Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-12-2016

i think i'm going to kick this map up by 50 or so tiles and extend that northeastern mountain range further south. 

[Image: nWOlrMp.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-18-2016

camp willow lake

[Image: acr4aw0.png]

A ravine where you find a dead body

[Image: hm6Hopx.png]

my tileset that i'm using for outdoor maps is pushing 25 feet in length. that's how i've managed to keep this all together as one map

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 02-19-2016

Couldn't a map as massive as that one also cause an equally massive amount of lag? I recall what happened in Marshton, with the FPS dipping to single digits.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Melana - 02-19-2016

The map size itself doesn't matter at all.
It depends on the amount of events on that map. Especially when they are moving around.

But with a good Anti Lag script it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
I'm using the one from Near Fantastica and even a map with 800 or more events reduces the FPS by only a few numbers sometimes.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-19-2016

(02-19-2016, 05:05 PM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote: Couldn't a map as massive as that one also cause an equally massive amount of lag? I recall what happened in Marshton, with the FPS dipping to single digits.

that was done on purpose to reflect the deeper, denser snow. In my big map, the events are switched on and off in zones, so only the events near you are on and visible. if for some reason i can't make it work, i can always just break it into smaller maps whatever who cares

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Ahzoh - 02-19-2016

I'm not seeing a ravine in your maps...

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-20-2016

Map Update

[Image: awxoMat.jpg]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 02-20-2016

(02-19-2016, 06:17 PM)KasperKalamity Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 05:05 PM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote: Couldn't a map as massive as that one also cause an equally massive amount of lag? I recall what happened in Marshton, with the FPS dipping to single digits.

that was done on purpose to reflect the deeper, denser snow. In my big map, the events are switched on and off in zones, so only the events near you are on and visible. if for some reason i can't make it work, i can always just break it into smaller maps whatever who cares

I see. Now I understand why Marshton was the only town suffering from lag whereas the other similar sized settlements were not.

As for your new map, I see you added a farm East of the cul de sac and a row of fancy houses South of that large grey building. That solitary white building nested in the mountain range has caught my attention, though.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 02-20-2016

that's a construction site that i haven't drawn tiles for yet, and the 'fancy houses' are a trailer park lol. the cliffs around the white house are pine bluff national park. there are some more mountain ridges i want to add, as well as a hospital, a car dealership, a bus station, and maybe some wind turbines at the very top of the map.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 02-21-2016

Guess I was completely off the mark, ha.

The city sure is looking like it will have everything and then some more. I wish the cities on my game could be as 5% as interesting as the cities in your game. Many, if not all of them, are just glorified rest stops.