Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 03-31-2014

Actually, that particular chapel comes from a ripped 3d model, but I have purchased many Arteria3d and Dexsoft packages that I would be using... The blocky low-poly look is what was going to be simple for me, but ifyou can imagine taking a building (with all its strange borders and such) and putting it in a packaged box, you can basically make any building fit in the work of MCG, as scenery which is different from events. Because of this I can use the basic texturesets and heightmaps for terrain and such. I'd really like to get a hold of MCG to see if those heightmaps can be expanded.... if so, I am SO convinced that I can make so many other blocks for terrain, rocky cliffs, outcroppings, you name it...
although with this method of setting scenery as distortions, I think I can do it without it, just drawing all the cliffs and scenery spots.

[Image: screenie033014-2_zpsb91185b5.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 04-13-2014

As you may or may not know, I've reverted back to the base project, and have been VERY busy converting all my RMVXA autotiles to RMXP. I tweaked the current old project slightly, and now have native 1024x768 resolution. There IS a tiny bit of lag, but I'll probably deal with it...

Anyway, as you know I've been using PioneerValleyGames spritesets and tilesets for my project, and I think I'll continue to use it to map out my entire game, and then go back and possibly bit by bit replace the sprites with my own versions, ironing out tilesets to look more rendered and realistic, but... I have three screens thus far for you to take a look at.
[Image: screenshot041314-1_zpsda859677.png]

[Image: screenshot041314-2_zps57509c84.png]

[Image: screenshot041314-3_zps75b657d5.png]

Work to be done very soon....

- Resized Hud and Menu
- Resized Message Box and Choice Windows
- A few tilesets for different regions and transitional regions.
- Cliffs!
- Rounding RMVXA autotiles to fit better with RMXP

I'll also be looking at my textures as walls and roofs are in the tileset themselves and not auto-tiled. I also thought about using the texture blops in addition to autotiles, to aid in getting rid of a lot of jagged autotile corners, as well as add to the diversity of the landscape.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - hanetzer - 04-13-2014

I think I mentioned this before, but damn does that look pretty!

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 04-15-2014

Okay, the new testbed for Roguehaven is working well, at 1024x768... Well you can imagine the changes I had to make to my old screen graphics... This is my concept for a title screen. (You may have to right click and view image to see image at correct size)

[Image: april152014-screen1_zps74a1ec9e.png]

Planned stages of Title Screen...

This whole thing will be on a map itself. each picture layer changing and with it, lava textures will tween between 1-4 different pictures on that layer. Each time the title screen is started however, I have up to 40 backdrops and 20 characters, each combined for a total of 800 variations. There of course will be the three modes of game play, Legends, the New Hero, and Gladiator, which will be a side game in and
of itself.

Legends - Choosing one of the 11 Main Characters, for their own storyline, allows you to walk-through their specific quests and work your way to their ultimate goal.
Gladiator - Rise up through the ranks of the Arena! The Arena is a multistage endurance that pits your character build against arena monsters, other characters, even dopplegangers - How long can you stay Arena Champion?
New Hero - Ultimately, it will rely on a new champion of Roguehaven to rise from the ashes of the world and band the heroes together to defeat the Khan and the Shadow Thrones once and for all... and as you find the legends, one by one, you begin to build your forces, and prepare for the final assault on the Shadow Thrones themselves.

Of course, the title screen will also have a credits page, a sit and vibe to the music of Roguehaven, and of course, a splash page offering links to places like save-point.org and jayraymultimedia.com amongst a few others.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Taylor - 04-16-2014

[Image: bestiarywork_08.jpg]

boop.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - MetalRenard - 04-16-2014

Can you give a few details about that screenie please? It looks nice and the creature art is good but I'm not really sure of the context. For example, why have several characters analysed the creature (top left), is there a reason the lizard (mid-right) is on a stick (being cooked?), why are there two screens, one above and one below? ...

This isn't criticism though, I think it's good, I just want context so I can give you good feedback. :3

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - MechanicalPen - 04-16-2014

I'm pretty sure that is four screenshots pasted into the same image.

I am interested to know what differences, if any, having different PCs analyze a monster creates.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Taylor - 04-17-2014

The top left is the menu of the bestiary/enemy data screen. The "Analysed By" shows who has used a Scan-type skill on an enemy. Each character can use the scan skill (if they know it) and can give different opinions/advice on every enemy. Some characters see different things, some aren't so good at giving advice or aren't specific. This might give a good example, but I wouldn't call them good descriptions...

As a result, the enemy examples shown (which may not be in the game itself) have several different statuses:
The top right one was recently scanned by the third character Metia, and shows his thoughts on the enemy. Metia is more thorough, and gives more stat information. The enemy has also been defeated before, and shows loot dropped.
The bottom left has been defeated before, so there's still loot info, but it hasn't been analysed, so we get ~NO DATA~.
The bottom right has been analysed by Mea. Most characters, including Mea, only give blurbs like such. They could give things Metia doesn't, but usually neglect elemental affinities. Also, since this hasn't been defeated, no loot information is shown.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - MechanicalPen - 04-17-2014

Art-wise it is very pretty! I'm not sure I understand the use game design-wise, however. I get to waste six turns analyzing instead of one? Why would a player analyze with anyone except Metia?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 04-21-2014

[Image: 10275421_510574935715099_6452209389073362504_o.png]

Okay, so I began working on the New Hero Screen, which will sort of take your combinations and create your class, bonuses and other things, as well as tailor fit a background storyline as well as position your character in a starting area depending on your choices and more...

To avoid a cliche... Every nation will have at least 5 cities, so different families will have ties in at least one of those cities, friendship and downright hostility will be within grasp as well, and who knows, there might be extra quests depending on how things play out. If you're say a Syldai Reyd from Merede, you might not be very well liked by the Devantis family... Devantis NPCs might look badly on you, and some shopkeepers might just flat refuse to sell to you... Depending on your father's and mother's profession, you might have certain allies in that career field, and might even have learned about certain events of your childhood that someone in your specific combination might not have known.

All in all, the ideas is loosely based on Paul Jaquay's "Central Casting" from 1979.