Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 04-30-2014

*sigh* One caveat of this work is that I cannot make catwalks or bridges that overlap one another. But you can appear to be cast in a shadow if you walk under a bridge with this work in progress.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 05-05-2014

Whoops! My bad, Ahzoh! Guess what? You CAN make your MC Escher maps!!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/wf3dv0jaosrhvhz/Iso.mp4

Click my linkie and see guys moving about on the hovering catwalks. One overlaps the other!!!

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 05-15-2014

[Image: gJDCs33.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 05-19-2014

Nice little interaction there... I'm guessing Kepties are humans?

Anyway here's my latest...

[Image: mapscreenie2.png]

I still got a lot to do to flesh out the maps, got tons of textures to use, decals to make, and scenery objects, like trees, weeds, ivy, burn barrels, shopping carts, a few cars, a bus that got turned into a makeshift bridge, you name it...

Also gotta make some tarps and signs and such, going to be cluttered in a good way.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 08-02-2014

Damn that is cool. Good work man!

Testing out some OpenGL stuff, which is quite powerful. Unfortunately I didn't animate the screen shot, but just an example of the wobble effect...

[Image: MenuWobble_zps2db6d7e5.png]

There are other effects such as glow, pixelate, blur, sharpen, emboss, toon, etc. Also, it's great for 2D and 3D material, and does well manipulating a 2D object in a 3D space.

I yet know my head from my ass when it comes to C and OpenGL/OpenAL, but I'm slowly gaining interest and knowledge about it. I've always been mystified by the audio and graphical pipelines of games and applications, it's all been voodoo and black magic to me before this. It still kinda is. But it's also kinda boring trying to figure out what the heck buffers and sources are, how they work, what they mean to me, how it can be manipulated, etc.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Charlie Fleed - 08-02-2014

(08-02-2014, 03:14 PM)Kain_Nobel Wrote: I've always been mystified by the audio and graphical pipelines of games and applications, it's all been voodoo and black magic to me before this. It still kinda is. But it's also kinda boring trying to figure out what the heck buffers and sources are, how they work, what they mean to me, how it can be manipulated, etc.

Don't let him escape! He knows too much!

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 09-03-2014

bike racks in the big city (and check out that priority that intersects the bike and rack. i give up)

[Image: eLpUak1.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - cosmickitty - 09-04-2014

ooo nice wibbly wobbly effect :)

Kasper, I'd use a darker color bike, for a second I was trying to figure out what the colors across the black were

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 09-04-2014

i'll make the bikes more noticable. i think the whole game is going to have to be played in full screen. there are a lot of details being lost between drawing them in illustrator, and compiling the tilesets in photoshop.... Sarcasm

and oh hey, i forgot to answer JayRay:
(05-19-2014, 03:02 AM)JayRay Wrote: Nice little interaction there... I'm guessing Kepties are humans?
Lore. Lore has been both the most satisfying, and time demanding part of this project by far o_0". I can't go forward in the game without the world first making sense. I do a lot of Iceberging to make the world seem alive.

Kepties are the remnants of sickly children that were left to die in the western swamp, like in Sparta. some lived, and now they're little yellow trolls who adapted to the swamp they were left in after the Chinpontong accidentally drained the eastern half of it, ceasing their need to be solely swamp dwellers.

the dwarves and Chinpontong (Creole word for "up shit creek" ) are normal, healthy people, who were separated after some fell into a big crevasse caused by the Chinpontong.

the dwarves and Kepties are a spin-off of the Chinpontong, who were originally a cargo cult who worship the great clam spirit (who is also a key that unlocks something or other. i haven't decided yet), said to have washed ashore a (Keptie brand) shipping container full of illegal immigrants bound for the big city that fell off a barge. the Chinpontong remained virtually unchanged, and live like injuns in the great plain, that was once the greater eastern swamp. After falling down the crevasse, the dwarves adapted to smaller spaces, and eventually were able to find other containers washed ashore in the past, through the "miracle" of mesoscale eddies , and brought them underground via a deep sea river.

The screwing-with of the island's geography has made having the three cultures simultaneous existence unsustainable. one of them must perish so the other two can live. Only then will the great clam spirit agree to give its body to unlock the thing.

edit: i changed the bikes. how does this look? i also gave the top tiles priority of 2, but the fence still intersects it with a priority of 1...

[Image: e3GXA2X.png]

edit x2: made some junk tiles for the dwarf cult. nobody but two of the main characters know electricity and appliances are even a thing.

[Image: 0YdPIs5.png]

edit le 3rd: wa-lah

[Image: O2OdXUp.png]
[Image: diuOqe0.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - yamina-chan - 09-07-2014

The bikes still look kinda pale compared to the other colors; more like shapes then actual objects.
Try shading them a bit, or possible give them some light effects, to have them be less flat =)

Your Junkitems look quite good, but it is a bit strange that they are breaking the perspektive.