Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 12-25-2011

I mess up on my light sources sometimes too, just try to pay attention to where yours is when drawing. If you're shrinking that down to RM resolution, be prepared for some cleanup work, just know alot of the quality is going to be lost. I would curve the labels on your jar so they wrap around it instead of looking like a pasted on square.

I've updated my tileset slightly, just added a new cactus and made a grass/sand autotile. I brightened the ladder a bit, but its still hard to see, I'll take care of the other issues eventually, I've got a long list of future to-do's with this set.

[Image: Desert8.png]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Charlie Fleed - 12-25-2011

It's snowing on the desert!! XD
Besides that, it's really nice. Just it's weird to find a big tree with leaves where cacti grow... are you going to add water?

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Hybrida - 12-26-2011

Oasis.... You know, those ponds found in deserts? Might be nice to see one. Ohh, lookie.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HrTpYOgiP7s/TfhKoommLiI/AAAAAAAAAcM/_OMNOEPz4Ag/s1600/hucachina-oasis-1.jpg

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 12-26-2011

EJlol's critique is still noted in my main development notes, but I've got expansion and tile moving that I plan to get done first before I address the issues. I did do some random updates, added depth to my cliff sides, minor things like that. Functionally, I'm pleased with the tileset, but I've sat down and wrote a nitpick on each individual tile, so I'll probably revisit each one when I begin moving everything around.

[Image: Kain%20Desert.png]

An oasis in the desert? Well I originally planned this set to be a tropical beach and I still have the tiles I used for the water so...

[Image: Kain%20Desert%20B.png]

...that is what I have for now. It suffers from square-itis and I'll have to smooth out the edges and blend in the water layers and yadda yadda, but I'm getting there eventually. The water is animated, but I think the blending throws it off so I'll have to figure something out.

Here's the battleback and my cheap CBS mockup with some custom battlers...

[Image: DesertBattle.png]

This is so WIP and subject to change, I plan on cutting back the status/command windows and making more real estate for the battlers and battleback itself, it just feels so cramped. I'm gonna see if I can step into the world of animated battlers too which is probably going to be the hardest thing I've ever done, wish me luck.

Oh yeah, I made pizza for everyone! I've still got last minute touch ups (and more toppings to add), the pan itself needs to be shaded, each pizza is going to be divided into slices, etc.

[Image: pizza4urfamilylol.png]

Alright, I'm done for now, I promise! :D

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 12-26-2011

i like those mushrooms and that clamapus

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - MetalRenard - 12-26-2011

Your desert tileset is one of the best I've seen, great work buddy!

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - XPlunatic - 12-26-2011

Very impressive! I see you're using the cactus that you made a drawing tutorial about. The battleback's good too.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Charlie Fleed - 12-26-2011

That tall palm tree has something not right in the trunk... I doesn't seem viewed from above. I think those horizontal lines should be more curved so to suggest the point of view.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 12-27-2011

I could go onto a whole other subject with palm trees, I've got a chunk written about them in my development notes. That one, after I re-shade it, is going to be in a more domesticated set, and I'm going to do things more like this to the ones that grow wild in the desert. I plan on doing a whole set of palm tree styles, with variations on trunk curves, trunk textures, different styled leaves, etc.

btw thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna try to get to that as soon as I get my daughter to sleep :D

http://stevegarufi.com/palm-trees/photos.htm

This is the main link of references I've got, if anybody stumbles upon a better collection of photos feel free to link me!

Edit: So yeah, I was about to work on the palm trees when I stumbled on the original water tiles I was looking for. Compare both styles and... yeah, I've gotta find a happy medium between the two.

Style A : You can see the floor, it appears you can walk across. I like the color blend a little more in this set, the deep water feels alot deeper.
[Image: Kain%20Desert%20B.png]

Style B : The water is blended together smoothly, it has a nice wavy animation, but now its not obvious there is a shallow part to cross.
[Image: Kain%20Desert%20B2.png]

I took more observational notes, just gotta keep on keepin' on!

Edit: Found another quick minute to work on this, just fixed some minor mapping errors. Don't know how much further I'll be able to get today.

[Image: Kain%20Desert%20B4.png]

Edit again: sprited a soldier with my template.

[Image: Soldier.gif]

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - KasperKalamity - 12-27-2011

i like the newer tiles, they look less boxy than the older ones.