Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - computerwizoo7 - 12-20-2010

use number 2 and you want to use color darkening instead of gray.
so make your green look a little bit darker then you might want to increase your red.(now the colored plants on your map will seem more appealing and compliment the forest)

even so, you need to make the place look a little more crowded with wildlife.
so use up some events and layers to make it look even more dense.
not in the walkways, around them. think of the forest like a place with just about no space or little space to walk then cut out a walkway. meaning limited places to walk + specific places to walk that people did.

you don't want dead trees to ruin your scene, you want a nice and healthy forest, right?

remember, somewhere in your forest there MUST be a river.

the mountains are too square, make them curve more and sometimes curve out and then in.

after you do all that, add some fog, that would be leaf/forest fog(you know the one) and then do a custom image showing a series of light rays that made it way to the lower portion of the forest.

if you do that, then you won't believe that it's rpg maker ^_^

last thing to do, add people/animals and the you're good to go, rpg maker award ^_^

optional, an ingame HUD. it's the perfect(as close as you can get) informative eye candy.

after all that, show me what you turned up with.

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - MetalRenard - 12-20-2010

That's some very good advice there ^ .
What I would add is that the grass isn't thick enough for a forest.
Here, a tip on how to make things more realistic:
Do you know how plants grow? The roots grow first downwards then the top grow upwards. Plants that grow near a rocky/hard area (since mountains go as far underground as above ground) are more vigorous because the roots have to struggle at first to get water. They grow up to twice as many roots! In the long run, the trees near the rocks would be more successful and the ones in the middle would be strangled by them.
SO?
The trees in the valley (centre of screen) should be closer to the edges !

(ALL THAT FOR THIS?!!!)

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - Kristovski - 12-20-2010

I like the maps. I have to agree that there should be a fog on this. I also suggest having less grass, as grass doesn't really grow in forests. Fox is right about the trees need to be hugging the rocks more too. A river to the right would look really nice, maybe even a waterfall there.

Kristo you are absolutely right about grass in forests. My bad.

lolz, forget everything those two said and follow what i said and you won't go wrong.

after you have completed what i explained, then you can mess it up... i mean customize by adding other comments.

Quote:lolz, forget everything those two said and follow what i said and you won't go wrong.
What? I compliment you and you brush me aside?

I offered 100% accurate information on how trees grow so it would be more realistic. I didn't disagree with anything you said, I added to it. You have the cheek to tell him to ignore what we said even though it's just as valid as what you said? /rant over

Seriously though, no, don't ignore what we said.

- Trees go closer to edges in valleys
- Less grass and more dried leaves, pines etc on the floor.

>.< i don't want him trying to put everything into the one map.

anyway, let's just wait and see the result,

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - deValdr - 12-20-2010

ComputerWizoo, please be polite. Telling someone to ignore all feedback except yours isn't a very good style D:

Content Hidden

RE: Maps and screenshots thread - MagitekElite - 12-20-2010

Okay, here is another shot. I tried to put as many wild life and trees in as possible. I'm still editing over it, but I am finished with the overall "design" of it". I applied the shade to the best I could do. I didn't know if you meant increase the red > or lower it <.

I couldn't do the light beams, I don't have any picture for that...

Content Hidden

I tried the curves of the mountains differently and that's what I got. I'll keep experimenting with the mountains though.

And here it is with a tone over it:
Content Hidden

@MetalRenard:
I tried to put as many trees near the edges as I could! I hope this map is better xD

@Kristovski:
As for the waterfall suggestion....Mine are ragged, better than the square version, but the waterfalls don't match with it xD

remember that you can add pieces of tree tiles, you don't have to add the entire thing.
with that, add more trees to the side and replace your dead tree(one in the middle) with green one.(seems like a monster tree)

you don't want to have only green in your forest so you have to add colors(mushrooms and other plants with distinct colors)

there is no fog.

you didn't add the custom light rays ~_~

overall, need more work.

fog:
[Image: Forest.png]

light rays(custom image):
[Image: lw3f.png]