Save-Point
Maps and screenshots thread - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Maps and screenshots thread (/thread-2870.html)

Maps and screenshots thread - Jophie - 11-05-2009

Yeah, we're looking for texture artists currently to make it....not so white! Hmm, windows, windows.... I'll try to find a place to add modeled windows, or just do them all by textures (which was the first intention).

- Jophie

Maps and screenshots thread - Icarus Featherfight - 11-05-2009

Looking back a bit...

Lunarea Wrote:[Image: MaisChurch.png]

Church of Mais, in Freas. It's just a simple prayer area, and up the stairs are the healing chambers and the lead priest's living quarters.

Mais is the goddess of healing.

Thoughts and feedback are welcome! :)

This map looks excellent Lunarea, as usual with your work on Interim. The stone statue and pillars are particularly well done and the prayer area is well balanced. However, there are three things to do with perspective that seem slightly off to me. The first is, as Kain mentioned, the stairs. The stairs are too broad and either need to be narrower or shifted down so that the footboard lines up with the top of the first step in both cases. Next, the perspective of the large flowerpots seems skewed like we aren't looking down into them enough. Finally, the small flower pot seems flat since, with the leaf there, the top line appears to be straight. There not much to improve on; all in all, it looks great. I've alway found the soft colours you use appealing and I especially like the blue tiled floor.

~~~

Kain Nobel Wrote:
Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Any C&C would be appreciated, I've got alot of autotile work that I need to do for these.

Kain, nice job so far. The front facing roof tiles seem flat though. In the RTP, they are shaded darker towards the bottom to create depth. Perhaps you could do something like that. The cave entrances look great. I notice that you have larger rocks at the base of your cliffs. Maybe you could add them as a partial tile placed at the base of the cliff as it goes up. At the moment these tilesets are a good work in progress.

Maps and screenshots thread - Kain Nobel - 11-06-2009

@Lunarea : There is one thing that I overlooked that I think could be fixed; the benches in your church. Reason I say is because, when I initially saw them, they looked more like tables than they did seating. I would move the bottom of the backside up, and add legs to it, and repaste the books onto the back after its finished then it would look just right.

Also, there is a problem with the legs of your tables the candles and book are on; realistically, that top would be way too heavy for those tiny table legs to hold them up, and if someone was to accidentally run into it, it would most likely collapse. I would suggest widening the legs as it would make that piece of the set look more realistic and stable.

Lastly, the blue stone floor looks great, but I'm not digging the walls being so white in contrast with the ground, it really throws it off in my eyes. I would experiment with changing the color for it; I'm thinking something along the lines of a light grey or maybe even a light blue would give it more atmosphere.

Keep in mind, these are tiny nitpicks more than anything, all-in-all I'm really enjoying the look of the set. (Okay, final nitpick, I swear... your shadows are way too dark.) I would love to see your progress on this, keep up the hard work !

Maps and screenshots thread - Lunarea - 11-06-2009

@Rusty:
Thanks! I do prefer the side-view stairs since they aren't around very often. But I might do a front-view staircase for some other areas.

@Icarus Featherfight:
Thank you.

I will take a look at the flower pots. They're my earliest work on the tileset, so their quality might not be up to the rest of the set. I think they could benefit from some more contrast or perhaps even a recolor.

@Kain Nobel:
I appreciate the input!

I noticed the issue with the stairs being too high and I've moved them down accordingly. I'll probably have a light effect character set on the candles, though I'm still playing around with implementing the idea just right. I've been trying to limit events where I can as I'm concerned about lagging issues.

The benches aren't really benches. They're booth seats, though I should probably remake them and make the "padded" part more evident. The candle table is a fold-out table that's actually bolted to the wall. The weight is on the brackets on the back. There's another area where you see the side-view of the candles and you can see the brackets.

I'll see what I can do about the shadows. I used pure black at 50% opacity. I might borrow the purple shadows RTP uses instead. I also have a different color for the walls of other areas, but I find that the white adds to the "holy" atmosphere better. I'll play around with it anyway.
-
I like your screenshots. The colors are very strong and I think your trees turned out especially well. The only thing that bugs me (and this is purely personal preference) is that it's very heavy on texture/detail. It's most apparent in the house screenshot. And while there's nothing wrong with texture, my eye tends to wander around without focusing. What might help is if you had just low-texture green grass with patches of longer grass to break up monotony. Also, perhaps bigger shingles on the roof would work better on the scale of the image you're working with.

Maps and screenshots thread - Jophie - 11-06-2009

@Lunarea - The flowerpots are kins of flat compared to everything else, but mostly it looks great to me, since well... I can't sprite a tileset to save my life.

@Kain - I don't even know how you sprite your own stuff....but the style you have is amazing to me. Those openings in the cave are just... mindblowing x.x; Overall you just have a great style.

And of the outside of restaurant?:
[Image: untitled02.jpg]

- Jophie

Maps and screenshots thread - XP Kobold - 11-30-2009

@Jophie The outside restaurant map looks very nice and detailed though i am curious how will this would work for the inside of the restaurant as well?

Well here's a test of world map using converted resources to make it work for XP.

Maps and screenshots thread - Alpha-Mad - 11-30-2009

nice...

Maps and screenshots thread - XP Kobold - 11-30-2009

@alpha-mad Thanks though there one thing i don't like about xp is having up to seven autotiles but i know there are scripts that get around that limitation.

Maps and screenshots thread - Lunarea - 12-13-2009

[Image: Forest2.png]

A forest at night. There are also fireflies on the map, but they flicker on and off, so they're tough to capture in an image. It's a really simple map, since it's at the beginning of the game. Mainly, it's just experimenting with the new trees. I'll likely add a little detail here and there to break up the big field of grass.

Oh, and I know there's a missing patch of grass near the bottom. I fixed it but didn't upload a new version of the image.

Maps and screenshots thread - computerwizoo7 - 12-15-2009

just experimenting to get a design for modern buildings for my project: BrainWiz

can i get some comments on how the building look/how i modeled the map?

sample map:

[Image: new_building_style.png]