Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - XP Kobold - 11-22-2015

@Melana I have to say the lighting is pretty good as well as the use of torches giving the illusion of the lighting with the script.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Melana - 12-07-2015

The edge of one of my thousands of floating islands.
I just love floating islands. It's such an fascinating imagination.

[Image: lighttest5u7z48fvld2.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Terra420 - 12-10-2015

Hey everyone, I love these kinds of threads. Seeing everyone's amazing maps inspires me to make my maps better. So in the spirit of helping someone else I figured I'd post a few of my games maps in there entirety, and see what you all think.
Content Hidden

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 12-10-2015

All those events in the bridge map sparked my curiosity.

(12-10-2015, 01:26 AM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote: All those events in the bridge map sparked my curiosity.

Yeah, those events are all just the bridge graphics, set to different opacity levels so it fades into the background instead of just being cut off at the bottom.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 12-10-2015

Ah. Easier than redrawing the tilesets at the different contrast/brightness levels? And a forest that looks like a dang forest. Nicely done.

But with the number of events in the bridge map, are you using an anti-lag script? All events on a single map refresh and draw upon the game's resources, so your frame rate may slow down. An anti-lag script stops events from refreshing except within the 20x15 tile area of your viewport (and a little bit outside for good measure). Near Fanastica made the first, others were made by Lambchop/Amaranth (her super simple...), Zeriab, and a few others.

(12-10-2015, 04:43 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Ah.  Easier than redrawing the tilesets at the different contrast/brightness levels?  And a forest that looks like a dang forest.  Nicely done.

But with the number of events in the bridge map, are you using an anti-lag script?  All events on a single map refresh and draw upon the game's resources, so your frame rate may slow down.  An anti-lag script stops events from refreshing except within the 20x15 tile area of your viewport (and a little bit outside for good measure).  Near Fanastica made the first, others were made by Lambchop/Amaranth (her super simple...), Zeriab, and a few others.

Never really thought of redrawing the tiles, but it would probably be a bit smoother than opacity levels. I probably will implement that script into my game at some point, but i'm not over concerned with it right now. Thanks for the forest compliment, damn map took me like 4 hours to make... I'll post some more of my maps pretty soon.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 12-10-2015

Well like I say, invest in an Anti-Lag script when you have a lot of events. It prevents a lot of jitters and slowdown in the game.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 01:54 AM)Terra420 Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 01:26 AM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote: All those events in the bridge map sparked my curiosity.

Yeah, those events are all just the bridge graphics, set to different opacity levels so it fades into the background instead of just being cut off at the bottom.

I see. That's a trick I'll sure to remember when I make a bridge on my game.

And I occur with DerVVulfman about the anti lag script. I used to have a lot of troubles with framerates dipping into single digits and general janky-ness until I decided to install and new and improved version of Near Fantastica's script. It really made a world of difference.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Terra420 - 12-11-2015

(12-10-2015, 11:49 PM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 01:54 AM)Terra420 Wrote:

I see. That's a trick I'll sure to remember when I make a bridge on my game.

And I occur with DerVVulfman about the anti lag script. I used to have a lot of troubles with framerates dipping into single digits and general janky-ness until I decided to install and new and improved version of Near Fantastica's script. It really made a world of difference.

Yeah I just recently had a slight lag problem on one of my maps because all the rooms were on one map, and I added a bunch of particle effects to the torches. But I changed it so their not all on one map and it helped a ton. I was also trying to put Near Fantastica's script in but I can't figure out how to turn off the event halting process for thing like birds, certain npcs, etc. Also it would probably take forever since I have probably well over a hundred of those types of events in my game.

Might as well post a screenshot since this is that kind of thread.
[Image: AHO3vMu.png]
There was 25 torches total on this map but now there's 16 since I moved some. FPS went from like 8 back up to 19.

Edit: Lol, didn't realize my staircases were too long untill just now, should probably change that.