Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 10-10-2013

are the inventory and equipment screens done in the same way?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 10-11-2013

You betcha! Configuration with volume control, mini-game menus, character training, and various information screens are all handled this way while the game map remains active. What I did eliminate was a 'main menu' and a status menu. Who needs a status menu if your equipment menu can set up to show everything anyway?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 10-11-2013

alright i quit

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 10-12-2013

lol, sounds awesome DerVVulfman.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 10-14-2013

(10-10-2013, 05:04 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Yep. Each screen uses an actual background image with transparencies so you can see the field map underneath... which is still ACTIVE! I have nearly 10 races, and each has their own background image style and custom 'rectangle' cursor. I have green and brown nature styles in mind, along with a fairly HAIRY look for a particularly NASTY race.
Now I'm filled with morbid curiosity! Grinning

I do agree that it looks pretty spectacular.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 10-14-2013

Adding backgrounds into a menu screen isn't that hard. You basically create a blank sprite at the beginning of the system (including the picture filename of course), and disposing it when you exit the menu. At the same time, I made all the windows in the menus totally transparent so you do not see the windowskins and borders. I use a module containing a list of pics from which to choose my background ('Skill-Hairy","Skill-Scaly","Skill-Marble", etc). Moghunter did the whole 'background-image-for-menu' thing years ago and I've studied his basic technique which was quite simple. Rewrote them to make them cleaner of course.

The hard part was to integrate that with my Menu in Maps system. That system puts all your menus straight into the MAP system itself and eliminates your need for a main menu (ie... press 'I' for Items menu, press 'S' for Skills). You need a compatible keyboard script and a hella lot of tweaking, but what do you expect?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - JayRay - 10-21-2013

even though it's not in a screen yet, I DO have a map to show off... (no trees or houses, just the landscape.)

[Image: mapteaser.png]

Like I said the file is a biggun... Feedback?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 10-21-2013

It looks a little more top-town angled than I'm used to, but this is without a point of reference or scale. It might help if there was a familiar object of the same scale in the terrain. Also... it's quite green. A lot o' lichen on the stonework with little gray from the granitework I guess.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Steel Beast 6Beets - 10-21-2013

I think you could make the rocks a bit more gray to help them stand out from the background.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - DerVVulfman - 11-07-2013

OMG. Another screenshot from DerVVulfman????? The end of the world is nigh!!!

.png   Shopping.png (Size: 156.94 KB / Downloads: 24)

I had a little fun with my shop system. You can see through the transparencies (though barely) and see the characters underneath. The fonts were altered so I can get more items per page. And the possessions / stats window can show a whole lot more data than before.

And if you are wondering if I changed the windowskin compared to the last shot... Kinda. The other background design is used for dragon-borne characters. This border/background/skin design is for something... else.