could apply to both default and custom scripts.
Reply }
Regimos Wrote:The way I see it, "event scripting" is basically using RGSS(2) codes with event commands. An example would be changing a self-switch via "Call Script" or using a "Comment" in an event to trigger a script. It could apply to both default and custom scripts.
This.

To me, if you say 'event scripting', and you're just talking about making systems with events, you can't really call it 'event scripting'; it's just 'eventing'. Tacking the word 'scripting' on the end adds confusion, and makes it sound like you're using RGSS when you're just using default events.

That's not to say that eventing is any less valid than scripting, but 'event scripting' uses a combination of the two.
Reply }
I see... Now I get it. I personally never done that but I've seen it done, for instance Big Ed over at vxnet wrote a topic for such commands used with script call to get functions non available through event commands on VX

(yes, I had to reserach it :P)
Reply }
Technically, all "eventing" can be considered "event scripting" because event commands call sections of the default scripts. It just depends on the way you see it.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Common Event Library (Development + Brainstorm thread) PK8 3 8,966 02-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   What Makes an Event System DerVVulfman 8 12,828 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Bolt
   When should I use global, instance, local, and constants in event systems? PK8 17 25,296 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Charlie Fleed